Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
Is it possible to 'become' Goth? Or is just natural? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArieirnBloodmark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 pm
I believe that it is ahalf and half thing, as well.

Half and half, because I do not believe that you could be so very optimistic and see nothing but light, and be defined as "Gothic"

Though, you could be optimistic and be "gothic"

Some of the thoughts above are based alot on imagry and musical preferance, but that is not all there is.

Goth is much more a state of mind; and art form, if you will. Than it is about Musical tastes and how you dress.

. . . [Edit from self] A whole bunch of stuff was taken out. [/End Editing Self]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:03 pm
I did not learn to be goth, I simply am. Now that is not saying that I was born with a gene or something that made me goth, there has just always been something in my PERSONALITY that sets my thought process apart from those around me. Maybe it had to do with my home life, maybe it's just me. Whatever, the point is anyone who says "I think I would like to be goth," is trying to be something they're not. You either are or you're not.
However, I think it is possible for a person to have the thought process but not the exposure to the gothic culture to understand what it is. So maybe years down the road they come across a band or a book or something that is considered gothic and it clicks, that little voice in your head goes, "this is me" That I believe.  

Seanna

Xythe Twistvoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:18 pm
Not really. I was born prissy. When I was 3 I had Barbie dolls, I liked a lot of pink, wouldn't even dare look at Hunchback of Notre Dame movie from Disney, didn't like rock, sang to Barbie Girl. Wore dresses, sandals... never used my black crayon at all.

I don't know how I changed, I just did, it just happened, mostly when I began to write. I became more morbid, looked for the darker things, wanted to be so adverse from everyone else. And heck, this all happened even before I heard of Goth.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:38 am
No, I don't believe you can be born goth. People throughout this thread have mentioned that as a child they were 'different'. That doesn't constitute goth, it constitutes individuality emerging sooner than most.
I could sit here and say, yes I played only with my black crayon, my favourite movie was the Adams Family, so yes my mental tendency towards goth was already predetermined. But to say that then I would have to believe that containing all stereotypes of the gothic subculture within ones personality automatically equals goth, and I dont. I know goths who hate things that walk hand and hand with this subculture, I'm talking about music that shaped the scene to what it is today.
I believe you can become goth, but only by embracing the music, clothing, and mindset in your own unique way. Seeing as thats what I see goths as, individuals.  

2on

Syllabic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:08 am
    I don't think it's possible to be born a goth. Some children develop different or unique personalities at an early age, but don't actually have many gothic qualities. They may like some things that would be considered gothic, but if it doesn't strike them as a mirror image or a perfect fit to their personalities, they probably aren't goths. I know that I wasn't born a goth - as a little kid, I liked pink and pop music, and I was obsessed with fashion and 'fitting in.'

So, I think that most people become goths, but it's not an overnight thing. You can't go to sleep one night as one type of person and wake up as a goth the next morning. It's a gradual change. Slowly, through interest in the music, style, and subculture, people can immerse themselves into goth-related things and develop a liking for those things. Things that are related to the gothic subculture can eventually become comfortable and natural to the person - normal parts of their everyday life. I think that's the point at which it would be correct to call oneself a goth.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:22 pm
well
wut happened with me is my life just went downhill
eventually i started calling myself goth cuz i realized thats wut i was
sometimes ur born that way  

gothicrebel

Darken_mortal

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:51 pm
I think its really just a way you think, dress, and act.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:48 am
I also think it's a bit of a half and half thing. I always had the general goth outlook, but it wasn't until I started spending time with other goths, who introduced me to the musical and clothing aspects of gothhood (I like making up words). I've always liked gothic literature and artwork.

I don't think that somehting taumatic has to happen, as someone said. Not all goths have acuteor chronic depression. That's like saying all black people are good at basketball (that was not meant to be racist, it's a genetic fallacy). I know another person who "became" goth, though it was kind of my fault. Poor girl, she was fine until she met me *kidding, I'm not that bad, I promise.*

Anyway, in my opinion, it can be either way. I guess it's sort of like the conflict with homosexuality. Are you born as such, or do you decide to be that way? Sorry, I'm bringing up controversial topics now, so I'm just going to stop. Hope you unerstand what I'm trying to say though!!  

wantondestruction

DehShadow-ness

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:03 pm
i think it depends i was born gothic but never showed it to anyone i would always wear like preppy type clothing so people wouldnt think anything of it but by 6th grade i was just like whatever and started to show i am gothic ever since then i have showed that i am gothic. but i guess it just depends on who you are.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:40 am
you're born goth.
i was born goth. i was born with intelligence, a love of darkness, a literary intelligence(i would very much like to become a fantasy/horror writer), and the odd ability to place myself above and beyond my peers in the areas of philosophy, speculative thinking, and obscure knowledge.

you cant just pick it, even if you like the music. it isnt really about the music, its about the knowledge, and understanding the music itself, not just the lyrics, but the mindset, tone, and mood of it all. and that takes the innate ability because it can vary quite a bit.  

DR490N

Forever_the_child

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:12 am
Honestly i might just be embarissing myself but i think being goth is just something your born into. I think that it all depends on when or if you find that essence in yourself or not i don't think it's possible for someone to become goth i think it is just then finnaly getting themselves out into the way they were meant to be!

well there is my opinion....like it matters but there it is!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:37 pm
I don't think it's something you can just wake up one day and say "I'm going to be goth!". I guess it's based a lot off of my definition of what goth is, but I think it's the way you act, and how you have up to that point that you realise you are. Whether the way you act is a product of your birth, genetics, or reaction to your environment, I don't think it's something that one can just change on a whim.  

Ndoki

2aetH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:29 am
You can be born goth, but you develop the style. Mentally/emotionally yes, look-wise, no.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:23 pm
My personal belief is that you can't choose to become goth, but you'll either like it or not. Over time, as your tastes change, you can grow into or out of the scene, but I don't think it's a matter of choice. This is why I hate when people say things like "_______ went goth" or "_________ should so go goth". I don't really think it's something you can just become, but something you are or aren't, something that you may become gradually or gradually cease being.  

GilAskan
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:57 am
i've always been a little morbid and dark, as i got older, my personality became more pronounced and evolved a bit and i just became goth...my personality has just gotten stronger i guess and developed, now i'm with other people like me, just like all the sports kids hang out together no matter how they got into it, they might have always licked it or their person. just changed a bit because of things in their enviorment or something causeing them to get more active in it, just like any group.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff