Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Homosexuality is a sin. and Tattoos. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:59 pm
Quote:
Quote:
He may be quite knowledgeable and skilled, but that is not an issue. He translated a Hebrew word, then discussed the definition of the English form as though it was directly applicable. It is incorrect and absurd.
Fine, nothing more I can do here.

Are you agreeing, disagreeing, or what?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, you have your interpretation but I say its an extreme exegetical crime. You still have not answered my question to you about defining sin.

You never asked a question about the definition of sin, so naturally I did not answer a such a question.

Yes, I did. Its on page 1 of this topic.

Your exact words were, "Define sin buddy..." That is in no way a question.

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about with, "we should avoid the sniping and threats" as I did not do either. I pointed out you made an assumption and repeated a common warning for such.

"I hear they do bad things to you and me" is a threat.

No it is not. The common expression is, "Don't assume. It makes an *** out of u and me."  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:04 pm
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He may be quite knowledgeable and skilled, but that is not an issue. He translated a Hebrew word, then discussed the definition of the English form as though it was directly applicable. It is incorrect and absurd.

Agreeing to disagree, perhaps? wink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, you have your interpretation but I say its an extreme exegetical crime. You still have not answered my question to you about defining sin.

You never asked a question about the definition of sin, so naturally I did not answer a such a question.

I would also like to know what one of these 'sin buddies' is. biggrin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about with, "we should avoid the sniping and threats" as I did not do either. I pointed out you made an assumption and repeated a common warning for such.

No it is not. The common expression is, "Don't assume. It makes an *** out of u and me."

I hate that expression. The only 'a**' around here is the one who can't spell. xd  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:28 pm
That is a rather odd way to "agree to disagree," if that was what he meant by it, seeing as he did not even attempt to disagree with what I said.

As for me not caring to use certain types of language, I am afraid that is one thing you will just have to live with.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:22 am
Quote:
That is a rather odd way to "agree to disagree," if that was what he meant by it, seeing as he did not even attempt to disagree with what I said.

As for me not caring to use certain types of language, I am afraid that is one thing you will just have to live with.

*chuckles*  

Knatalie9

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:20 pm
Quote:

I think he just means that neither of you are going to change one another's mind, so any further discussion is kind of pointless.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:50 pm
What about disagreeing to agree?  

xxPromarkxx

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:37 pm
Quote:
I think he just means that neither of you are going to change one another's mind, so any further discussion is kind of pointless.

It is nonsense if so. I pointed out a problem, he did not disagree with the problem, but rather brought up an issue which was irrelevant. I pointed out it was irrelevant, and restated what the problem was.

Saying we should agree to disagree implies we actually have disagreed.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 am
Quote:

Then you can probably consider that you have won, for what it's worth.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 pm
Quote:
Quote:

Woohoo?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 am
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Woohoo?

If you like. A fistpump would also have been an acceptable celebration. biggrin

To get back on topic, the issue here seems to be about the classifications/degrees of 'sin', that is, the seriousness of behavioural trespass or transgression. How and why must such clarification be made? (The question is addressed to all, not just zz1000zz.)

Priestley

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:44 pm
If you look at it through God's eyes, you shouldn't. All sin is sin and all of it leads to death. No sin is any greater or any less than another. Being angry is every bit as bad as murder. Any other distinction is a human convention.

Though, in all practacality, we can't lock up everyone in the world and if we didn't draw the distinction we would have to. Or leave loose people that would really make this world a more dangerous and frightening place to live.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:50 pm
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya... I officially declare that I disagree with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forgive my lack of proper grammar. So then, what is the proper definition of sin?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*sigh* Ya... ok. We'll move on then.

Quote:
It is nonsense if so. I pointed out a problem, he did not disagree with the problem, but rather brought up an issue which was irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Let me rehash. You posted that, '"abomination' does not mean it is a sin." Then I posted a defense from Walter Kaiser stating that abomination is degrading and offensive to the moral sense. Another words, abomination (tow'ebah) is a sin.  

Metanoeo

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 am
Quote:
Quote:
It is nonsense if so. I pointed out a problem, he did not disagree with the problem, but rather brought up an issue which was irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Let me rehash. You posted that, '"abomination' does not mean it is a sin." Then I posted a defense from Walter Kaiser stating that abomination is degrading and offensive to the moral sense. Another words, abomination (tow'ebah) is a sin.

And zz1000zz challenged that defence:
Quote:
He translated a Hebrew word, then discussed the definition of the English form as though it was directly applicable. It is incorrect and absurd.

I think the correct approach would have been to discuss the Hebrew word in its own context rather than the English form.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:55 pm
That's silly. Christians don't have to follow Levitican law. Besides, those sound like they've come from the King James, which is pretty much the worst translation ever.  

Galad Aglaron

Metanoeo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And zz1000zz challenged that defence:
Quote:
He translated a Hebrew word, then discussed the definition of the English form as though it was directly applicable. It is incorrect and absurd.

I think the correct approach would have been to discuss the Hebrew word in its own context rather than the English form.

Have I not done that already? I explained the context of the Chapter. But then you intervene by arguing that its only offensive to the moral sense of the community. Which is absurd because it focuses on a moral establishment within a community. Therefore the Gentiles are not subjected to the Law of God because its only for the Jewish community according to your own reasoning.

I do have a question for you. Why do you think God established the Mosaic Law only for Israel and no other nation?  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff