Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Valentines day approacheth - do you boycott it? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boycott Valentine's day?
  Yes
  No
  Not Sure
View Results

TybaltGamemaster

nuGen Staff Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Committee Staff 25
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 pm
I think it's depressing because my girlfriend is in another state. It sucks.
I have yet to meet anyone (in person) who actually looks forward to it. I'm still trying to figure out can I visit her, if not, what I ought to do to commorate it.
I guess my point is, it's more then just singles awareness day. It's all relationship promblems awareness day.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 pm
Oh, you dissenters are all bitter. Go out and enjoy your lack of being tethered and stop wallowing in your angst- you can do that with your significant other when and if you find them.

I for one have never participated in the courting ritual in any form, but I do enjoy those chalky little heart-candies that make great (or greatly ironic, I'm not sure) projectiles and the sales on chocolates which were mass-produced for the season but not sold off due to tough economic times/rough or nonexistent relationships/forgetfulness. Besides, I can say that I am the single most spirited person around during Valentine's day- since the season is so dreadfully shallow, I get to be too!
Don't mind that last crack- I'm so revoltingly ironic that sometimes I can't tell where I draw the line between sarcasm and my true feelings.  

The War on Indifference

Durem Raider

ashesoverdiamond

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:25 am
Hm... I've never spent Vlentine's Day with someone, but...well, I rather enjoy romantic gestures, so I think the holiday is sweet. I must agree that it is nice to see so many people outwardly expressing kindness and affection to one another.

In highschool though, it can be a bit annoying how obnoxious people have learned to be with their romantical woes and victories...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:12 am
I've never been overly fond of Valentine's Day, but then again, I've never been with someone on the day. -shrug-
I'm very much in love with my boyfriend and he wants to do something for us that day and I love him enough to let him.
I'm really indifferent to the holiday to be honest.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 am
All my life I thought it was just another "made up holliday".
I find it amusing how it follow so closely to Christmas. Most people are still suffering from the cost of presents, so now another day is forced upon them in which they are mainly suckered into spending 100+ on a date for that very night.

Now that I've grown up a bit, I see it two ways.
One, if you get suckered into buying your GIRLFRIEND of just a few months a necklace/bracelet/ring that cost you at least $100, that's crap. I think expensive gifts should be reserved for years down the road, or extremely special occasions (getting married). Not for that day.
I think people should just take the day off, eat a nice dinner out (or at home), and spend some actual time together.

That link was amusing, and helpful.

No matter the holiday, I will not spend more than $20 for a gift, for a person. Unless I couldn't afford a gift for them on a prior occasion, I'll make it $40.
This year, I'm flat out in debt. How much am I spending on my girlfriend? About $25. That's for a movie and some ice cream. I'm also getting us some salad and our favorite pizza from my mother's work (go FREE!!! seriously, this day should be about small trivial, but kind, gifts. No shiny rocks and gold). To me, that's enough, we'll spend at least 6 hours by ourselves, where we can talk about anything.
To top it off, it's our one year anniversary. Yes, I'm corny and asked her out last valentine's day.

In my opinion though, this day isn't just about romantic love. It's just about love in general. You can always get a friend a nice gift (they might think it a bit weird, maybe some candy. I would find it VERY odd for a guy friend of mine to offer me a diamond necklace/bracelet/ring).

or you can do something nice for someone....like pay their 100$ phone bill.....stupid phone bill.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:54 am
I and my bf don't like the Valentine's day because it's so corny and bleh.
We celebrate Feb 13 as our love day instead because we both love the number 13 smile  

Ametrin

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 am
XWraith_LordX
Keevan, you are inspiring.

ummm, is that a bad thing?

I thought that was what old farts do, kick the young ones in the keister every once in awhile and show em the possibilities that exist when they triumph over their fears and take a chance on the unknown...either that, or at least to celebrate love for love's sake.

Another great example of pure love would be Cassanova. Sure, he was a swindle and cheat, and had several relationships going at the same time (not a very good rolemodel in the healthy relationships department), but he loved the ladies enough to persue as many as possible in his lifetime. He's another phenomenal lover who died, and had a mysterious lady stalker at his grave every year who placed a single red rose upon the steps of his crypt as a tribute to lost love. (hmmm, or was it Valentino? Old age plays tricks on the mind sometimes, and one forgets the fine details, but the intent is all the same. Two gentlemen who loved, with every fiber of their being, the intoxicating rush of love)

So, many of you thought that Valentines day was just another cash cow day for the capitalist robberbarons and their ilk, and not a very gothy celebration of love.....bah! I throw your misplaced scorn to the four winds and raise you a dare...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 pm
Meh... another commercial holiday.  

the_underworks

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm
Keevan Draco
XWraith_LordX
Keevan, you are inspiring.

ummm, is that a bad thing?
No! Of course it isn't! (Well not the way I meant it.)

Valentines Day never really meant that much to me, I never really cared about it that much. You just got me thinking about it more. I've never really been one for relationships but you have made me see Valentines Day in a different light... ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 am
Sir Vincent
I hate holidays created for or corrupted into being about human greed.
I'd like to take the time to randomly point out that those are usually the only honest ones.  

Almarea Morilinde

trampyre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 am
Keevan Draco
You made valentine cards in kindergarden? Rediscover old skills, and dust off that unused creativity.

I couldn't agree more... things you make yourself are the best!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:18 am
GilAskan
Bloody Loon
Call it by it's proper name please.

Happy ******** Single Awareness Day.

Please fall over into a ditch filled with spikes and menacing snapping turtles if you have a partner on this day. Signed: Everyone who can't find a relationship to save their mother's ovaries...

Sour grapes, hmm?

Keevan Draco
Sorry to rain on a hatred parade, but to all the single people here in the guild....

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, this holiday was created especially for you?

[...]

-You achieve nothing from being a coward.-
Rudolf Valentino

wink

Hey, somebody gets it.

Yeah, I used to get all angsty about it too. I think it doesn't help that for some of us the holiday happens around that time of year when the weather is so bleak that our moods are naturally a bit down. It used to depend for me on whether or not I was in a relationship on that day, but now I see it as an excuse to be happy, have more chocolate than usual, and try to show additional appreciation for everyone I care about (like my mom!).

I like the idea of "me" days too, I mean, I think it's a great opportunity to really treat yourself and do something fun. I think one year I just bought myself a treat and sat in a cafe, read, listened to music and contemplated life.  

trampyre

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 pm
Well....there is one person who just maybe, just maybe.....

I have no reliable way of contacting him on Valentine's day though. sad He doesn't have a phone and checks his email twice a year, and might not even be in the country by now. (He joined the marines....)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 am
XWraith_LordX

I have no reliable way of contacting him on Valentine's day though. sad He doesn't have a phone and checks his email twice a year, and might not even be in the country by now. (He joined the marines....)

Although I have respect for people who join the military, I will never understand why people insist on going to war for governments that don't care about them... confused  

Shadowed Intent

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:45 am
Shadowed Intent
XWraith_LordX

Although I have respect for people who join the military, I will never understand why people insist on going to war for governments that don't care about them... confused

Usually, people who join the military aren't going to war "for the government", they go to war for their country. The idea of their country, that is; it's character, it's people, it's values.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff