Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Elixias's Royal Library Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitors
  +1
View Results

Elixias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:56 am
Nov 18.
User Image

Did just a few sketches of a few things. But at the end I still feel like I've learned nothing! I believe when it comes to art, it's not just about drawing what you see...

Maybe from now on I need to observe my subject for a few moments before beginning. Maybe it might not help much but that might make me pay more attention.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm
Elixias
The brushes are free for personal use haha, and so far I haven't shown off the art anywhere but in this thread. :nod: It's more of a fun stuff (and yeah it's fun!)

As for freehand, I did try it out, nothing has changed so far so I'm kind of disappointed. Still make the same mistakes despite the few studies I have made.

Even if it's free for use, you still should credit; it's artistic courtesy. Personally, I hate crediting, so I make my own stuff.

Mhm, that's kind of problematic. Theoretically it should make a difference even if you only did a few studies. Maybe you're not abstracting enough? Do you visualize things in your head when you draw?

Try this: look at the pose for 30 seconds, hide it, and try to reproduce it without looking at it. It might be that you're not registering the internal structure of what you're drawing; hand eye coordination is a thing, but freehand calls upon abstraction.  

Mogtoats

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 am
I was about to say the same thing. I would say if your reference is on the screen, work on paper and if your reference can be printed, print it and work digitally. Don't do a side by side. Also, draw just the structure. (simple skeleton with line of action) If you try to worry about learning to capture gesture and anatomy at the same time you won't learn either one clearly. Since anatomy is so much more complex, understand gesture first. Anyway, right now, it looks like the side by sides are training you to copy, rather than interpret.

When you're comfortable with structure and proportion, then look at the pose and hide it. Draw what you saw. That will be the true measure of your visual memory and ability to interpret.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff