Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
"All Gods are One God" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:36 am
LadyBanhammer
I don't even believe in deities ^^

So I'm really unappealing to the mainstream.
Not only do you not have deities, though, you have other Things, which makes you even worse than your average atheist. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:45 am
maenad nuri
Deoridhe
"All gods are one god" is an appealing statement for pagans in a monotheistic society because it allows pagans to enfold within the larger culture.

Don't give in.

Resistance is Futile! You will be assimilated!

You just made a Borg reference. I love you right now blaugh  

patch99329

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:44 pm
TheDisreputableDog
LadyBanhammer
I don't even believe in deities ^^

So I'm really unappealing to the mainstream.
Not only do you not have deities, though, you have other Things, which makes you even worse than your average atheist. wink

I'm not very well loved by our Christian mainstream. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:15 am
Heilsan Allir,

The statement "all gods are the one god" is a gross simplification of an idea which is relevant, and even understandable, but seems to become such an over-simplification, that it loses all meaning, and hence, those whom consider their gods and goddesses to be individuated entities get annoyed at least, or down right angry at the other end of the scale.

It's a bit interesting to attempt to inform me that say Loki and Heimdallr, whom in the Germanic Folkway will meet at Ragnarok and kill each other, are in fact just 'aspects' of the one god. It seems for all the world to me like a cop out that allows people to dabble in alternative spirituality, whilst still being buddy buddy with Monotheists, typically Christians.

Recognising that there is an underlying commonality to all things, e.g. matter and energy within the universe for example, only provides an underlying principle to that extent. To state that say Gold and Silver, which are pure elements on the Periodic Table, are the same, is simply ridiculous. Sure, we can say that they are both forms of matter, but that's a different statement entirely. How about the statement that all Elements are One Element. Yep, all the Elements are made up of a Nucleus of Protons and Neutrons, and a shell of Electrons, and therefore are Atoms, but to tell me that they are all the same...

This is the prime reason that anyone whom trots out the 'all gods are one god' statement is deemed to be a beginner, regardless of how many years they have been eclectic or what-ever. To my mind it shows an inability to apply oneself to the study of a particular cultural tradition and for the most part implies poor understanding on the part of that individual.

That said, there are people out there whom are very well read and studied, and have delved into many different traditions, having spent much time and effort to get their understanding right, and engaging within cultural context, even if they do work with many. Their capacity for reasoned and rational thought and discussion on these areas is not only commendable, but also refreshing from the usual responses one gets from those whom are challenged upon their statements. These are the people I not only have time for, but enjoy debating with, because they are capable of forming cogent arguments and one can often come out the other side of a discussion knowing far more than when one went into it.

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:47 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Recognising that there is an underlying commonality to all things, e.g. matter and energy within the universe for example, only provides an underlying principle to that extent.
This would be where Soft Polytheism turns into Monistic Hard Polytheism.

Quote:

This is the prime reason that anyone whom trots out the 'all gods are one god' statement is deemed to be a beginner, regardless of how many years they have been eclectic or what-ever.
Not always. I don't automatically assume someone is a "beginner" if they're soft polytheistic- if they claim to be part of a religion that is hard polytheistic, that's a different story.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:37 am
patch99329
maenad nuri
Deoridhe
"All gods are one god" is an appealing statement for pagans in a monotheistic society because it allows pagans to enfold within the larger culture.

Don't give in.

Resistance is Futile! You will be assimilated!

You just made a Borg reference. I love you right now blaugh

Could be worse. Could be Borg on LSD...

"We are... the Borg? Yes, the Borg! Resistance is floor tile! Your a** will be simulated!" mrgreen  

godhi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:27 am
godhi

Could be worse. Could be Borg on LSD...

"We are... the Borg? Yes, the Borg! Resistance is floor tile! Your a** will be simulated!" mrgreen
My dyslexia pwned me. I read that as "Borg on LDS" and I was thinking... "Yeah, I can see Mormons as the Borg..."  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:53 pm
If I were to say that there is one divine essence which is incomprehensible but to which different cultures have reached with human understanding towards a limited knowledge of that divine essence reflecting a shadow of the fullness of that essence but not the fullness of it. Thus each understanding of the divinity would bring understanding and have merit without being the whole way and contradictions subsumed in the greater than human comprehension/more than human logic nature of the divinity.

I have heard a similar argument to that above before, what would that position be called? And I'm sorry if that wasn't all that clear, I don't have the right terms at my fingertips for what I was trying to express.  

Sybil Unrest

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 pm
TeaDidikai
and I was thinking... "Yeah, I can see Mormons as the Borg..."

I'm sure they'd make very efficient drones...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am
Sybil Unrest
If I were to say that there is one divine essence which is incomprehensible but to which different cultures have reached with human understanding towards a limited knowledge of that divine essence reflecting a shadow of the fullness of that essence but not the fullness of it. Thus each understanding of the divinity would bring understanding and have merit without being the whole way and contradictions subsumed in the greater than human comprehension/more than human logic nature of the divinity.
Which would work to explain soft polytheism across cultures- but what about the internal and dramatic conflicts within cultures?
Quote:

I have heard a similar argument to that above before, what would that position be called?
Soft polytheism.

The way that it plays out when you examine deities within their mytholoy is closer to Monistic Hard Polytheism (which is what Deo and I are- though I suspect that there are buttloads more than the two of us, we're just the ones I know of for sure).

Monistic Hard Polytheism says that all deity emanated from a single source, but became individualistic in a similar way that while all of humanity is human, we're still individuals- even if we are all made up of the same base elements.

People often will take that even further and develop opinions on Monism in general.

patch99329

I'm sure they'd make very efficient drones...
whee  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 pm
I flirt with that Tea. Somedays you'll catch me in a monistic hp mood, and other days not so much.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm
maenad nuri
I flirt with that Tea. Somedays you'll catch me in a monistic hp mood, and other days not so much.
Pish. MHP doesn't flirt. You're either in a relationship or you're SP's eye candy.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:21 pm
Yoyoyo. I'm also a monistic HP, to an extent anyway.

Somewhere between that and 'inclusive polytheism', I am unsure of it's exact name.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:59 pm
Didn't you say that Etherism struck you as monistic soft polytheism, Tea? Or similar at least? I can't remember now.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:28 pm
Patch>> Care to describe the term in more detail?

Recursive Paradox
Didn't you say that Etherism struck you as monistic soft polytheism, Tea? Or similar at least? I can't remember now.
Can't remember. I'll take a look later.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces