Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:01 pm
So if I were to go through and throw out the remaining passages, what would that mean? That none of it's true. I believe this half and not that half, and you believe that half and not this half. If everyone picks and chooses which parts of the Bible are true and which are not, then essentially, none of the it is true. Do you see what I'm trying to say?  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:05 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
So if I were to go through and throw out the remaining passages, what would that mean? That none of it's true. I believe this half and not that half, and you believe that half and not this half. If everyone picks and chooses which parts of the Bible are true and which are not, then essentially, none of the it is true. Do you see what I'm trying to say?
I see what you mean. I feel that each must look at the bible and decide for themself which parts to believe.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:13 pm
The Bible should be read and studied, I agree with you there. If we're to truly know God, we have to delve into His Word and pick it apart and figure out every little meaning to everything; otherwise, we'll stagnate and not grow. Everyone should also read the Bible prayerfully, asking that the Spirit guide their interpretation of the passages, and to point out useful meanings and applications. Everyone should look at the Bible and choose if they believe it or not, because God did give us the freedom of choice, but when it comes to God, we know that nothing is impossible. That's why we can trust Him- we know that if He says He will do something, He will do it. Just because there's no proof does not mean certain things did not happen. By doubting that this or that happened, you are doubting God's ability to perform miracles and execute judgments.

Which sounds alot more accusatory than I mean it to, I just don't know any other way to say it. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:33 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
The Bible should be read and studied, I agree with you there. If we're to truly know God, we have to delve into His Word and pick it apart and figure out every little meaning to everything; otherwise, we'll stagnate and not grow. Everyone should also read the Bible prayerfully, asking that the Spirit guide their interpretation of the passages, and to point out useful meanings and applications. Everyone should look at the Bible and choose if they believe it or not, because God did give us the freedom of choice, but when it comes to God, we know that nothing is impossible. That's why we can trust Him- we know that if He says He will do something, He will do it. Just because there's no proof does not mean certain things did not happen. By doubting that this or that happened, you are doubting God's ability to perform miracles and execute judgments.

Which sounds alot more accusatory than I mean it to, I just don't know any other way to say it. sweatdrop
I do not doubt MOST of the miracles, I doubt many of the rules thrown out, especially those concerning sexual matters, however.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 am
I have to ask; do you decide not to believe them becasue you don't believe them? Or because it makes you feel less convicted of some action you have done or want to do?

As Fushigi has tried to explain, you either believe the Bible is the divinely-inspired word of God or you don't. Believe all of it or none of it. You can't pick and choose what you believe out of it. If you're doing that, you might as well just throw the whole thing out of the window and go your own way.

Both picking and choosing what passages you believe and misinterpretation have led to some very dangerous and, indeed, tragic trains of thought. If we're picking and choosing, it becomes to easy to manipulate the meaning held within the pages.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:51 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
...mostly just the Epistles were written by Apostles.

You mean the Epistles weren't the wives of the Apostles? gonk  

Priestley

Atomic Pixie7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 pm
Wow! A lot of these post are so helpful to me. I have read the Bible all the way through and believe it is all completely true. It is inspired by God. But, I always wondered and tried to understand all of the OT laws and how it seems that we follow some, but not others. Like the parts where it talks about how men should cut there hair and beards and such, things like that, men don't follow that, not even Christian ones. It's just all those nit picking kind of laws. Now, reading some of these posts it is like finally putting into words and explaination what I have thought, but didn't really know how to put it. Thanks everyone.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 am
Ixor-san
I have to ask; do you decide not to believe them becasue you don't believe them? Or because it makes you feel less convicted of some action you have done or want to do?

As Fushigi has tried to explain, you either believe the Bible is the divinely-inspired word of God or you don't. Believe all of it or none of it. You can't pick and choose what you believe out of it. If you're doing that, you might as well just throw the whole thing out of the window and go your own way.

Both picking and choosing what passages you believe and misinterpretation have led to some very dangerous and, indeed, tragic trains of thought. If we're picking and choosing, it becomes to easy to manipulate the meaning held within the pages.
Okay, lets just agree to disagree here, because my planned retort to this will simply cause a fight.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:31 pm
@Atomic Pixie: Glad that you were able to find some help. 3nodding

@Valley: There's no need to get defensive. She's simply asking why you decide to throw out some of the old and new laws. I think we all have to ask ourselves why we do it, because we all do it. For example, I follow the two great Commandments that Jesus gave to the best of my ability: to love God with all my heart, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. I love God by following His commands (which is what the Bible tells us is loving God- not a fuzzy feeling we get when we think of loving God), and I love my neighbor by putting their needs and wants before mine, by forgiving them, even when they don't deserve it, and by sharing the truth of Jesus' salvation with them if they haven't heard it or haven't accepted it (I share the truth, I don't Bible bash). The Old Testament laws I ignore because I follow Jesus and I do what He would have me do; the old laws don't apply to me because of Him, and because my culture doesn't call for them (I don't live in the desert for example). The laws of the New Testament I study and take with a grain of salt, because I'm still trying to figure out how they're to be taken, and I don't want to offend anyone, and least of all God. I pray for the people those laws affect and I pray for myself that I can learn to discern what's right and wrong.

So that's why I ignore and observe the laws I do- what about you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:36 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
@Atomic Pixie: Glad that you were able to find some help. 3nodding

@Valley: There's no need to get defensive. She's simply asking why you decide to throw out some of the old and new laws. I think we all have to ask ourselves why we do it, because we all do it. For example, I follow the two great Commandments that Jesus gave to the best of my ability: to love God with all my heart, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. I love God by following His commands (which is what the Bible tells us is loving God- not a fuzzy feeling we get when we think of loving God), and I love my neighbor by putting their needs and wants before mine, by forgiving them, even when they don't deserve it, and by sharing the truth of Jesus' salvation with them if they haven't heard it or haven't accepted it (I share the truth, I don't Bible bash). The Old Testament laws I ignore because I follow Jesus and I do what He would have me do; the old laws don't apply to me because of Him, and because my culture doesn't call for them (I don't live in the desert for example). The laws of the New Testament I study and take with a grain of salt, because I'm still trying to figure out how they're to be taken, and I don't want to offend anyone, and least of all God. I pray for the people those laws affect and I pray for myself that I can learn to discern what's right and wrong.

So that's why I ignore and observe the laws I do- what about you?

Simply trying to avoid a fight. I had a flame barrage ready to launch at her, but decided it was best not to.

I ignore laws that simply make no sense (to me) at all, like the laws on sex.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:38 pm
Sex in general or homosexual sex? Or both? Or neither?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Sex in general or homosexual sex? Or both? Or neither?
I do not see gay sex or premarital sex as wrong. Rape- outright wrong.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:49 pm
If I give you a Christmas present, don't you think you'll lose some of the enjoyment of it being a Christmas present if you open it before Christmas? Especially if that's the only present you get for Christmas- then you have nothing to open while everyone else is opening their Christmas presents.

As for homosexual sex, I'm still trying to understand God's plan for that, so I can't say one way or the other.

Nevertheless, just because we don't understand God's laws for us and His standards does not make us exempt from them. You might think it's stupid to go the speed limit, but you're still going to get charged with breaking the law if you get pulled over. We have to follow what God commands no matter if we agree with Him or not- that is how we love Him. Going right against what He says is like telling Him that you know better than He does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:53 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
If I give you a Christmas present, don't you think you'll lose some of the enjoyment of it being a Christmas present if you open it before Christmas? Especially if that's the only present you get for Christmas- then you have nothing to open while everyone else is opening their Christmas presents.

As for homosexual sex, I'm still trying to understand God's plan for that, so I can't say one way or the other.

Nevertheless, just because we don't understand God's laws for us and His standards does not make us exempt from them. You might think it's stupid to go the speed limit, but you're still going to get charged with breaking the law if you get pulled over. We have to follow what God commands no matter if we agree with Him or not- that is how we love Him. Going right against what He says is like telling Him that you know better than He does.
If it is in fact God's law. Bible- written by Man, inspired by God. Which parts are true, which are false? I can only guess, and find out when I die.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:59 pm
And by then it might be too late for you. Why risk that?  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff