Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Closed Culture/Open Culture Pantheons Which is which? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm
There is schism in Zoroastrian faiths.
It is explicitly forbidden to proselytize
Some sects claim that means only members of the lineage/culture should be members, others are Avestan, and believe that the faith is open.
I have not a drop of Persian blood and the Amesha have no problem communicating with me, altho I approached them much in the way a foreigner in a satrapy would have, in the days of Cyrus the Great.
Then again, Most of the Mehr successor religions have something of an identity crisis, what with the split between Dhimmi and Diasporans.

Of note, some Asatru maintain that the Aesir are a closed pantheon, and only children of Ash and Elm have any business with them and other should keep to their own people's gods. This is not the majority, but a very significant minority that anyone asking around should be aware of rather than taken by surprise by.

Most holy persons of the Tribes I have spoken to in my area are open to outsiders, but that is far from a sweeping majority. I find it best to ask, given that there are hundreds, if not thousands of distinct groups covered under "Native Americans".

Lastly, I doubt it matters, but there are some pantheons that seem abandoned... be very careful when poking them with sticks. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 pm
Fiddlers Green

Of note, some Asatru maintain that the Aesir are a closed pantheon, and only children of Ash and Elm have any business with them and other should keep to their own people's gods. This is not the majority, but a very significant minority that anyone asking around should be aware of rather than taken by surprise by.
Deo has a great comment on this in Pathways.

She talks about how if this is the case, then the white Italian chick shouldn't be allowed to worship the AEsir, but the black descendant of a Scandinavian Slave Trader should be entitled. As she says " If not, ******** off you worthless, racist twit, and get the ******** out of my religion."

Deo is Love.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm
RubyLight
That sucks. Well, I'm going to start the thread with the information I have so far and use this one for data collection. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, for research on my own, because of school. Any sources and information would be apprecuated. 3nodding

@Tea, if the G word offends you. I'll take it off the thread.
It does offend, I'm just not sure which thread it is being taken off of. I can bring my self to use it in cases of education.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 pm
TeaDidikai

She talks about how if this is the case, then the white Italian chick shouldn't be allowed to worship the AEsir, but the black descendant of a Scandinavian Slave Trader should be entitled. As she says " If not, ******** off you worthless, racist twit, and get the ******** out of my religion."

Deo is Love.

I've seen both sides of that.
I also agree with the above statement.

I mostly wanted to put that out there as fair warning for anyone that asks in person and gets a purist or an asshat. 3nodding  

Fiddlers Green

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Fiddlers Green

Deo is Love.

Indeed she is ^_^

I've never understood that "White N. Europeans only" thing either. I've never figured out how they can say in their own realm of reason "Well, even though you have some N. European in you, you also have -insert minority-, so that excludes you." How does having part minority heritage cancel out the N. European heritage? How do they figure that?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 pm
Ultraviolett1127
How do they figure that?
No clue. Though I think a good argument based on the Havamal could stand to suggest that it was an open tradition.

Hmmmmm.... I may have to put that together some time.

Fiddlers Green

I've seen both sides of that.
I also agree with the above statement.

I mostly wanted to put that out there as fair warning for anyone that asks in person and gets a purist or an asshat. 3nodding
Tis a good thing to include. 3nodding  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 pm
TeaDidikai
Ultraviolett1127
How do they figure that?
No clue. Though I think a good argument based on the Havamal could stand to suggest that it was an open tradition.

Which part of the Havamal?
-nod- That would be an interesting post/infodump 3nodding .

The crazy-Folkish Asatru really really make me nervous. I just....*shudder*
Ugh.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Ultraviolett1127

I'm thinking that there is enough argument within the bounds of hospitality compounded by archeological findings and lore that show that non-Norse people (like a Celt or a Fin) would have been welcome and maybe even encouraged to hail the AEsir/Vanir.

Quote:
Ugh.
Never had any problems with the Folkish ones... the Odinists on the other hand...  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm
Ultraviolett1127
TeaDidikai
Ultraviolett1127
How do they figure that?

Ugh.
Even crazy-Folkish have nothing on the Odalists.

Ah Varg Virkernes, the sometimes intelligent, sometimes delusional, racist, murdering, atheist quasi-Asatru.

Point blank, he's a ******** winner that one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Tea
Vivi
Ugh.
Never had any problems with the Folkish ones... the Odinists on the other hand...

Ah, sorry; I had always equated Folkish to Odinist redface .

Kind of relating....at one of the spectrum you have Folkish, at the other end you have Universalists...isn't there a middle ground of Tribalist? I've heard the term a few times, but never a good definition or description of the stance.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
...atheist quasi-Asatru.
How do you manage that?!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:25 pm
So, I have a friend, he is American, of African and Pacific Islander mix extraction.
He has been to two different Feasts of Ostara with me.
One where we had to rely upon our superior survival and espionage skills to, well, survive. (He is/was an Eagle Scout, I am a field tested Soldier) The other, we got free meade and rabbit.
I've seen both extremes, and, all things considered, it was quite a learning experience.
Altho what "ancestral justice" the former would want to extract on my friend I can not even fathom. sweatdrop  

Fiddlers Green

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:27 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight
That sucks. Well, I'm going to start the thread with the information I have so far and use this one for data collection. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, for research on my own, because of school. Any sources and information would be apprecuated. 3nodding

@Tea, if the G word offends you. I'll take it off the thread.
It does offend, I'm just not sure which thread it is being taken off of. I can bring my self to use it in cases of education.

The guide I started. There is a note that states that it is a racial slur. If you want me to remove it from the post just say the word. I meant no offense. redface  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
...atheist quasi-Asatru.
How do you manage that?!
He believes that Paganism should be an ideology, not a religion, ie. the Gods represent values you should espouse, they don't actually exist.

Odalism is basically Odinism, I just mentally refer it to Vikernes because he's a special nutter snowflake. Both still boil down to the Heathen Front.

Vikernes is the winner and a half who burnt down a couple churches and killed his Mayhem bandmate in Norway some years back. He also sports an obsession with Lord of the Rings - if you've ever seen or heard music by a figure called Burzum, that would be him. His rants on Tolkien abusing the Germanic peoples by either meaning them to be the Orcs or the dirty Rohirrim are... just that, rants. Long rants that go nowhere. Of course, he's in prison, so it's not like he's doing much else.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

error-dot-tar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
...atheist quasi-Asatru.
How do you manage that?!
He believes that Paganism should be an ideology, not a religion, ie. the Gods represent values you should espouse, they don't actually exist.

For Asatruar, that sounds an awful lot like being on crack.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff