Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The "Simon's Drunk Again" thread. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:27 am
Timeless_Visage
Angilwingz
Timeless_Visage
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

Are you quite serious? eek

psst, I don't either. Shocker, aint it? ;p
Your loss. More for me. ninja

Not really my loss. You see, alcholism runs in my family, and I'm afraid if I took the chance to even so much as try it, I'll fall into the same addiction as them. This disease is gentetic you see, it's been proven.

Pfft, poppycock. How can alcoholism and stuff be genetic?

It's not genetic, it's more of a 'tradition' in my family.

Ditto dementia, madness, violence, creativity, balding and attempted murder.

ninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:05 am
Timeless_Visage

Oh, Simon was quite drunk at the time, that wasn't just an act. Though he types surprisingly well when he's drunk. o.O Too much practice, I suppose.

And, I do hope you're kidding. I didn't think I acted drunk. >.>

Oh, and HI! Pleasure meeting you, by the way. You can call me Sean. razz

Heyhey. :] Nice meeting you too, you can call me Rowan, but you don't have to. Most people just stick to Gaul, and, oh dear, I'm going too far into this aren't I?

Eeeeek. Have to dash. Again.

Gaulia

A Lost Iguana rolled 20 6-sided dice: 2, 6, 5, 6, 4, 5, 5, 1, 4, 3, 2, 3, 6, 4, 4, 4, 1, 5, 4, 4 Total: 78 (20-120)

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:20 am
My brother is a teetotaler.

Anyway, I suppose there may be some genetic factors for alcoholism; I would expect there to be some genetic link in cases.

Edit: 78! Miles off.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:35 am
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

Quite. The taste becomes somewhat irksome after a while.  

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:07 pm
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

The tastes are almost as varied as foods are, you just haven't tried enough.. I'm sure.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:47 pm
I don't drink pop. And I don't like red whine. I've tried a few different whines///I don't like the red...my dad doesn't like it either.  

Angilwingz

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:03 am
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

The tastes are almost as varied as foods are, you just haven't tried enough.. I'm sure.

They all seem to melt into the same oily turpentine sting eventually.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:44 am
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

They all seem to melt into the same oily turpentine sting eventually.

gonk

Pernod! Drink Pernod!  

Invictus_88
Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:58 am
Invictus_88
Timeless_Visage
Angilwingz
Timeless_Visage
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
I don't drink...

psst, I don't either. Shocker, aint it? ;p
Your loss. More for me. ninja

Not really my loss. You see, alcholism runs in my family, and I'm afraid if I took the chance to even so much as try it, I'll fall into the same addiction as them. This disease is gentetic you see, it's been proven.

Pfft, poppycock. How can alcoholism and stuff be genetic?

It's not genetic, it's more of a 'tradition' in my family.

Ditto dementia, madness, violence, creativity, balding and attempted murder.

ninja

Well, before I go I thought I'd just share this with you. I should be gone within the hour though, so sorry I couldn't speak to you on this fruther.

You, see alchoholism is an adiction, both physical and mental.

In 1983, the popular theory of alcohol addiction expressed by D.L. Ohlms in his book "The Disease Concept of Alcoholism" that proposed that alcoholics produced a highly addictive substance called THIQ during the metabolism of alcohol.

There is a chemical called THIQ.. THIQ is normally produced when the body metabolizes heroin and is supposedly not metabolized by non-alcoholics when they drink. According to the popular researcher Ohlms, animal studies have shown that a small amount of THIQ injected into the brains of rats will produce alcoholic rats and that THIQ remains in the brain long after an animal has been injected. Therefore, the theory is that alcoholics are genetically predisposed to produce THIQ in response to alcohol, that the THIQ creates a craving for alcohol, and that the THIQ remains in the brain of the alcoholic long after the use of alcohol is discontinued.

This would provide a physiological explanation for the fact that recovering alcoholics who relapse quickly return to their previous use patterns. More recent research on genetic causes of alcoholism has focused on some abnormality in a dopamine receptor gene and deficiencies in the neurotransmitter serotonin or in serotonin receptors.

But, even with these facts, there are some people who still deny that alchoholism is a real disease. I suppose there is still room for debate, but I prefer to think that it's real. I mean, look at the research.

But, even without this chemical, people become addicted to it mentally. They believe they need it to get through the day, and that it's going to make everything better, when in fact it isn't.

Anyway, that'll offically be my last post for a while. Until I get things resolved in real life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:55 am
I think Invictus was joking; I don't think he meant to imply that alcoholism wasn't, in fact, a real disease. Your post was a really interesting read, though. I was particularly interested in this:

Quote:
[...] deficiencies in the neurotransmitter serotonin or in serotonin receptors.

This has implications for the link between alcoholism and depression: it's known that alcoholism and depression often come together, but it's usually difficult to distinguish which started first. Clinical depression is also caused by deficiencies in seratonin (hence S.elective S.eratonin R.euptake I.nhibitors: the group of antidepressants of which Prozac is a member). If seratonin deficiencies are discovered to be a major factor in alcoholism, then a genetic link could be drawn between those susceptable to certain types of alcoholism and those susceptable to certain types of depression -- implying that the two are not just psychologically linked but physiologically linked as well.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:01 am
I like More Serotonin Please. Harmonizer is not as good as 7 or Welcome to Earth; but it is decent enough. I prefer VNV anyway. >_>  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:03 pm
I'm drunk and I'm online n_n.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:22 am
Foetus In Fetu
I think Invictus was joking; I don't think he meant to imply that alcoholism wasn't, in fact, a real disease. Your post was a really interesting read, though. I was particularly interested in this:

Quote:
[...] deficiencies in the neurotransmitter serotonin or in serotonin receptors.

This has implications for the link between alcoholism and depression: it's known that alcoholism and depression often come together, but it's usually difficult to distinguish which started first. Clinical depression is also caused by deficiencies in seratonin (hence S.elective S.eratonin R.euptake I.nhibitors: the group of antidepressants of which Prozac is a member). If seratonin deficiencies are discovered to be a major factor in alcoholism, then a genetic link could be drawn between those susceptable to certain types of alcoholism and those susceptable to certain types of depression -- implying that the two are not just psychologically linked but physiologically linked as well.

So, judging from this would it be possible to create some medication that fights against both alchoholism and depression at the same time?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:09 am
Foetus In Fetu

If it creeping online after a night out drinking then I can really be guilty of that. >_>

Edit: is If it is...  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:31 am
Timeless_Visage
Foetus In Fetu
Snip!

So, judging from this would it be possible to create some medication that fights against both alchoholism and depression at the same time?

I wouldn't like to say, really, but I'd be interested in any research investigating links between the two, particularly if a definite cause-effect link is drawn between seratonin deficiency and alcoholism.

A Lost Iguana
Foetus In Fetu

If it creeping online after a night out drinking then I can really be guilty of that. >_>

That sentence doesn't even make sense...  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff