Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Heartless Hippie

Shameless Lover

9,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 pm
I just went to the Library and got Books, I've finished "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray, now I'm working on "A Wizard Alone" by Diane Duane, "Inkspell" by Cornelia Funke, and "magyk" by Angie Sage. If I cut the tv off I might be done by the end of the week >>;; but they're running a marathon of Star Wars <<;;; eh heh.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:59 am
EmmaIce476
"Ahead Lies Something You Need...

Ok. I'll answer this in numerical order (Or so..)
Title: Inkheart
Author: Cornelia Funke

1.) (I'll type the back of it since I stink at summaries)
One cruel night, Meggie's father reads aloud from Inkheart, and an evil ruler named Capricorn escaped the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is in the middle of the kind of adventure she has only read about in books. Meggie must learn to harness the magic that has conjured this nightmare. Only she can change the course of the story that has changed her life forever.
Characters:
Meggie
Mo
Dustfinger
Elinor
Resa(She is becoming important for a reason I can't tell...)
Basta
Fenoglio
Flatnose
Gwin
Farid
Capricorn
Mortola (thye call her 'The Magpie' or 'Magipie')

2.) I love heart heart the book so far! I love it because it's someting I've been dreaming about ever since I read 'Artemis Fowl'; To read the character right out of the book to meet them IN PERSON. smile

3.) I havn't read anything of Cornelia Funke at all before Inkheart, but we have Dragon Rider by her in our own little collection of books.

4.) Yes, Inkeahrt is a series. The next book is Inkspell. That's it, so far. It's a long book. This one is over 500 pages. Inkspell is over 600 pages.

5.) I usually place the book I'm reading on my top list. I have a lot of favorites. Like (these are mostly series) Artemis Fowl Series, Ranger's Apprentice Series, Percy Jackson Series, and now the Inkheart Series. smile

6.) This style is not new to me. All the books I have mentioned in Itallics (except Dragon Rider) are all very different. Special, in it's own unique way. LONG POST sorry....Oh! I forgot to add.. Inkheart Will be a major motion picture on March 19th, 2008. I saw it in the other forums and on youtube by the link on the forum given. And, the quotes "Because Fear Kills... ...Your Mind, Heart, And Imagination." Are from Inkheart too. But, I don't have it up. I have this one from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories up instead. You'll see the Inkheart quote on toher forums. smile

...But to Claim it, You Must Lose Something Dear."

I am currently reading InkHeart also, altought for me it is the second time that i have read it. I believe that InkHeart is a wonderful book about, well, books. i know that it sounds weird, but the writing of this piece is fantastic!!!! It's sequel InkSpell, is also a very good book. I reccomend these books to everyone!!!!

InkHeart is about a young girl named Meggie. She is a mere infant when her mother is taken form her and locked within the pages of a mysterious book, InkHeart. In exchange for her mother, two cats and a fly on the wall they get Dustfinger, a seemingly harmless and pitiful fire eater, Capricorn, the most cruel and cynical demon of a man, and Basta, Capricorn's devoted right hand man. it is these people who will chance her family's life. Mo, Meggie's father is brought into the center things, due to the fact that he was the one who brought then into our world. So it is with Meggie, Mo, Aunt Elinor (Meggie's book-loving Aunt), as well as others that they try to find a way to be rid of Capricorn and return everyone to their own stories. blaugh

I sincerely hope that everyone who has time to read this also has time to read the book, i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

"A true feast for anyone who has ever been lost on a book." - Kirkus Reviews, starred review.  

Mint Meow

Pesky Gekko

10,850 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100

8minbefore

7,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:40 am
I just finished reading Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I really enjoyed it. I would recomend it to anyone who likes fantasy, but be aware that it is somewhat of a mature book. I can't wait to get the sequel Magic Study.

I just started Fall of a Kingdom, but I'm not sure if I'll like this one that much.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm
im read the "The host" right now 3nodding
its real good  

soccerstars10

FlixiePixie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 am
soccerstars10
im read the "The host" right now 3nodding
its real good

I also just finished reading The Host. It was a little drawn out.... a little too long of a book for the story, but it was very good!  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:43 pm
I just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It was amazing. I'm re-reading one of his anthologies right now...  

Dunsinane Hill

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:28 pm
I have nothing to read! crying so I'm just re-reading Dead Until Dark, and I'm going to start re-reading Full Tilt, and I'm re-listening to The Sorcerer's Stone.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:38 am
I am currently in the middle of two books. The first one is the first book in the DragonLance Chronicles (I forget the name). I don't really know how to decribe this, so I'm not going to ruin the plot by trying to explain it, but I really enjoy it, it's written for readers of an older age, so it is written very well.
The second is Pretties. It is the sequal to Uglies. I am in love with these books! The first one is about a worl in which people at the age of 16 get an operation to make them pretty. And once you're pretty you get to party all day and night. But Tally, the protagonist, meets Shay, a girl who doesn't want to be pretty, wants to escape. Her world changes as she is brought into an adventure she never would have thought possible.  

gemela_dos

Heroic Gekko

15,450 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

PoemAtGunpoint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 pm
gemela_dos
I am currently in the middle of two books. The first one is the first book in the DragonLance Chronicles (I forget the name). I don't really know how to decribe this, so I'm not going to ruin the plot by trying to explain it, but I really enjoy it, it's written for readers of an older age, so it is written very well.
The second is Pretties. It is the sequal to Uglies. I am in love with these books! The first one is about a worl in which people at the age of 16 get an operation to make them pretty. And once you're pretty you get to party all day and night. But Tally, the protagonist, meets Shay, a girl who doesn't want to be pretty, wants to escape. Her world changes as she is brought into an adventure she never would have thought possible.

Eek! Dragonlance? Me too! I read the first trilogy..forget the name, the books were always a season and a dragon..like, autumn dragons or something. I'm currently reading the Legends Trilogy or some such thing, with Raistlin and Caramon.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:27 pm
Dunsinane Hill
I just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It was amazing. I'm re-reading one of his anthologies right now...

I love Neil Gaiman. I just finished reading American Gods and now I'm in the middle of Neverwhere.  

Catherine of Aragon

Dunsinane Hill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 pm
shadow_angel321
Dunsinane Hill

I love Neil Gaiman. I just finished reading American Gods and now I'm in the middle of Neverwhere.

Mmmm, American Gods. Absolutely freaking incredible! I just finished Neverwhere, too. It rocked my socks.

I'm currently devouring Neil Gaiman's Sandman series of graphic novels as fast as I can get them from the library. I'm also re-reading Neverwhere.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:00 pm
im reading Dragon rider by Cornelia Funke
xd  

soccerstars10

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:59 pm
i just finished reading That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:24 am
My neighbor recently dropped off a TON of books that had been sitting in her closet, and after swimming through the many I had already read, I came across two different books that caught my eye, and am now reading them.

The first is called Storm Thief. I love it, because it's so different! It's written like a typical young adult book, but the storyline is so well thought out! It's about these low-life teenagers who live in a city that shouldn't exist, and with it strange storms called probability storms come around. These storms can change anything they come across. For instance, Moa, one of the main characters, was right-handed the night before a storm, and after it passed, she woke up left-handed. And Rail, another main, lost his ability to breathe in the middle of a storm, and so has to wear a respirator everywhere.

The second is Wolf Moon, which is a more adult book about werewolves. It's very well written, and kind of has a Lord of the Rings feel to it, though the writing can be a little dragged-out. But the characters are charming and I love it. mrgreen  

Techno Wielder

Dunsinane Hill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Rereading Clive Barker's Abarat. I almost forgot how much I love those books. The new one is theoretically coming out soon-ish. Freaking finally.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff