Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:25 am
Anyone seen any of the films made from Oscar Wilde plays? I've seen the earlier film of The Importance of Being Earnest adn teh more recent film of An Ideal Husband (which starred Rupert Everett, Cate Blanchett, some actor I can't remember and Minne Driver.) It's all very witty...an intelligent kind of humour that you would never find outside of Britain. I think that the British really excel at comedies of manners. I haven't actually seen many British Good Films (note capitals), but I'm told 28 days later is excellent. More recently, there are all those romcoms with Hugh Grant in, which are kind of fun, if more than a little trashy. James Bond films started off really good, with their fantasic overdone-ness ( know that's not a word, but meh), but the most recent ones, particulaly Die Another Day are, not to put too fine a point on it, crap. Pierce Brosnan is too believable. They somehow lost all their vintage value.
All the Nick Park films are great
And Monty Python pwns all.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:42 pm
One of my favorite films of all time has been Martin Rosen's adaptation of Richard Adam's 'Watership Down' (197 cool . What do you think?  

Hargreaves

Hargreaves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:52 pm
hmmm... What about 'A Clockwork Orange' (1971), It was certainly set and filmed in England, even if Stanley Kubrick wasn't english himself...Does that count? While it isn't a particually favorite film of mine, I thought it deserved a place here.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:54 pm
Hargreaves
One of my favorite films of all time has been Martin Rosen's adaptation of Richard Adam's 'Watership Down' (197 cool . What do you think?

i love that film possibly the only film that made me cry and i had to have it on video! xd briliiant, and the sound track is beautiful!  

fwikin

fwikin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:57 pm
Hargreaves
hmmm... What about 'A Clockwork Orange' (1971), It was certainly set and filmed in England, even if Stanley Kubrick wasn't english himself...Does that count? While it isn't a particually favorite film of mine, I thought it deserved a place here.

ye that film ******** me up lol, and when some people in my media class kept asking if they could watch the film at school because they hadnt seen it before , i cringed! stressed  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:00 pm
fwikin
Hargreaves

i love that film possibly the only film that made me cry and i had to have it on video! xd briliiant, and the sound track is beautiful!

I still have the 80's recording my parents made off the television sweatdrop I want to buy the DVD though soon. The film is really disturbing for a "childrens" story. The BBFC even gave it a 'U' rating... but Disney films (I dislike Disney *wince*) get higher ratings and Disney has never shown blood.

Mike Batt is excellent, and for fear of going very much of topic I shall merely say that mr. Batt has sung many songs (I reccomend 'Losing Your Way In The Rain', 'Voices In The Dark' and 'The Railway Hotel)  

Hargreaves

Hargreaves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:03 pm
fwikin
Hargreaves

ye that film ******** me up lol, and when some people in my media class kept asking if they could watch the film at school because they hadnt seen it before , i cringed! stressed

*slight spoilers* /for 'A Clockwork Orange'
ha ha, We saw the first 5 minutes in Media... I would never have thought I'd ever see a film like this... but I thought the concept was so facinating that I asked around about it. Then a girl (she got it from her aunt for her birthday... eek what?) I knew said she had it... Thoughout the entire film I felt sorry for a rapist... it's that kinda thought with messed up my head. I felt it was this aspect of the film that was very clever. Also the shot where Alex tries to kill himself. Kubrick actually dropped a camera off a roof in a special box he had made for the occasion... Oh, and I can't listen to 'Singing In The Rain' without having flashbacks... sweatdrop

Maybe I had more tolerance for the content because I expected worse. I was in no fewer than three minds about seeing it. However, if you go in with limited expectations, you might find yourself plesently suprised. Though, I did have to keep telling myself that some of it wasn't real. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:16 pm
'Wallace And Gromit' (Ardman Animation), surely those films have a place in many peoples hearts biggrin  

Hargreaves

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:11 am
Hargreaves
'Wallace And Gromit' (Ardman Animation), surely those films have a place in many peoples hearts biggrin

With the plane, with the porridge-gun! Yes, it has a place in our hearts, it's on the British Stereotypes thread too..

P291

..and a few pages after that too.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:09 am
One of the best British has got to be Trainspotting, followed closely by the Soon-To-Come Leauge of Gentlemen movie wink .  

Pepe`

fwikin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:13 am
blaugh what about snatch! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:17 am
fwikin

Once you throw Brad Pitt in a movie it's hardly British anymore stare .  

Pepe`

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:21 am
PsyComa
fwikin

Must admit, I would far rather throw Brad Pitt into the North Sea, but hey, what can you do? blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:29 am
PsyComa
fwikin

but it was good , wasnt it, or what about 28 days later , now that guy was hot! blaugh especially when he shaved and ran topless in the rain! rawr!  

fwikin

Pepe`

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:39 am
illyrianth
PsyComa
fwikin

but hey, what can you do? blaugh

Yea, Throw him into the North Sea!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas