Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Please help me clarify my spiritual beliefs, thank you! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 am
First of all, for someone who claims to not be Jewish, you spend an awful lot of time objecting to Judaism and Christianity in such a broad way that you actually are objecting to aspects of all religions, including Wicca and most eclectic neo-pagan systems. This seems very odd.

patience1984
I told myself that nobody who died had ever come back so there was no proof that any of us could be aware of an afterlife and that it was just so people would not be depressed that when you die it is all over.

Then you will make a very poor pagan, as their are dying and reborn gods in most pantheons, so rejecting their existence with rip holes in any pantheon you attempt to approach, and most of them have afterlives which are integral to the cosmology.

Have you considered not being religious, given how hostile you are to mythology?

patience1984
I learned about Thoreau in school and transcendentalism seemed to be the perfect answer. I could believe in the oversoul, thus worshiping nature yet not feel as if I am not practicing int he religion by not having rituals and holidays.

I find it curious that you reject an afterlife but accept a single soul (something brought into Western society by the Judaism and Christianity you reject).

Honestly, it looks like you're seeking existential philosophy more than religio, though. Again, have you considered not being religious?

patience1984
Scientifically an element will be effected by a change you make and soemhow with our free will whenever we do anything (speak, act consciously, act unconsciously, etc.) it creates a change to everything else and all of nature has to react

How are you defining "free will"? 8/

patience1984
I have some faith in this aspect of nature because it seems to occur.

Actually, if you believe something happens because you've observed it and it's scientifically based, that's not faith.

patience1984
I was hoping that anyone who had some insights could tell me if what I currently believe is part of an established specific religion.

You have the soul concept of Judaism and Christianity and you're romanticizing nature, which is also Christian thing in a lot of cases (think Rousseau and many modern New Age movements). Seems like you're closest to a secular Christian with pantheistic leanings and a poor comprehension of philosophy and science. I'd recommend not being religious.

patience1984
I know that when I learned that some Native American tribes believed in complete non violence I was very drawn to that...I think it may be part of Buddhism as well and probably other religions too?

Which Native American tribes? Also, you may want to look into the racism inherent in how western society has used modifications of the beliefs of the tribes it destroyed as a second layer of racism against those tribes. It's a large, long-lasting, and decidedly ugly aspect of Western Culture.

Buddhism has a strong non-violence leaning, since it's focus is non-attachment, but there is a strong cultural streak of self-violence (see self-immolation as a form of protest) which I would hold violates a true concept of non-violence.

patience1984
I don’t like others telling me what days are more imp then others and how to celebrate it.

Then I would recommend you not joining any religion or social group.

patience1984
I don’t think they are fallacious

Read. Learn. Apply.

patience1984
I am fully aware that deities are non-falsifiable…which is why I have made it clear I can not be sure they don’t exist. But I can still make a hypothesis with as much of a case as I can.

Actually, you can't. A basic quality all hypotheses need is to be falsifiable. That's science.

You ask what religion you're closest to; you seem to be closest to an atheist hostile to religion and gods in general seeking existential spirituality which may or may not steal from deliberately damaged and/or mistakenly appropriated cultures.

The way you make quotes that actually function is by nesting them. For example:

[quote=Speaker 1]
[quote=Speaker 2]Speaker 2's words[/quote]
Speaker 1's words[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm
I’ll attempt the advice of the proper way to use the quotes but I don’t really understand so hopefully it will work. Computers are not my forte.

Deoridhe
First of all, for someone who claims to not be Jewish, you spend an awful lot of time objecting to Judaism and Christianity in such a broad way that you actually are objecting to aspects of all religions, including Wicca and most eclectic neo-pagan systems. This seems very odd.

I would never have brought up Judaism and Christianity beyond the first post if I had not been asked about it over and over again. The only reason I mentioned it was to say the conflicts I went through in my own mind that led me closer to discovering my own path, which I feel closer to then before but not close enough which is why I want help. When someone asks a question, I answer it. So to me I don’t consider it my will to bring it up a lot. By using the word “claim” you seem to have some doubt in my assertion. That is your right. I don’t think that “object” is the best word to use for what I have been saying. I don’t disprove of those who follow those beliefs. It is just not the path for me. I was just being kept why. I explained why I felt so but I have just as much respect for those people who do believe what I personally don’t. Maybe my personal beliefs do only fall into the few eclectic neo-pagan systems you mentioned…if anything I think that helps me pinpoint where my beliefs may fit in. If I hate the rain and someone else loves the rain for example…neither one of us is wrong and I respect the other’s view even though I disagree with it personally. I even was open enough to say that those god/s my even exist and I could be wrong, that I wasn’t entirely certain. I’m not sure what is so odd about it. What if I had felt that a specific god didn’t exist…would that have changed how odd I seem to you? Either way I don’t view “odd” as anything positive or negative.

patience1984
I told myself that nobody who died had ever come back so there was no proof that any of us could be aware of an afterlife and that it was just so people would not be depressed that when you die it is all over.

Deoridhe
Then you will make a very poor pagan, as their are dying and reborn gods in most pantheons, so rejecting their existence with rip holes in any pantheon you attempt to approach, and most of them have afterlives which are integral to the cosmology.

Have you considered not being religious, given how hostile you are to mythology?

How does it make me a poor pagan? You said that the “dying and reborn gods” are in “most pantheons” not all. Those people who are in the select few are bad pagans in your opinion? I have considered not being religious and I still consider it but I also have spiritual instincts and unclear religious views which is why I came here. Again I feel you have used the wrong word to describe my feelings. I am not “hostile” to mythology. I find a lot of it beautiful, just probably inaccurate in my opinion.

patience1984
I learned about Thoreau in school and transcendentalism seemed to be the perfect answer. I could believe in the oversoul, thus worshiping nature yet not feel as if I am not practicing in the religion by not having rituals and holidays.

Deoridhe
I find it curious that you reject an afterlife but accept a single soul (something brought into Western society by the Judaism and Christianity you reject).

Honestly, it looks like you're seeking existential philosophy more than religio, though. Again, have you considered not being religious?

I never said I accept the western idea of a single soul. That is not what the oversoul is, quite the opposite. Philosophy is very important to me and it connects to religion a lot in my case. I already answered the last question just before, but I’ll answer any other questions anyone may have based on that answer.

patience1984
Scientifically an element will be effected by a change you make and soemhow with our free will whenever we do anything (speak, act consciously, act unconsciously, etc.) it creates a change to everything else and all of nature has to react

Deoridhe

This is the definition that I mean: “The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.”
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

patience1984
I have some faith in this aspect of nature because it seems to occur.

Deoridhe
Actually, if you believe something happens because you've observed it and it's scientifically based, that's not faith.

Well maybe I was unclear. That sentence was part of the larger statement I was making in the accompanying sentences. What I was trying to say was that I can’t prove that nature/science was the cause of the start of existence (if there even was a start) but I have faith in it because in my eyes it has proven itself to me in other ways. It has a good track record. If someone typed up a résumé of the jewish god and a résumé of nature, I would hire nature because I can see it’s accomplishments. I hope that is more clear and you see now why I used and mean the word faith.

patience1984
I was hoping that anyone who had some insights could tell me if what I currently believe is part of an established specific religion.

Deoridhe
You have the soul concept of Judaism and Christianity…

No I don’t…you thought/think that oversoul and soul are synonymous when they are far from that.

Deoridhe
…and you're romanticizing nature, which is also Christian thing in a lot of cases (think Rousseau and many modern New Age movements).

It is much more then romanticizing…it may even be worshiping. Which seems more pagan then Christian considering pagans were appreciative of nature far before Christians even existed.

Deoridhe
Seems like you're closest to a secular Christian with pantheistic leanings and a poor comprehension of philosophy and science. I'd recommend not being religious.

It seems like I have been misjudged once again so I’m not sure about the “Christian with pantheistic leanings” part. I’m not sure if Jesus ever even lived and if he did I am almost positive that he is not the son of god or that the new testament is true. I can’t imagine why that would make me Christian at all just because a few ideals may be shared about nature that are also prevalent in many other religions. How do you feel I have a “poor comprehension of philosophy and science” ? I comprehend both pretty well even if I don’t possess all the knowledge I seek form either yet. I’m particular confused about your opinion on my comprehension of philosophy seeing as that is one of my fortes. Some of the best philosophers, of not most, are those who think for themselves. Are you going to say that Spinoza also had a “poor comprehension of philosophy and religion”? I’m curious to understand what your assessment is based on.

patience1984
I know that when I learned that some Native American tribes believed in complete non violence I was very drawn to that...I think it may be part of Buddhism as well and probably other religions too?

Deoridhe
Which Native American tribes? Also, you may want to look into the racism inherent in how western society has used modifications of the beliefs of the tribes it destroyed as a second layer of racism against those tribes. It's a large, long-lasting, and decidedly ugly aspect of Western Culture.

Buddhism has a strong non-violence leaning, since it's focus is non-attachment, but there is a strong cultural streak of self-violence (see self-immolation as a form of protest) which I would hold violates a true concept of non-violence.

Well one of the things I am confused of about my possible path of scientific pantheism is that if everything is considered holy then is there a non violent belief to it? To me it makes sense that is you worship everything then you wouldn’t want to harm any of it and be responsible for the destruction of something you find holy. So far I have not seen that specifically stated during my research of it. As far as the Native American tribes I learned it in a class in 10th grade and I’d have to do a lot of research to find out which native Americans I learned about specifically.

patience1984
I don’t like others telling me what days are more imp then others and how to celebrate it.

Deoridhe

There are plenty of religions that are specifically open or that have large sects that are very open. Reconstructionist jews are an example. That said, I fail to see why me wanting to make my own choices of how to observe a religion is a reason for me not to pursue a religion or social group.

patience1984

Read. Learn. Apply.

My goal is not to prove that my opinion is fact. All I was doing was saying that I have a belief. Then explained how I came up with my belief. Why do so many people believe I don’t comprehend logical fallacies? I don’t just read things and automatically accept them. I do appreciate some of it and I am still deciding on whether I agree with the notion of logical fallacies….but wither way it should not matter in this case because what I have stated I interpret as falling right into what you’re saying anyway. I have already said this quote…and I hate to repeat myself, but so many people ignore it I feel I have to.
“A good inductive argument is known as a strong (or "cogent") inductive argument. It is such that if the premises are true, the conclusion is likely to be true.” It is from: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/index.html#index (a very helpful link Tea gave me.) My premise is that nature/science sustains life in extraordinary quantifiable and theoretical manners in current times and so I conclude that it is most likely to be true that it is the source from which existence and everything else came into being (if there was a beginning at all.) The entire website is about logical fallacies and my premise makes sense according to it. I never said it was fact, just that it was more probable.

patience1984
I am fully aware that deities are non-falsifiable…which is why I have made it clear I can not be sure they don’t exist. But I can still make a hypothesis with as much of a case as I can.

Deoridhe
Actually, you can't. A basic quality all hypotheses need is to be falsifiable. That's science.

Umm, your saying that a hypothesis has to be proven wrong to be a hypothesis. That is not true….a hypothesis stays a hypothesis until it is proven. That doesn’t mean that until it is proven it is false unless you have evidence that it is false. Something that can’t be said for my theory. It is just unknown to be true or false. I am doing my best to see if I can bring the hypothesis closer and closer to being closer to true then false. So far it seems very reasonable to me.

Deoridhe
You ask what religion you're closest to; you seem to be closest to an atheist hostile to religion and gods in general seeking existential spirituality which may or may not steal from deliberately damaged and/or mistakenly appropriated cultures.
It seems you are trying to be helpful. But so far most of what you just summed up I have just provided reasons I feel are quite valid that explain why I feel your assessment is inaccurate. Ty for being helpful. I feel that if those who want to help think outside of the box it would help. But who knows, in a way everything has helped. For that I am sincerely grateful.  

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:32 pm
I don't feel like sifting though all that, so I'll just address this bit:

No. She told you a Hypothesis must be Falsifiable. Meaning it must possess the quality of being able to be proved or disproved.

If deities are non-falsifiable, then any "hypothesis" on them is not a hypothesis...as there is no way to test said Hypothesis. It's just a stab in the dark.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:06 pm
Ethermus Prime

I don't feel like sifting though all that, so I'll just address this bit:

No. She told you a Hypothesis must be Falsifiable. Meaning it must possess the quality of being able to be proved or disproved.

If deities are non-falsifiable, then any "hypothesis" on them is not a hypothesis...as there is no way to test said Hypothesis. It's just a stab in the dark.

When you use the word "hypothesis" it seems you mean in a controlled experiment. I was speaking more about a natural experiment. I feel this clearly explains it: “Much research in several important science disciplines, including economics, political science, geology, paleontology, ecology, meteorology, and astronomy, relies on quasi-experiments. For example, in astronomy it is clearly impossible, when testing the hypothesis "suns are collapsed clouds of hydrogen", to start out with a giant cloud of hydrogen, and then perform the experiment of waiting a few billion years for it to form a sun. However, by observing various clouds of hydrogen in various states of collapse, and other implications of the hypothesis (for example, the presence of various spectral emissions from the light of stars), we can collect data we require to support the hypothesis. An early example of this type of experiment was the first verification in the 1600s that light does not travel from place to place instantaneously, but instead has a measurable speed. Observation of the appearance of the moons of Jupiter were slightly delayed when Jupiter was farther from Earth, as opposed to when Jupiter was closer to Earth; and this phenomenon was used to demonstrate that the difference in the time of appearance of the moons was consistent with a measurable speed of light.” ( Source: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Experimental+science )

I would definitely not call it “just a stab in the dark”…I’m making the most educated guess I can and constantly reevaluating it based on my examinations.  

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 pm
patience1984
I’ll attempt the advice of the proper way to use the quotes but I don’t really understand so hopefully it will work. Computers are not my forte.

You have to NEST the quotes to make them work. However, I am beginning ot understand why you have such problems with logic; the nesting of quotes is a basic form of logic.

patience1984
Deoridhe

How does it make me a poor pagan? You said that the “dying and reborn gods” are in “most pantheons” not all.

Dying and reborn gods are in most, and afterlives are in all. In other words, you are hostile to two basic parts of religions. Given this, I really don't understand why you are interested in being part of one.

patience1984
Again I feel you have used the wrong word to describe my feelings. I am not “hostile” to mythology. I find a lot of it beautiful, just probably inaccurate in my opinion.

For someone seeking help, you do like to go semantic quickly.

patience1984
I never said I accept the western idea of a single soul. That is not what the oversoul is, quite the opposite.

Expand on this.

patience1984
Deoridhe

This is the definition that I mean: “The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.”
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Unconstrained by external circumstances?

How can something exist without external circumstances?

Gods, this is why the philosophy which comes out of Christianity makes my teeth itch.

patience1984
Deoridhe

What I was trying to say was that I can’t prove that nature/science was the cause of the start of existence (if there even was a start) but I have faith in it because in my eyes it has proven itself to me in other ways. It has a good track record. If someone typed up a résumé of the jewish god and a résumé of nature, I would hire nature because I can see it’s accomplishments. I hope that is more clear and you see now why I used and mean the word faith.

No, I can't. I think you are unclear in what faith is. The phrasing of "I can’t prove that nature/science was the cause of the start of existence (if there even was a start) but I have faith in it because in my eyes it has proven itself to me in other ways" indicates that you don't have faith because you don't believe, you accept it as the most likely hypothesis, which isn't faith.

patience1984
Deoridhe
patience1984

You have the soul concept of Judaism and Christianity…

No I don’t…you thought/think that oversoul and soul are synonymous when they are far from that.

No, I think that the ocncept of the oversoul was created in the philosophical lines which came out of Christianity, and thus are far closer to that than to anything non-Christian.

patience1984
Deoridhe
…and you're romanticizing nature, which is also Christian thing in a lot of cases (think Rousseau and many modern New Age movements).

It is much more then romanticizing…it may even be worshiping. Which seems more pagan then Christian considering pagans were appreciative of nature far before Christians even existed.

Worshiping is not an extreme form of romanticism.

patience1984
Deoridhe
Seems like you're closest to a secular Christian with pantheistic leanings and a poor comprehension of philosophy and science. I'd recommend not being religious.

It seems like I have been misjudged once again so I’m not sure about the “Christian with pantheistic leanings” part.

No, my disagreeing with your self-assessment does not automatically translate to you being misunderstood. "Christian" is a lot broader than you seem to think it is; you are closest to the UU and Quaker end of things, but your assumptions are fundamentally those of Christianity.

patience1984
How do you feel I have a “poor comprehension of philosophy and science” ?

Your understanding of the former is flawed by your irrational dislike of the dominant monotheistic religions of Western culture which leads you to claim that what you believe has no relationship with it. Your understanding of the latter is flaws by both your romanticism of it (and through it nature) and by your not comprehending simply forms of logic (like the nesting of quotes) and basics of science (falsifiability - see below).

patience1984
Some of the best philosophers, of not most, are those who think for themselves.

But you're not thinking for yourself. You are taking basic concepts, misunderstanding them, then acting as if no one has ever thought of them before.

Deoridhe
patience1984

Well one of the things I am confused of about my possible path of scientific pantheism is that if everything is considered holy then is there a non violent belief to it? To me it makes sense that is you worship everything then you wouldn’t want to harm any of it and be responsible for the destruction of something you find holy. So far I have not seen that specifically stated during my research of it.
Of course you haven't; that philosophy runs contrary to observed reality. If nothing should ever be destroyed, then we wouldn't exist.

patience1984
As far as the Native American tribes I learned it in a class in 10th grade and I’d have to do a lot of research to find out which native Americans I learned about specifically.

Yeah, that REALLY should speak for itself. Do you see what it says?

patience1984
Deoridhe
patience1984

There are plenty of religions that are specifically open or that have large sects that are very open. Reconstructionist jews are an example. That said, I fail to see why me wanting to make my own choices of how to observe a religion is a reason for me not to pursue a religion or social group.

Your words are conflicting again. If you consider reconstructionalist Judaism to be something where no one is told what days are more important or how to celebrate them, then you're either defining those words in some new way I am completely unaware of, or... I'm not sure. 8/

patience1984

Read. Learn. Apply.

My goal is not to prove that my opinion is fact. All I was doing was saying that I have a belief. Then explained how I came up with my belief. Why do so many people believe I don’t comprehend logical fallacies?
Because people point them out to you, you say, "that's not fallacious because it's my opinion," and we all face-palm because most fallacious things are opinions. Fallacies are used to winnow through opinions. Therefore saying something isn't fallacious because it's an opinion shows a profound ignorance of fallacies.

patience1984
Deoridhe
patience1984

Umm, your saying that a hypothesis has to be proven wrong to be a hypothesis.

Ur, no. That's not what falsifiable means. All hypotheses need to have a way to be PROVEN wrong is what falsifiable means. It sets rather sharp and fascinating edges on what science can and should address.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm
Patience
I was hoping that anyone who had some insights could tell me if what I currently believe is part of an established specific religion

It is!

A little birdy once told me...

In the beginning there was limitless light,
In the Ending, this is limitless light,
In the between times, we are the limitless light- Manifest!

The idea of the oversoul, of the unity within enlightenment that trancends
our world, our thoughts and our constructs while being an expression of the divine is known in at least one culture as Ain.

In this world view- Ain is the source of all.

But what is Ain?
Can we as humans say?
Could we ever, with tongues and words and constructs say what Ain is?
What it isn't?
Not really. What we can say about Ain is that the Ain we know is not Ain.
Ain is greater than what we know.
It is nature.
It is mortal. It is immortal.
It is all we experience and that which we have not experienced yet.

Like science- we cannot talk about what we don't know.
So- we talk about what we can know.

Ain decends into what people think of as God.

Or as others would have it:
Will.
It is wisdom.
It is understanding.
It is judgement.
It is mercy.
It is harmony.
It is victory.
It is honor.

It is the foundation of our wildest dreams and thoughts-
It is the atom split, formed and the space between that holds the mystery of knowledge.

It is an imperfect being-
But so are we- and this understanding is a reflection of ourselves upon the god we speak of.

Like fruit hung on a tree, one climbs from branch to branch tasting the fruits.

This religion encourages scientific study of the world around you.
This religion does not ask that you accept extrodinary claims of great supernatural deeds blindly.
This religion does ask that the stories of such be viewed symbolicly-
It does ask that the symbolism be examined and cherished for how it reflects our world.

Consider harm please. Harm happens- bidden or unbidden in life.
Violence is a cause of harm. As is nature. As are natrual laws.
Gravity harms the toddler when they fall and scrape their knee.

Violence is different. Violence has anger. Violence has malace.

Would you begrudge Gravity it's nature and expect no harm?
Or is harm a part of life- while violence, anger, malace are to be avoided-
And the seeds of harm they plant to be strived against?

It is a path that affirms truth in other's understandings within itself.

Critical thinking is important in this path.

Critical thinking would ask questions:
How does one quantify probibility?
Probibility is a numbers game:
But how do we measure that which cannot by definition be measured?

Tikat

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:33 pm
You are beyond helpful Tikat. Thank you so much. I tried searching "Ain" online and I can't find the path you have spoken about. Could you give me any other information so I can do some research on this promising possible path for me? Do you (does anyone reading this) know the name of this world view and/or culture? Thanks again either way.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:38 pm
A little Bird told me...

I can try to explain more.
I shall try and find online sources.

While I work to those ends-
What else would you like to know?

Tikat

Tikat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm
A little bird told me...
Tell us!
What else do you believe?
While I work, I shall see if it fits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:53 pm
hmm, you're already being such a help to me. I'm very appreciative. There are many things I want to know. I'm sure after I do research I will have more questions. I will try to think of ones I feel are the most important to me.

1. Do you know approximately how many people have had this belief for approximately how long?

2. Do you remember where you got the knowledge you did about it (and if so please share that info if you feel it will help)?

3. Do you know if there is a guessed answered to how the "beginning" of existence came into being in this path?

4. If there is all of this freedom in the path (which I enjoy) what amount of confines are there for the religion to keep it stable and definable?

5. You mentioned that there is at least one culture who feels the way you have expressed....does that mean that there are other cultures that are at least similar in their beliefs? If so, do you know nay info about them (names) that you feel may help me?

I believe that is all for now. It means a great deal to me that you are putting the time and effort into helping me. Please let me know if I can ever return the favor.

Tikat Prime

A little bird told me...
Tell us!
What else do you believe?
While I work, I shall see if it fits.

You mean other then what I wrote in my first post?  

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100

Tikat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 pm
A little bird told me...

This belief system has been around for about four thousand years.
Numbers that old can be tricky tricky.
So- that is what history estimates.

According to tradition- it existed in the beginning of time.
Since knowledge has been around since mankind-
It is a pretty symbol, yes?

The oral tradition is said to date back to the thirteen hundred's before common era.

The early centuries of the first millennium after common era saw much advancement.
The middle ages saw it flourish as science and early chemistry intertwined itself with the tradition.

The tradition is currently followed by around fifteen million people.

Most of what I learned I learned from teachers and books.
There are places that hold services where I live.
But you do not have to go to a service to be part of the tradition.
There are other religions that have adopted parts of this tradition too.

There are lots of things that came from this tradition-
Each a little different from one another.

There is no doctrine as to what started Ain.
Maybe we will know one day. Maybe when we are part of Ain again?
I don't know. Sorry.

Reason and personal understanding make it stable.
We don't have to agree with everyone for us to all contribute to a community.
There are teachings. But you are encouraged to learn them, then think about them and come to your own conclusions.

There is lots to learn. Lots and lots and lots.
There are huge libraries.
They have copies of ancient scrolls that teach different legends.
They have huge books on different teachings.
They have records of what other teaches throught-
Even when the other teachers disagreed with one another!
There are whole books of recordings where teachers disagreed and discussed why they disagreed with one another.

Other cultures have adapted parts of it.
Not the whole thing though.
They also changed some of it.

Some of what is changed is mean.
It mocks other people- like Christains and Buddhists.

There are priests.
There are scholars.
There are people who are neither.

There are people who go to services.
There are people who do not.

It has key teachings-

They believe in Ain.
Ain is the source of everything
They believe in the unity of Ain.
It's kind of like Monism.
They believe that we can't compair Ain to physical things accurately.
They believe everything will return to Ain.
If you are part of the tradition:
You shouldn't worship things that aren't Ain.
They believe that there is a spiritual Truth to the traditions.
That symbols hold a truth for people to find.
They have important people who taught this Truth.
They believe their ancient doctuments are unchanged.
There is archeological evidence to support this.
The last two thousand years have not changed them.
They believe that these doctuments are important.
They believe the universe has a nature-
And an understanding of itself.
They believe that if you act against natural laws
If you hurt others- you will bring harm to yourself.

They believe other things too. But those are important ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:56 pm
A little bird told me...

I reread your first post.
There are holidays and ceremonies.
But you don't have to participate in them-
You can not and still be part of the religion.

Rituals are a way to honor Ain.
Rituals are also another way to gain knowledge.

There are things we know because there is proof.
There are things we know because they are subjective-
And we have an opinion on those things.

There are things we experience that cannot be tested:
But they provide insight all the same.

How do we measure beauty?
How do we measure wisdom?
How do we measure mercy?
How do we measure justice?

We don't. We know them- personally.
We experience them.

This is a different kind of knowledge.

It isn't scientific. It isn't logical.
But that doesn't mean it is wrong.

Make sense?

Tikat

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 pm
Everything you have said makes sense. This link barely says anything and I don't think it is the Ain you referred to....but just in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain_(mythology)

Anyhow, you have already been so helpful as I said and I don't want to take up any of your time unless you are more willing....but if you ever remember the names of the books, or any source that leads me to be able to do my own research that would help me a lot. It seems as if it may be very close to if not actually being the path for me. But it is hard for me to be sure when I'm unable to study it myself in detail. I do appreciate all you have done so far as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:13 pm
A little bird told me...

Not the same Ain.

It's bed time.
I'll post titles and links tomorrow.
Sleep well.

Tikat

patience1984

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Healer 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:19 pm
oh, yeah...lol, bed. I suppose I should think about that too. sweet dreams as well and ty once more. I look forward to any information I see tomorrow and in the future, thanks again smile and plz do let me know if I can repay you in any way (I'd really like to if I can.)

Good Night all!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces