78%  [ 18 ]
Maybe
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

DieiNoctis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:03 pm
GilAskan
It should also be noted that death (by age) is a genetic trait known as senescence. It's coded into our DNA, but there are some creatures on Earth that have no such trait. They'll live forever, assuming nothing kills them first.

With genetic therapies, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could breed "death" out of our genes within a few hundred years. Not that we would, for reasons of population control.
Quote:

You're correct. And we probably will use their genetic code as a springboard to our own immortality.

But why breed out death when we can simply design it out? Using husbandry instead of biotech is like using a shovel instead of a backhoe.
We're quite close to being able to engineering the genetic code of the living. To steal from Ray Kurzweil, 'why have designer babies when you can have designer baby boomers?'

Quote:
Many people find something romantic and tragic about the concept of a lone immortal, or a group of immortals. But it's agreed upon by almost everyone I've encountered that pandemic immortality would be a plague upon the world.

Why wouldn't mass immortality be a good thing?
Don't think about immortality imposed on our current society, think about what kind of society would be able to produce immortality. It would definitely be better than first-world. The growth rate of first-world nations is already negative, the growth rate of an immortal society would have to be positive, but it would be so minuscully positive as to not matter. That, coupled with the ability to produce almost anything out of almost anything else (molecular deconstruction/construction).
Any society capable of immortality will be one capable of producing all that the society needed. We're already close to that point.
As soon as strong A.I. is developed, there will be very few problems we need to solve on our own. As soon as we can integrate strong A.I. computers into our own brains, we will essentially only be limited by the physical laws of the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:01 pm
I want to go to my own funeral. Somehow. Or I'll fake my death and sneak in, so I can see what people say about me. I also want to see what emotional reactions people are having, because if they aren't partying and getting hoplessly stoned while moshing to a heavy metal band then I'm going to be very disapointed in everyone I know. evil

Their grief will prevent my soul from going to the next world.

Haha no, I don't actually beleive that. I beleive nothing happens when you die, you just rot in the ground. I kinda hope I get re-incarnated as a Jedi or something though....that would be awesome!

I don't want to rot in the ground. I'd rather have something eat my body right away. That way my body won't emit gases that are bad for the enviorment and I can actually do some good. I hope that vultures will eat me oneday after I die out in the middle of the desert.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

moonclown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 am
moonclown

Blackrose Kaire
Ayame_Rikimayu
i am not afraid to die, i'm just worried about how. and WHEN.
Same here. >_<
same here also, but im more worried what will i do in the afterlife, i hope theres still noodles there...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm
Geeeeeezz that's tough. neutral
I heard somewhere (besides Harry Potter) that it feels like going to sleep. I hear that a lot of places actually from a lot of different people (some who've not read Harry Potter). I want to believe that until further notice.
Death is kind of scary but it doesn't have to be downright terrifying. Maybe it could push you into the live-life-to-your-fullest thing. surprised

AdrianaKitten

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 pm
XWraith_LordX

I don't want to rot in the ground. I'd rather have something eat my body right away. That way my body won't emit gases that are bad for the enviorment and I can actually do some good. I hope that vultures will eat me oneday after I die out in the middle of the desert.

That reminds me of the "air burial" scene from a Sandman comic. biggrin

Personally, I've been having some conflicting thoughts on the subject, the worst being that there might be no spiritual consciousness after death, like blanking out of existence.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:55 pm
Death is life.Dont think on it.Just let it flow into your life.Its perfictly natural.Death is not somethign to be afriaid of.  

The_First_God_Zero

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
XWraith_LordX

That reminds me of the "air burial" scene from a Sandman comic. biggrin

Personally, I've been having some conflicting thoughts on the subject, the worst being that there might be no spiritual consciousness after death, like blanking out of existence.
xd Sandman.

I really don't know about what happens after we die. I have an idea about it though: I've been unconsious before, twice. I remember the seconds before it and nothing during that time, I knew it was coming though. I tried to stop it from coming but I couldn't, that ended in a very large bruise on my head and the other time me collapsing in a hallway, thankfully in a hospital. sweatdrop I imagine death would be something like that, you know it's coming and you can't do anything about it, you're consious and then bam. It's gone. You never notice anything. If I hadn't woken up I would have never known I was unconsious or even existed, it's a blank space in my mind. Nothing happened. The only reason I know it happened was because I woke up.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:50 pm
i beat death before and death will never be able to beet me  

Crusading Demon

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:17 pm
Crusadeing Demon
You've got it coming to you...just you wait.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:53 am
XWraith_LordX
Crusadeing Demon

i will never truly die  

Crusading Demon

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 pm
Crusadeing Demon
XWraith_LordX
Crusadeing Demon

i will never truly die
That should be a challenge.

Unless you do something noteworthy, eventually no one will remember you. No body. No one at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 pm
To me death is just another cycle that all physical beings go through, afterwards who knows. It would be interesting though to know what happens after we're gone.  

L Kook

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces