But what if you can't believe? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 pm
DustNymph
So, you're having trouble believing in Christianity. Why not try something else?

Have you ever considered a form of polytheism? Whether hard polytheist or soft polytheist, 10 out of 10 Hellenic(Greek) Recons agree it's a great way to go! Or perhaps you like your gods a little less tangible and imminent. There's always various forms of deism! Now, personally, I prefer some nice, nature-based transcendentalism, but that's just me.

What my advice boils down to is this: poke around a little, do some research, and find out what clicks with you. Maybe after trying out a few other things, it'll hit you that Christianity was where you wanted to be all along. Or maybe not. Maybe you'll never be one-hundred-percent sure what you believe, but at least you'll be more knowledgeable, right?

Nice sales brochure. Reeks of paganism to me. wink

Seriously, though, make sure to test everything that you read and learn for truthfulness. It is all too easy to lie to oneself and then believe that lie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 am
If one is having trouble believing, perhaps that is because there is a good reason not to believe. A reason that faith can no longer blind a person to.  

Galad Aglaron

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:12 pm
Galad Damodred
If one is having trouble believing, perhaps that is because there is a good reason not to believe. A reason that faith can no longer blind a person to.

You regard faith as blindness?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:36 pm
Faith is subjective, and any subjectivity is a blind spot. Faith being a rather large one, since to have faith in God is to believe in Him and His sovereignty even in the face of evidence to the contrary.  

Galad Aglaron

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:46 pm
Galad Damodred
Faith is subjective, and any subjectivity is a blind spot. Faith being a rather large one, since to have faith in God is to believe in Him and His sovereignty even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

How is subjectivity a blind spot? I'm pretty sure that most things in life are subjective. There isn't any way to see the world for what it really is, since we are all individual and all unique. Does that mean we are all blind?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:21 pm
Galad Damodred

Well, there is no such thing as true objectivity, logically speaking.  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:57 pm
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Math is objective. It's the purest field of study in the universe. And all things ultimately link back to it, now that I think on it...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:48 pm
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Math is objective. It's the purest field of study in the universe. And all things ultimately link back to it, now that I think on it...

Mathematics is method used by us to observe, measure and understand the universe around us. The universe is not made up of numbers; numbers are applied to the universe.  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:10 pm
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Mathematics is method used by us to observe, measure and understand the universe around us. The universe is not made up of numbers; numbers are applied to the universe.

Fine, but that doesn't mean that faith isn't blinding.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:22 pm
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

You are discussing something different than Galad Damodred brought up. He said math, but you only discussed the application of math. They are two totally different things.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:19 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

Fine,

So you agree that your use of mathematics as an example of objectivity is flawed.
Galad Damodred
but that doesn't mean that faith isn't blinding.

But that's not what you argued.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:26 am
zz1000zz
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

You are discussing something different than Galad Damodred brought up. He said math, but you only discussed the application of math. They are two totally different things.

No, I was talking about maths. While it is pure in terms of logic, it is in fact an abstract concept built around subjective understanding of our environment. Numbers do not exist in reality.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 am
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred

No, I was talking about maths. While it is pure in terms of logic, it is in fact an abstract concept built around subjective understanding of our environment. Numbers do not exist in reality.

How can you agree mathematics is objective in terms of logic, then say it is subjective because of its applications, all the while saying you are not conflating the two?

Mathematics is largely the same as logic. It can be used subjectively by applying it to non-objective things, but that does not make it subjective.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:28 am
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Galad Damodred
Priestley

Fine,

So you agree that your use of mathematics as an example of objectivity is flawed.
Galad Damodred
but that doesn't mean that faith isn't blinding.

But that's not what you argued.

I was just trying to present mathematics as an example of objectivity. rolleyes  

Galad Aglaron

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:01 pm
zz1000zz
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
Galad Damodred

How can you agree mathematics is objective in terms of logic, then say it is subjective because of its applications, all the while saying you are not conflating the two?

Mathematics is largely the same as logic. It can be used subjectively by applying it to non-objective things, but that does not make it subjective.

Because it is first subjectively abstracted from reality and therefore can only be applied subjectively. Logic and mathematics 'exist' only as this abstraction. They do not exist in reality so to use it as an example of objectiveness in reality isn't correct.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff