Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Telling Your Loved Ones Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:54 pm
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
Usually there is a ritual whereby someone accepts the covenant with YHWH; a lot of people consider this baptism though in Catholicism it's Confirmation.

Guess that makes me an Oathbreaker to YHVH then.

Unfortunate.

Yeah. I think he has bigger fish to fry... hope, perhaps?

*shrug*

I don't feel threatened by him. It's more of a embarrassing realization than anything. I'm more worried about making a wrong move with the Aspects and getting squished like a bug.

I am still a bit tiny in their world. x_x  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 pm
I was baptized. So I'm an oath-breaker to YHVH too emo . So that also means I'm ********.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:57 pm
Recursive Paradox
I don't feel threatened by him. It's more of a embarrassing realization than anything. I'm more worried about making a wrong move with the Aspects and getting squished like a bug.

*gives you a hard, beetley exoskeleton*  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:02 pm
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox

Yay! Am I shiny? Please can I be shiny?  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox

Yay! Am I shiny? Please can I be shiny?

Shiny like a sacred beetle that collects dung! wink  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 am
Recursive Paradox
Taliah
For one, I still live in their house. Openly declaring I am not of the religion they believe in, and then expecting them to accept it without much scruple is naive, as well as disrespectful to their home rules and beliefs.

Expecting them to accept it without issue is disrespectful or disclosing to them that you follow a different religion is disrespectful?

I guess that wasn't very clear was it?

Since they raised me with full intentions of being Christian, it is disrespectful of me to shun their choices made in my best interests while still in their household and under their care. I've considered it something like spitting on them for offering me healthy, hearty soup for my soul, but getting the flavor wrong.

However, once I've moved out and started my own family, then they leave those decisions to me, because I am technically not under their charge anymore (even still, I feel awful because they will believe I am going to Hell, and think they were bad parents).  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 am
Taliah
Since they raised me with full intentions of being Christian, it is disrespectful of me to shun their choices made in my best interests while still in their household and under their care.

Unfortunately, it isnt always possible to not reveal it. The whole reason my Mom knows is she found one of my Seax-Wica books in my car (back when I still believed in hiding books). To be honest, I almost consider not telling your parents to be even more disrespectful. Because then you're fooling them even longer, and are possibly still worshipping in church, even if it is lip-service.

Deoridhe
Like I said, I'm damn lucky, especially considering how seriously Oaths are taken by my gods.

Out of curiosity, do you have any experiences with them that makes you think that they'll accept someone that broke an oath, but then rebuilt their image? Cause thats what I've been doing the past few years sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 am
I think I got a lucky break 3nodding

A quick prayer to said deity, no explicit or noticably implicit acceptance of any covenant, a decade and a half of laboring through boring preachers picking apart 2-3 verses of the bible taken completely out of context every weekend, and no oath in sight 3nodding

*Does his not an oathbreaker dance*

Now, back on topic, haven't told my parents, don't really plan to do so. Sort of an unspoken rule in the house that no one talks about religion of any kind of any time unless absolutely necessary. Everyone sorta has an idea of what everyone else is though sweatdrop  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 am
I have a kind of don't ask don't tell thing going with my parents. As long as they do not ask me or my husband what our faith is then we don't tell them. Then again this is a long used tactic in my family, if Mom doesn't ask you a direct question you don't offer up any information. Keeps things much more peaceful sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am
Deoridhe
Deoridhe
Gho the Girl
. . . I was baptised. . . s**t.

*puts a hand gently on your shoulder* I'm sorry, but you're doomed.

....fine, it actually varies a lot from sect to sect. Usually some sort of actually being old enough to walk and talk and think is considered required. I do feel bad for anyone who went through with confirmation, though. I mean, "Opsie" doesn't really work.
Well, by baptised, I mean I was fully immersed in water at ooooo 12 or so.  

Gho the Girl

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 am
I was christened at age 3 by my parents who are atheist anyway.
I did not have any day in the matter, surely this cannot be considered me taking an oath with YHVH.

When I 'converted' (i never was christian anyway) I did pray and apologize.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am
patch99329
I was christened at age 3 by my parents who are atheist anyway.
I did not have any day in the matter, surely this cannot be considered me taking an oath with YHVH.

When I 'converted' (i never was christian anyway) I did pray and apologize.

Well, the whole "Parents can't make choices for their children which the child is then bound to" phenomenon is a rather recent concept, and certainly not valid throughout most of the Bible. I mean, seriously, with all that "your children and your children's children" crap seems pretty telling ninja  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Unfortunately, it isnt always possible to not reveal it. The whole reason my Mom knows is she found one of my Seax-Wica books in my car (back when I still believed in hiding books). To be honest, I almost consider not telling your parents to be even more disrespectful. Because then you're fooling them even longer, and are possibly still worshipping in church, even if it is lip-service.

Yes, I understand this too. While I haven't directly said I don't believe I'm Christian to my parents, I have given subtle hints that I'm learning about other religions, and since I've always been interested in History anyway, they don't see this as abnormal for me. It's not much, and it does occur to me that my dishonesty may make things worse, but I want to be more knowledgeable about myself before I tell them anything of that magnitude.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 pm
My parents understand that I'm immensely studious and I read a lot. It was kind of surprising back in Grade 9 when I started to just bring home stacks of religion books from the library, but now they're used to it and are none the wiser.

Of course, my parents don't understand that there are Atheistic schools of Hinduism and always are confused by that from my sister. Of course, they also thought she was going Muslim because she started to go to vegetarianism and cut out pork first. sweatdrop  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm
Taliah
Recursive Paradox
Taliah
For one, I still live in their house. Openly declaring I am not of the religion they believe in, and then expecting them to accept it without much scruple is naive, as well as disrespectful to their home rules and beliefs.

Expecting them to accept it without issue is disrespectful or disclosing to them that you follow a different religion is disrespectful?

I guess that wasn't very clear was it?

No worries. It's why I asked. ^^

Quote:
Since they raised me with full intentions of being Christian, it is disrespectful of me to shun their choices made in my best interests while still in their household and under their care. I've considered it something like spitting on them for offering me healthy, hearty soup for my soul, but getting the flavor wrong.

But that's just it, flavor is just a minor subjective issue. Flavor of soup would be analogous to changing your sect of Christianity, not leaving the religion entirely.

The whole idea behind leaving a faith and entering another one is because the previous is wholly unsuited to you and your needs. And the new one is what you need.

Think if your parents gave you that soup again, but you were lactose intolerant and the soup had milk added. Is it really so disrespectful to ask for a different dish that won't make your insides go boom?

I mean don't rub it in their faces and make mean jokes or constantly remind them of your new religious beliefs. But it's never felt disrespectful to me to share with my family what was happening in such an important part of my life.

I didn't share it with my brothers though, not until they were both old enough to make their own religious decisions (15~16 in my family's estimation) and that's because my family was attempting to raise them Catholic and I have no right to interfere in that.

Quote:
even still, I feel awful because they will believe I am going to Hell, and think they were bad parents.

Yeah that would definitely suck. My mom has the view that people who live saintly or good lives will still go to heaven, maybe with a small stint in purgatory (which I think she's mistaken purgatory for Sheol) and my younger brother has absorbed that idea. I dunno what my dad believes honestly.

So for my family things aren't quite that bad.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff