Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
African American Goth Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your race?
  African american
  Caucasian
  Oriental
  Hispanic
  Other?
View Results

ffsghyanbh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm
I find it a pleasing sight.
Glad that there's a level of equality in the counterculture.

I can't talk much about my experience with goth and race, what with the whole Scandinavian heritage thing... not much to say that wouldn't be stating the obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:52 pm
BisexualBlood

Anyway...I was wondering:
1.Are you an african american goth? If so do you deal with the annoyances I do as well?
2.Caucasian Goths, what do -you- think of us? How would you treat us?

Think on this:
If everyone was wiped of skin color and had only their clothes and mind set to set them apart from one another. What would you find to discriminate against then? Would you still be so judgmental?

1: I'm Caucasian.
2: I've never met an african american goth. I wish I was one though. I may sound completely ignorant and stupid here, but if I were a african american goth girl, I'd totally go for the voodoo goth look, something that only I could pull off. Something like Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean, but much darker.

Thought About:
Really, I try not to discriminate. I live in California and there really aren't very many racial issues here. Except with Mexicans... they discriminate against caucasians. sweatdrop xd I'm not that judgmental to begin with, I'm a very laid back sort of person. I meet a person I'm like "Hey what's up, nice to meet you. Ok, cool. Bye." Also, I'm really shy, so I wait until other people say hello or someone introduces me. I treat people more or less the same. Except for people that are already my friends, cause I treat them better than everyone else. xd  

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

Undead Goth Inc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:43 am
i dont treat black people any more different than white
i love black people
but then again
the whole gang thing just ticks me off
the bloods, the crips, the KKK
even though that not for black ppl, lol
i hate gang crisis with passion  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 pm

I am an African American goth. And yes I deal with a lot of "Black people can't be goth." or the "Goth is for white people" or things similar to that on a weekly basis. Since my school has a majority of people of color and a minority of people lacking color (which are mostly preps, emos and wanna be punks) they find it odd that I don't fit in with either one of the groups. I don't really care but hearing those comments really pushes my buttons. Honestly I'm glad I don't fit into the whole rapper and gang persona because being lumped in with that would make me feel horrible really. I'm glad to be goth and the people I hang around with are just fine with it since they are people from all sorts of races and such. I'm proud to be myself and not be like the other people and walk to my own drum.

NekoYasha09er

babykitty18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:40 pm
Dark PacMan
i love black people
but then again

So do i! It gives black boys a bad name. The minute u see baggy jeans and black skin "they" automatically assume he's a gang member. Wen usually thats not the case! And im so glad u love black ppl! lmao xp xd  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:59 pm
babykitty18
Lazarus The Resurected
babykitty18
Tainted Deity
Rellik San
Lazarus The Resurected

we all have the issue with the parental units. i moved out.

I don't, I get on with my parents just fine.

Yup, me too.
My parents drink more than me when we go to parties.

well yall just lucky as hell cuz i can't move out (no money no friends will take me in) and remember these aren't my parents (guardians) so us not getting along isn't surprising. xp

homelessness, not such a bad thing as long as you know how to panhandle and sleep with weapons close to hand. (note i don't actually advise this, looking back it sucked but having been past that point in my life i can shrug it off)

gahh! i couldn't do! not in this city...i'd be raped by every dude in the city (im not good wit weapons) sweatdrop

weapons are pretty easy. the pointy end goes in the attacker. or in the case of blunt objects simply swing until they stop kicking or run away.  

Gaylord Mule 3

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:28 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
babykitty18
Lazarus The Resurected
babykitty18
Tainted Deity

Yup, me too.
My parents drink more than me when we go to parties.

well yall just lucky as hell cuz i can't move out (no money no friends will take me in) and remember these aren't my parents (guardians) so us not getting along isn't surprising. xp

homelessness, not such a bad thing as long as you know how to panhandle and sleep with weapons close to hand. (note i don't actually advise this, looking back it sucked but having been past that point in my life i can shrug it off)

gahh! i couldn't do! not in this city...i'd be raped by every dude in the city (im not good wit weapons) sweatdrop

weapons are pretty easy. the pointy end goes in the attacker. or in the case of blunt objects simply swing until they stop kicking or run away.
Which is all well and good, then encounter someone with some skill with that weapon who disarms you... then what?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:15 am
Rellik San
Which is all well and good, then encounter someone with some skill with that weapon who disarms you... then what?

Resort to more drastic methods: kick 'em on the groin and run.

Kostbarer Alptraum

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 am
babykitty18
Dark PacMan
i love black people
but then again

So do i! It gives black boys a bad name. The minute u see baggy jeans and black skin "they" automatically assume he's a gang member. Wen usually thats not the case! And im so glad u love black ppl! lmao xp xd
The bad rep does come mostly from the police brutality in LA though. I mean you'd be shocked how many LA'ers under 18 have never heard of the LA Riots when the African American gangs united against the police to stand up against the bullshit they were put under.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:37 pm
African American and goth, here.
People have never really known how to react to me. They only insult me behind my back not to my face; I've never actually HAD any real problems.
I think I've gotten a snide remark about how I wasn't hanging around with the Goths once or twice, but nothing worth paying attention to.

Sorry, I can't sympathize. ]:

Choklit Teddi

450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300

babykitty18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:01 pm
Kostbarer Alptraum
Rellik San

Thats what i was thinking thanks Rellik san! And yea kicking them in the groined may work...if they don't catch my leg while im kicking and i get molested afterwards! gonk *sigh* bottom line i will not go homeless on my own free will sweatdrop xp  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:45 pm
babykitty18
Kostbarer Alptraum
Rellik San

Thats what i was thinking thanks Rellik san! And yea kicking them in the groined may work...if they don't catch my leg while im kicking and i get molested afterwards! gonk *sigh* bottom line i will not go homeless on my own free will sweatdrop xp

You have two legs. Switch sides and use the other. Or you could just... comfortly stay at home.

Kostbarer Alptraum

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:57 pm
I hate it when people say you're acting like a certain race. How does that make any sense at all?
And there's the whole oreo/uh-oh oreo thing...have you guys heard that? Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:18 pm
Also..I would think it would be difficult to be a black goth, especially if you live in a conservative(ish) area or family.

The other day in my American Diversity class we were talking about people who are part of multiple, sometimes conflicting social groups. Like my professor said he had a friend who was black and gay, so he couldn't really hang out with the blacks, but he couldn't really hang out with the gays (who were mostly white and lived in the rich part of town).

But I don't know. Goths tend to be a lot less prejudiced than other people, I think. Probably the only trouble would be from non-goths, yeah?

perrenthezombie

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:21 am
Physically I suppose I'm the stereotypical goth — scrawny, dark haired and unhealthily pale (I'm a white woman with anemia). But I don't think gothdom is limited to one race or skin colour. I come from Hawaii, where there are tanned goths, Asian goths and even a few African American goths. I try to treat all people the same way, no matter what their race or subculture.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff