Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

Quilue Lamia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 am
thanks!!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:18 am
If you read the original Grimm's fairy tales, there are a lot of weak, stupid women in them. However, sometimes those weak, stupid women wise up and get themselves out of the jam they got into.

Disney movies aren't all that bad. And the heroines do more than you think. Really the only one who does nothing to help her own cause is Sleeping Beauty. The prince does everything in that movie.

Beauty and the Beast: Beauty volunteers herself in place of her father so that he doesn't stay in a cell and get sick. She later stands up to an angry mob and tries to tell them the Beast is a good person.

The Little Mermaid: Ariel goes out and gets herself legs! If that's not a huge leap of faith, I don't know what is. Then she has to overcome her inability to tell Eric how she feels. Proactive woman right there.

Cinderella: She cooks, cleans, mends, and does every little chore thrown at her. She doesn't even have time to make her dress for the ball. So what if the mice do it for her? Doesn't everyone have to rely on friends every now and again?

Snow White: Finds out her step-mom hates her enough to kill her so she runs off and starts a new life cleaning up after 7 men. The fact that she doesn't become a shrew says something about her backbone.

These are just the classic characters, but even Disney didn't make them total wimps. (Other than Sleeping Beauty.)  

Wissakins

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 am
I have noticed what you mean. Though there are some older tales with strong heroines, there was a period of weakness in the female characters in the tales written. There was also a period of writers who were big on writing about strong women. The first three quartets written by Tamora Pierce were all really good books about heroines. I can't claim to be widely read, but I can't help but enjoy Pierce's way of making the woman the main theme in her series' . There are other series that woman are stronger, but I have noticed that there are a lot of books written these days that the woman are sniveling little girls who just sit in wait for there prince to help them. THAT gets very annoying. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 pm
Well Keladry from the Protector of the Small series was a great heroine, but Alanna from the Song of the Lioness series is the best heroine I've ever read about; she's feminine to the liking, but is strong enough to take care of herself!! She doesn't need a man to protect her (Though I'm glad she chose George over Jonathan...)!!!! Also, Cate Tiernan's Sweep series was a great series, with Morgan being a strong heroine!! Sure, I wasn't sure if I liked the fact that she was so naiive in the beginning, but otherwise she was a great witch!!! Oh and by the way, why is it that every book I've read with a strong heroine, the heroine's got some magic power in some way, shape, or form?  

violeteyes77

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 pm
Because this is fantasy?

You mentioned one, yourself: Kel in Protector of the Small doesn't have any powers. There are others in which the main characters don't have special powers. Carpe Diem, The Liveship Traders books, the Negotiator trilogy, others that I can't think of right now. But really, the main character(s) having magical powers is generally the easiest way to go.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:37 pm
Though the most cliched way to go.

I actually like Kel better. She's more like me, and femininity is NOT one of my qualities.  

Kahahana

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm
Yep. And cliched=simple.

n.n  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 am
Maybe we should get back on topic....

Nah.  

Kahahana

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:14 pm
lol Technically we are still on the topic... somewhat haha. I agree with you all though, Keladry is one of the best heroines I have read of. She has no special powers that make her partial, she is just a really good leader. The protector of the small series is one of the best for examples of a great heroine. The song of the lioness series is good, too.
lol I have to say I am thankful for Tamora Pierce hahaha. She doesn't tend to make us females look weak and idiotic like some other authors.
Like, and I apologize for mentioning the mainstream, but despite how much I like the Twilight series... Is it just me or does Bella seem like the exact example of what we are saying is a bad example of girls?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:12 am
To be honest... I don't remember anything about that book. n.n"  

NightIntent
Captain

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:22 am
lol Alright then! I guess that works hahaha  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:03 am
I think a lot of it has to do with who is doing the writing. Female writers tend to make their heroines a lot stronger or more realistic (like clumsy) while men give them a passive, pretty-as-a-picture roll. Also, when the older Disney movies were made, women pretty much resembled those characters in society's eyes (or at least they wanted them to). Now that women have more power in society and are considered equal to men and just as capable, the characters start to resemble them because society no longer restricts them. --- I'm kind of tired so this sounds like babble, but I hope it makes sense.  

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

murphyad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:07 pm
I have recently read a lot of old Celtic Fairy Tales and both genders have the same faults and in the end everyone dies

though the women are mostly sexless unless they are those who prey on men exploiting sexuality ,

if there is a princess who saves the day she will live out her days with her seven brothers cleaning for them

if there is a prince who loves a girl pure of heart then an evil trollop will steal him and cause everyone to die in the end  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:20 pm
About the Disney picking on females, the reason why a lot of women weren't really likable or evil or helpless is because Walt Disney himself had an 'evil stepmother' and that obviously bled into his work. I mean look at disney movies most of the villains are female and most of the stories involve a main character who loses or only has one parent or has no parents whatsoever.
Sorry had to get that in their and there are always going to be the helpless damsel as well as the chick who has to save everybodies elses butt, its just the way it is.  

Shexyfeline92

Blessed Wench

9,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Wissakins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:20 am
Well, all the princess Disney movies are based on previous tales. So Disney really didn't choose whether or not they had evil step-mothers and such. They took the old tales and re-vamped them for modern little girls. (And some of them they completely changed the endings, i.e. The Little Mermaid.)

Back on subject, women have a larger role in today's world, therefore they tend to be written stronger and more independent than they used to be.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff