Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Random thoughts - possibly discussion, maybe not, who knows? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:38 am
Invictus_88
The people are "Interesting". That is a very polite word for my yoghurt fuelled whitetextedness. Others would call it anarchic and sinful perversity.
Luckily, all those dangerous Christian extremists are on the other side of the Atlantic.. wink
I'm not sure I could actually bring myself to forsake all you people, I may vanish for a few months just before, during and after Sandhurst. Yet I hope to be here when Illy's age. Not that she'd old, just, y'know, older than me.
*hides*

Yes...they are very interesting, on the whole...Albeit mildly insane....and if you wish to live long enough to see Sandhurst, the age comments should stop now...heheh  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:42 am
Arivel
whapcapn
Nebelstern
Arivel
Nebelstern
whapcapn
Invictus_88
*laughs*
You are powerless to stop it! BWAHAHA!!

*Writes something meaningless in visible text*
Never, I say! I bless myself in the name of Jesus!

Jesus? Why does he have to be brought into all this? xp
As I often say, DON'T get me started on the farsical nature of religion...

Because, Jesus has to be in Everything. He is, after all, the son of the the "god" who created Everything. rolleyes Heh. I've been going to church my whole life. My mum's a very religious person and She says I don't have the option of not going. I hate it... But don't worry, I have no plans of getting you started on the whole farsical nature of religion...

Yes! NEVER get me started on the farsical nature of religion. I'd burn the churches...etc...
Sorry if I offended anyone...

Noo! You must love Jesus! Every day, as soon aas you wake up, you must do the Jesus dance, for every day is a Jesus day. And above all, you must help to sacrifice to Jesus those who make him cry.

*hates jesus* Heh, What is the Jesus dance? Would you like to demonstrate? And also, are you going to sacrifice Me and Invi and Si and Illy and everyone else who uses the dreaded white text? I cannot wait...

Jesus...has...a DANCE??? eek
Dear Lord *irony*
rolleyes  

Nebelstern
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:22 am
Arivel
whapcapn
Nebelstern
Arivel
Nebelstern
whapcapn
Invictus_88
*laughs*

Because, Jesus has to be in Everything. He is, after all, the son of the the "god" who created Everything. rolleyes Heh. I've been going to church my whole life. My mum's a very religious person and She says I don't have the option of not going. I hate it... But don't worry, I have no plans of getting you started on the whole farsical nature of religion...

Yes! NEVER get me started on the farsical nature of religion. I'd burn the churches...etc...

Noo! You must love Jesus! Every day, as soon aas you wake up, you must do the Jesus dance, for every day is a Jesus day. And above all, you must help to sacrifice to Jesus those who make him cry.

*hates jesus* Heh, What is the Jesus dance? Would you like to demonstrate? And also, are you going to sacrifice Me and Invi and Si and Illy and everyone else who uses the dreaded white text? I cannot wait...

I speak figuratively, of course.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:45 am
Nebelstern

The aesthetic in me doesn't like that plan. Churches are really pretty.  

Invictus_88
Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:50 am
Christianity in the UK is the most overblown political manouver ever  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:52 am
Invictus_88
Nebelstern

Didn't I say don't provoke me!
Well, you asked for it!!

1. Religion is farsical, contains many loopholes etc.
2. I really have better things to do with my life that to pray to some idol.
3. I feel there is no need to waste time believing in something that has not made itself apparent to me.
4. All religions promote are warfare, disagreement (hence this rant) and suffering.
5. Churches can screw themselves as they have no real function - only to drain the funds of the country etc.
6. The pope has to be one of the falsest jobs on the planet. He gets none o' my grief.
7. Catholics are weird, prejudiced fools.

I told you!! scream

*calms self* So don't preach religion to me.
stare  

Nebelstern
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:09 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern

Well, you asked for it!!

3. I feel there is no need to waste time believing in something that has not made itself apparent to me.
4. All religions promote are warfare, disagreement (hence this rant) and suffering.
5. Churches can screw themselves as they have no real function - only to drain the funds of the country etc.
6. The pope has to be one of the falsest jobs on the planet. He gets none o' my grief.

I told you!! scream

stare

Not all religion...Paganism is alright, no gods, no war....Just acceptance  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern

Well, you asked for it!!

I told you!! scream

stare

Ohyes! biggrin

*debate sparked and opposition brought to combat*

I didn't preach religion, I defended the churches. Priceless temples to human ability and craftsmanship, a part of our history and culture. However, you brought your guns to bear on the church and so despite having long-since left them, I will offer a few counterpoints.

1) Yes, religious doctrine does have loopholes and indeed may easily seem farcical. If you mean contradictions and flaws of logic. Yet so too do many things, from philosophy to physics. This point therefore would not compel you to oppose the church unless you also and equally opposed philosophy, politics and physics on the same grounds.

2) Fine. Others may place more value on it. It helps people to focus themselves, it is not so different from meditation really. It does no harm, so abolition of the church based upon the fact that some people perceive themselves to have better things to do falls into a disproportionate action and thus an invalid one.

3) Again. Others do, indeed, far cleverer, wiser and more extensively educated people than yourself. Thus, the beliefs of the atheist world will not win over the beliefs of the theistic world. They both have ignorants and wise men arguing for their respective support. This point could only stand (and then, only just) if you accepted that atheism should be abolised because a theist deems it a waste of time.

4) You know that they promote more noble virtues than that, everyone does, so your statement is invalid. To take it further though, they only support war when it is for what they percieve to be the greater good, greater good being subjective it is non-falsifiable and so it is logically unsound to abolish the churches on the grounds that you believe it to be for the greater good. They do cause disagreement but they do not favour it, politics, greed, lust, business and human nature all cause the same. Do we abolish those too? Suffering is caused by the church, but the suffering they prevent is far outweighed by that which they cause.

5) They do not drain funds from a country, they act as a non-governemntal form of local taxation whereby the members of the church give according to their ability and the money is distributed to the poor, sick and disabled of that area. Your point has been falsified and so adds no weight to your already zeroed argument.

6) The role of a figurehead is important, and his signatures are required to pass church doctrine. He is the papal monarchy without the profit but with an element of democracy. It has no bearing on our country and he is the leader of only one part of the church, not the broader church of Christianity. As such, abolition of the entire church based upon a value judgment on the leader of one section of it, would be logically invalid. He only effects part of the church. Point removed.

7) Some are. So are some atheists. So are some foreigners. So are some British people. To abolish a church because some people who comprise it conform to certain set criteria would oblige you to abolishing all other organisations. This point only stand if that is also your intention.

Regards,

Invictus
, 1st Duke of Pwnage.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:53 am
You really went all out there.

I suppose I am small-minded about such things...
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:58 am
Yeah, I do. Nothing personal though, I'm an agnostic and I left the Catholic church because of their doctrinal flaws.

I've studied Theology for three years and I'm doing Philosophy at university. I like honing by debatingness.

3nodding

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:01 am
I was actually Christened at birth. I hate the fact that I was, and as I cannot become an un-christian, I prefer to ignore it.
xd  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:17 am
Nebelstern
Arivel
whapcapn
Nebelstern
Arivel
Nebelstern
whapcapn
Invictus_88
*laughs*

Jesus...has...a DANCE??? eek
Dear Lord *irony*
rolleyes

Of course Jesus has a dance! He's the Lord of it!
I was going to try to make a serous contribution to the thread, but I've probably already said it all in my previous post...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:35 am
I'm truly amazed. This thread has gone completely off topic, and managed to get back on again.
*applauds*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:34 am
whapcapn
I'm truly amazed. This thread has gone completely off topic, and managed to get back on again.
*applauds*

I think we should all observe this historic moment by deviating once again from the topic. Which has already begun with this post. Apologies.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Arivel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:30 pm
Nebelstern
I was actually Christened at birth. I hate the fact that I was, and as I cannot become an un-christian, I prefer to ignore it.
xd

I was baptised when I was 11. It was supposed to be my choice, but it really wasn't. Mum wanted me to be the first young person in the church to be baptised. And then everyone else my age got baptised right after I did. I guess I wanted it. But now I hate the fact that I did it. I didn't really understand what I was doing, and now I feel like I'm living a sort of lie. Everyone at church thinks I'm a devoted Christian. And I'm not. I don't even believe in God. Heh... sweatdrop I also prefer to ignore the fact that I did it. Though I guess I really can't with church and all that crap... xp  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff