Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Writing Fantasy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lt Oblivious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:48 am
saint_savin
Best OT thread evar XD.

Ahem.

I confess. I like a little sparkly in my fantasy. Bust just a little! And I think most fantasy needs a little sparkle to work well. But! Too much sparkly is like too much rosemary. You will make your readers gag.

I'm getting a little hung up in some fantasy-character profiles I was working on. Too much shiny stuff. Need more regular people who fight with toasters or something...

Burnt Toast wars?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:32 pm
Stop looking at my outline hoard, LT XD.

The Twilight movie, I believe, will be the greatest comedy of the decade. I LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

Ahem, anyway. I've added some less sparkly people and drafted a really fab argument for the opening chapter. I really think it will be fun to get back to fantasy and a non-comedy after the Doorstop!

I sort of have this rant in my Lj a few days ago about how fantasy doesn't focus enough on the present or on characters (most of the time, mind you). Anyone else got thoughts on that? Or yaoi. Or both.  

saint_savin

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 am
I agree. I hate Twlight and may just go and see it for the fun of it. I will be the annoying person shouting out stuff.

I did that in a thriller film once, I think it was One Missed Call. The whole cinema was dead quiet and I just shouted "Don't do that!"
It was funny but when all my mates and I screamed the people behind us were annoyed. It wasn't even scary xd

I kinda write fantasy I guess. I put mine more into supernatural though its edging to more fantasy. My stories are always set in the present day and based around the characters.

Yaoi heart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:40 am
Yaoi! -hoardes-

I get the feeling I'm going to be dragged to it by one of my friends, as it seems that all the ones that regularly read are obsessed with it. They will do this despite the fact that I don't like those books and honestly don't give a flying ******** about shiny vampires.

Oooh! How are they gonna make him spakle on-set? Glitter?  

Lt Oblivious

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 am
Fantasy tends to be a very diverse genre, thats why so many people can prescribe to it and not read the same books. Most read it, but only read certian sections of it.

It's like any form of music, Metal for example, is all lumped under one musical genre. You've got a bunch of loosely tied sounds floating under than same giant umbrella. The sounds are more diverse than most other lables of music, but its still all thrown under the same catagory. I mean it spans from screaming industrial Polish Death Metal to symphonic melodic Progressive Power Metal. So I guess cliche Twilight Vampires and books that create whole other worlds, and even dark industrial Fae stories get to be lumped under the same literary umbrella too.

It sucks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:03 pm
People don't seem to understand what genre means or that a story can be more than one genre! Never mind sub genres and... oh, it's a crazy, wonderful tapestry not a dichotomy! *flails*

I put my money on crappy CG for the sparkles.  

saint_savin

Lt Oblivious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 pm
saint_savin
People don't seem to understand what genre means or that a story can be more than one genre! Never mind sub genres and... oh, it's a crazy, wonderful tapestry not a dichotomy! *flails*

I put my money on crappy CG for the sparkles.

Quite possible, but I'd still love to see them use glitter.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:00 am
I'm gonna enjoy going to see it. You'll get all these twilight fan girls in there no doubt and I'll just be laughing all the way through xD

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Hemlock Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:41 am
It'd be amusing to watch, but I'd rather not pay for it.

And I agree, the fantasy genre lump is very broad and vague. My work tends to fall under the fantasy umbrella though I think each one falls into sub-genres that would better relate to the actual genre of the story.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:40 am
I think I'll Netflix it when it comes out. I REALLY don't like theatres and I'm certainly not busting ten dollars to go see Twilight. Even if I could smuggle in a bag of cookies.

I'll always remember the genre poster my fifth grade teacher had up.

"Fantasy contains impossible elements such as magical powers or talking animals."

I was always: "Buh? So, political speeches are fantasy then?"  

saint_savin

Nefas Fatum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:50 pm
Watching Twilight at the movies is a temptation.. JUST to see the fangirls..  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:22 am
Haha I would be so tempted to give them a piece of my mind. And the actor playing Edward? Ugh he makes me sick.

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Hemlock Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:58 pm
A bunch of teenage morons waited all night outside Comic-con for a glimpse of the film.

One of them had this to say about the books:

Quote:
"It's a really good love story that has fantasy," said Emma Quan, 18. "It's like 'Harry Potter' plus romance plus good-looking people."

The shallowness of this statement really just says it all about the books, doesn't it? I mean, if you tack on "it's good because of the hot people" it's fairly obvious the books aren't as good as the fanbase thinks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 pm
DesertRoseFallen
Haha I would be so tempted to give them a piece of my mind. And the actor playing Edward? Ugh he makes me sick.

Who's the actor?  

Nefas Fatum

SugarRos
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:52 am
Nefas Fatum
DesertRoseFallen

Who's the actor?

Robert Pattinson. He played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. I don't mind him, I think he's a good actor, it's the chick that looks off to me. She literally looks dead in the previews I've seen.  
Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff