Should I be looking down on people? =_= Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:10 am
You know, when Jesus was here, he was all positive messages. Love thy neighbor, go and do good and such. Does anyone else notice how much this whole message has been warped into an entire religion of negativity and sometimes outright cruelty? It's all about pointing out sin and guilting people into behaving, threatening them with fire and brimstone. We need to go back to 'you know you've done wrong, go and sin no more.'  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:51 pm
ryuu_chan
You know, when Jesus was here, he was all positive messages. Love thy neighbor, go and do good and such. Does anyone else notice how much this whole message has been warped into an entire religion of negativity and sometimes outright cruelty? It's all about pointing out sin and guilting people into behaving, threatening them with fire and brimstone. We need to go back to 'you know you've done wrong, go and sin no more.'

Mm. It's necessary to point out sin in the church and a right time to do so. There's a moderate level somewhere between casting your pearls before swine and correcting, rebuking, encouraging.

Also, it's not good to misrepresent Jesus like that. He wasn't just some peace-and-love hippy. wink

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:54 pm
Amen~  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 am
You shouldn't look down on them as lesser than you no matter who they are or what they have done. You and your mom don't know those peoples' situation and their relationship with God. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't tell people something is NOT a sin when it clearly is. The truth is the truth even if it is "offensive" and they need to be told that or how will they grow? The proper thing to do in a situation like this is to be a friend. Offer them gentle guidance, be an example for them and most importantly pray for them.  

mangachan

mangachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 am
Priestley
ryuu_chan

Mm. It's necessary to point out sin in the church and a right time to do so. There's a moderate level somewhere between casting your pearls before swine and correcting, rebuking, encouraging.

Also, it's not good to misrepresent Jesus like that. He wasn't just some peace-and-love hippy. wink

Godo reply Priestley. I don't mean to insult you ryuu chan but your post is alittle contridictory. "It's all about pointing out sin and guilting people into behaving" and then after that you say we need to go back, etc,. But the problem is not just with Christians sometimes. If you tell people what they do wrong, even if it's not in a condeming way and they get offended. I've had this happen to me before and it's very frustrating. I think people just don't like to be told they are wrong when they clearly are (even when they ask for my input).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am
I know. My post was just to stimulate a little more discussion. It seems to have worked. mrgreen  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:10 pm
ryuu_chan
I know. My post was just to stimulate a little more discussion. It seems to have worked. mrgreen

Devil's advocate. gonk

I think there's a balance between telling someone that they're sinning and forgiving that person. I know that, as Christians, we're commanded by Jesus to forgive but I actually believe forgiveness has a use beyond copying and obeying Jesus for our own sake: to teach those who have sinned to stop sinning. People have to realise their sin to realise the gift of forgiveness that they have received and, in that realisation, stop sinning. I think giving forgiveness freely is too much like letting sin go unmentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:46 pm
I made a similar reply in your forgiveness thread. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff