Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pop-Music Magic! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lotus Poem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:49 pm
I think that music is very powerful and there isn't anything fluffy, in my opinion, about using pop music in meditation, ritual, or magic. Nothing makes me feel quite as good as singing as loud and as long as possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:09 pm
Nuri
TheDisreputableDog
Oh give these clay feet wings to fly / To touch the face of the stars
A prayer I repeat often.

Same here. An inspiring song -- it's actually on a playlist I have for when I'm biking the local trail. It's just a great song to move body, mind and soul.

*points to signature* biggrin One of my favorite songs ever!

As for music I use it ritual and meditation, I've rarely use pop music. It's not necessarily because I don't listen to it (I do enjoy a lot of it, really!), but I generally can't listen to anything with English lyrics (or any lyrics that I've listened to enough to have them ingrained in my mind) because I'll start singing along with it, usually without knowing it.

Since I've learned about it in college, I always use minimalistic music while meditating (pretty much the precursor to techno). John Adams, Philip Glass and Steve Reich are the most famous for this. Sadly, the one I use most often doesn't have a decent video up on youtube. I had a group of friends at my old college who would regularly meditate to John Adams's "Shaker Loops". There's also a lot of Eastern European folk and Irish harp songs that have very repetitive qualities that work well.
Last year I had a discussion about using music during meditation with a Buddhist nun in Korea and she said that usually it's something she urges people to avoid but understood my need for it, and told me that as long as it didn't become the thing that I focused on, she couldn't see it being a bad thing. Pretty much anything that falls nicely to the back of my mind, taking all the other internal music with it, works really well for me.  

Ainwyn

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces