Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Cleansing Crystals Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:11 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Believing that crystals are something more than just rocks is the spiritual mechanic. Believing that they can aid me depending on what I program them for is the spiritual mechanic.
Which doesn't address the spiritual mechanism of how the cleansing works.

Then I don't think I understand what you mean by spiritual mechanism. If the basis for doing an act includes spiritual beliefs and ideas then it is spiritual.

Quote:
Quote:

I was addressing the idea of salt being a purifier as established tradition.
However- many of these traditions have sacred acts that make salt "ready" to be used in such a context.

What do you mean by ready to be used?

Quote:
Quote:
But I don't want to use something from a different tradition that I do not follow when I can use something universally potent- and conveniently, something that is attainable in my home.
As mentioned above- it isn't universally potent.

I don't mean to say that all traditions see it as potent. I mean that it is potent even if taken out of a specific tradition's context. Just the same as you don't have to be Wiccan or whatever to believe crystals have healing properties.

Quote:
Quote:

I feel that the earth has natural healing and grounding properties just from being in contact with it.
Why? Can't it also harm and pollute?

I mean- there are parts of the world where the earth is so saturated with "natural radiation" that it can kill someone.

And ask someone who has been in an Earthquake recently how healing it is. Or maybe ask that of someone who's love one's died in a landslide.

The earth is not responsible for humans dumping pollution in it and making it harmful. Earth itself has these grounding properties. I wasn't addressing naturally occurring catastrophes like earthquakes. I don't think water is evil just because tsunamis are made of water.

Quote:
Quote:

The stone came from the earth, so being in its natural element will drain it of whatever meddlesome energies have been added to it since then,
That's a little like suggesting that tossing drinking water into the ocean then drinking ocean water won't make you sick.

I don't see the comparison. Stones are made from the earth. Drinking water is distilled by humans of any parasites that would make humans ill from drinking it. It is obviously not the same as ocean water.

Quote:
Quote:
reverting it back to its pure state.
Hope you check to make sure a cat hasn't buried it's feces there.

I think I would find it by digging there. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm
Sophist

Then I don't think I understand what you mean by spiritual mechanism. If the basis for doing an act includes spiritual beliefs and ideas then it is spiritual.
What is it about adding sodium chloride to di-hydrogen oxide that means "Poof! This crystal is now pure!"?

Quote:
What do you mean by ready to be used?
Applied within the spiritual context.

For example- Communion Wine is blessed.

Quote:

I don't mean to say that all traditions see it as potent. I mean that it is potent even if taken out of a specific tradition's context.
But is it?
Quote:

Just the same as you don't have to be Wiccan or whatever to believe crystals have healing properties.
Ah- but the powers will differ within different cultures.

Here's one of my favorite examples. My husband was relieved when I told him I didn't want a diamond engagement ring. They're poisonous. However- pop-culture says it's what I really want. wink

For those of you who have ever heard Isakane speak- picture one of those romantic "Diamond's... the gift she really wants" commercials, then picture him asking if he can sue them for false advertising.

Quote:

The earth is not responsible for humans dumping pollution in it and making it harmful.
Uranium is a natural element. Slides and Earthquakes kill people and it has nothing to do with what humans do to the earth. It's the nature of the earth itself.
Quote:

Earth itself has these grounding properties. I wasn't addressing naturally occurring catastrophes like earthquakes. I don't think water is evil just because tsunamis are made of water.

That doesn't mean it is good unto itself either.
So why do you think it is good. Who and what led you to the conclusion that the earth had these properties?

Quote:

I don't see the comparison. Stones are made from the earth. Drinking water is distilled by humans of any parasites that would make humans ill from drinking it. It is obviously not the same as ocean water.
However- the earth is not all joy and goodness. You could be bringing back with the stone devastation and illness- right?

Quote:

I think I would find it by digging there. lol
Maybe not. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:48 pm
TeaDidikai
I just had an amusing thought.

I would love to see some neo-pagans bury some uranium to "cleanse" it in their back yards.

You can bet there'd be some people out there in radiation suits doing a bit of "cleansing" of their own once someone found out. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:01 pm
mute_coyote
TeaDidikai
I just had an amusing thought.

I would love to see some neo-pagans bury some uranium to "cleanse" it in their back yards.

You can bet there'd be some people out there in radiation suits doing a bit of "cleansing" of their own once someone found out. wink
I've always said stupidity should be painful. twisted  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:19 pm
TeaDidikai
What is it about adding sodium chloride to di-hydrogen oxide that means "Poof! This crystal is now pure!"?

I've already said that I don't know why salt is considered to be cleansing and that's why I wasn't going to use it. I also remember asking if anyone else knew.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't mean to say that all traditions see it as potent. I mean that it is potent even if taken out of a specific tradition's context.
But is it?

You've said yourself that you don't believe it is universally potent. Why do you want me to convince you otherwise?

Quote:
Ah- but the powers will differ within different cultures.

If that's true then I suppose I'm wondering why the salt is potent according to those cultures that believe it is potent. I still wish someone would provide that information as I've looked already and can't find it.

Quote:
Here's one of my favorite examples. My husband was relieved when I told him I didn't want a diamond engagement ring. They're poisonous. However- pop-culture says it's what I really want. wink

For those of you who have ever heard Isakane speak- picture one of those romantic "Diamond's... the gift she really wants" commercials, then picture him asking if he can sue them for false advertising.

Why do you believe diamonds are poisonous?

Quote:
Uranium is a natural element. Slides and Earthquakes kill people and it has nothing to do with what humans do to the earth. It's the nature of the earth itself.

I was just talking about typical dirt you'd find in the park or someone's backyard, or in the forest, or mountains. I'm not trying to say uranium has cleansing properties. lol

Quote:
So why do you think it is good. Who and what led you to the conclusion that the earth had these properties?

When I spread my blanket in the park and lay on the earth for a while, I end up feeling rejuvenated. I wouldn't feel the same way if I were to lie in bed, or on my driveway.

Quote:
However- the earth is not all joy and goodness. You could be bringing back with the stone devastation and illness- right?

How?

And could you answer my question about reikiing the stone please?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:31 pm
Sophist
I've already said that I don't know why salt is considered to be cleansing and that's why I wasn't going to use it.
But- even when you didn't know- you said you wanted to use it.

You have to understand. Some of my own family do what you were thinking of. They just know why the do it.

And as for what it works- in my family it has to do with specific animistic practices.

Quote:
You've said yourself that you don't believe it is universally potent. Why do you want me to convince you otherwise?
I'm more interested to see if you know why you are making such suggestions.

Quote:
If that's true then I suppose I'm wondering why the salt is potent according to those cultures that believe it is potent. I still wish someone would provide that information as I've looked already and can't find it.
You're not providing enough information for someone to even guess.

Quote:
Why do you believe diamonds are poisonous?
Familial tradition states as much. There's a story to go along with it. Myself- I'm partial to Alexanderite.

Quote:

I was just talking about typical dirt you'd find in the park or someone's backyard, or in the forest, or mountains. I'm not trying to say uranium has cleansing properties. lol
And what I am saying is that heavy metals could be in your soil- things that are deadly. So, why is this "dirt" safe?

Quote:
When I spread my blanket in the park and lay on the earth for a while, I end up feeling rejuvenated. I wouldn't feel the same way if I were to lie in bed, or on my driveway.
What if it is a function of the trees and grass and not the earth?

Negative Ions released by these plants can have amazing affects on human mood.

So much so that I have a lamp to produce them that I light when I'm feeling down.

Quote:
How?
Well, let's start with the chance that the ground itself might be poisoned with pesticides. Or- if you view the ground as something that absorbs "negativity" what if someone had a nasty spat on the ground you wish to plant your stone in- it could still be there- that nasty energy?

Or what if the ground itself doesn't like you?

Then there is all the poisonous stuff that could be in the ground. You wouldn't know it was there unless you had a GC.

Quote:
And could you answer my question about reikiing the stone please?
Sorry missed the question. Repost?  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:44 pm
You're right, there may be pesticides or whathaveyou that I am not aware of. That doesn't really address the properties of the dirt besides what humans have put in it, though.

What I know is through the books and websites that I've read. I don't know everything, but know that what I've described is what many sources say are viable. What is lacking is the explanation why. I've researched what I could, and joined this guild in the hopes that I could continue my education here. Which is why I find it a little disconcerting that instead of being offered information to my questions I am just faced with more questions. I don't mind inquiry, but I wonder if you're trying to help me or are just enjoying finding holes in my logic. You say you practice what you do because of familial tradition. I respect that and am not going to question whether you really "know" what you're doing or whether you accept what your family tells you because it's tradition, or because they're supposedly learned in the subject. If it works for you then I think that in itself is reason why it's viable. I am interested in learning and that's why I'm here.

My question was that if I used reiki on the stone would it cleanse it of any negative energy or would it just be compounded with the energy that is there?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:33 pm
Sophist
You're right, there may be pesticides or whathaveyou that I am not aware of. That doesn't really address the properties of the dirt besides what humans have put in it, though.

Dirt or soil is a complex composition of organic and inorganic materials, which varies dramatically by location. Comparing the clayey soil of Oklahoma to dirt samples from a sandy river bottom or to the rich dark compost under the fallen needles of a pine forest makes the word "dirt" seem woefully inadequate. Every type of dirt has a certain character to it. I grew up around a sagebrush steppe where the soil was pretty sparing in nutrients, and only the very tenacious plants took hold. If I ever wanted to imbue a stone or similar object with a sense of stoic endurance, I might bury it at the base of a twisted old sagebrush for a (probably long) time, but using that spare dirt for cleansing just seems odd to me.

Maybe you could describe the place you intend to bury the stone? Or perhaps location has nothing to do with your view of the practice. Do you believe the earth itself has cleansing properties? If so, did you come to this conclusion via observation, tradition, UPG, or something else? Without knowing anything about your core beliefs or how you arrived at them, it's kind of hard to understand your position.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 am
Sophist

Well, let's look at it the way you look at Holy Water.

If you're afraid of human fingers, why aren't you afraid of man-made poisons?

Quote:
I find it a little disconcerting that instead of being offered information to my questions I am just faced with more questions.

I highly suggest for your own sake that you come to terms with this quickly.

We're speaking of non-falsifiable things. Beyond personal justification and perhaps tradition, there isn't a whole lot to speak of.

Quote:
I don't mind inquiry, but I wonder if you're trying to help me or are just enjoying finding holes in my logic.

I think this may be a false dichotomy.
Quote:

You say you practice what you do because of familial tradition. I respect that and am not going to question whether you really "know" what you're doing or whether you accept what your family tells you because it's tradition, or because they're supposedly learned in the subject.
Perhaps that is a flaw then.

See- any aspect of my practice can be explained. (Won't always be explained because some things I keep to myself.)

Every element of practice, every step has a reason that continues to the next phase of the work.

Quote:
My question was that if I used reiki on the stone would it cleanse it of any negative energy or would it just be compounded with the energy that is there?
For me to answer that, I would need to know tradition and lineage.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:04 pm
Thank you for your post coyote. There is a place near my house called Black Diamond Mines. It used to be mined a lot during the gold rush, but now it's just a park with a lot of hiking trails and sometimes tours into the mines. It's fairly large- there are some trails that take up to a week to complete. The soil that I'm thinking of is some soil that I find there near the trees, the rich dark kind you're talking about. That's what I would use. The reason why is when I'm around that area I feel rejuvenated and grounded. When I touch that particular soil I don't just see how rich it is, I feel it. I guess you can call that observation and UPG. If you're looking for my tradition, I don't have one. I'm still trying to figure that part out. I'm glad Tea has asked me to think about what I believe because I figured out exactly what I was talking about. But if she wants logical answers based on tradition then she won't find any because there are none.

Tea, to answer your question, that's the soil I'd be using, and I think it's a reasonable assumption that the soil there is safe, (though some of it may have cow dung, I might have to be careful!) otherwise it wouldn't be open to the public.

As for the reiki, I forget what lineage but I'll have to e-mail my teacher. Thanks.  

Bastemhet

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Every element of practice, every step has a reason that continues to the next phase of the work.

I think this is probably the most important statement in this thread so far. ^^
I've read through, and felt like posting, since I used to work with stones this way back in my fluffy days, and am wanting to come back to my stones now my true path has been discovered, so to speak.

One thought had occurred to me along these lines as an example, concerning that of hidden faeces in the ground. Now, to me, the possibility of such wouldn't necessarely be a problem. The reason I can see for this is due to faeces being a nourishing and replenishing material for soil (hence gardners using manure in gardening), and thus I would associate the presence of it with fertility and growth. Before anyone says "that mostly only counts for herbivore faeces"... on the flip side, the presence of carnivore faeces would, to me, be a reminder of the ongoing circle of life and death, animals eating animals, and yet still being returned to the earth in their death, even though they were eaten and did not die and return to the ground directly. They still end up there, to add to the soil, which is turn is used by plants, which may be eaten by animals, which may be eaten by other animals, and then pooped out to start the circle again.

Or something along those lines biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:51 am
Sophist
I'm glad Tea has asked me to think about what I believe because I figured out exactly what I was talking about. But if she wants logical answers based on tradition then she won't find any because there are none.
I think it's a bit silly to project what you think I am looking for.
Quote:

Tea, to answer your question, that's the soil I'd be using, and I think it's a reasonable assumption that the soil there is safe, (though some of it may have cow dung, I might have to be careful!) otherwise it wouldn't be open to the public.
You'd be amazed. Many mining techniques are very harmful.

Quote:
As for the reiki, I forget what lineage but I'll have to e-mail my teacher. Thanks.
What about the name of the Tradition?  

TeaDidikai

Sivirs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:01 am
Sophist
But if she wants logical answers based on tradition then she won't find any because there are none.

I dunno. Tea does go a little Socratic on us now and then, but I think she's got a point in regards to logical reasons for traditions, at bare minimum. The further back you look into traditions, the more context you find for the culture they came out of, the more every little thing they do makes sense.

There's even been at least one book written on exploring the very common-sense origins of many of the silliest-seeming traditions in (western) history. I'm hoping some kind soul who loves me will buy it for me for Christmas, in fact.

Anyway, back to the point. If you know what something *really* means and *why*, it has that much more power for you. If you're just going through the motions because you've heard that that'll do it but you're not sure how or why, not so much. I don't think Tea's criticizing your methods here at all, 'cause she did flat out say she's got people who use salt too, she's just making sure that you don't transition from "listen to whatever fluffy authors say" to "listen to whatever the non-fluffy authors say, because they're non-fluffy."

That or she's just poking you with a stick, in which case you probably might wanna reassure her that you would NOT taste good with tea flavoring. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:51 am
I can find relatively little information with source regarding diamond poisoning. There's the mention of Catherine de Medici, of course, and how diamonds will 'perspire' if poison is near, and what not, but nothing concrete with reliable back up.

However, Nanomedicine, Volume IIA: Biocompatibility Chapter 15.1 Mechanical Damage from Ingested Diamond (a publication by Senior Research Fellow Robert A. Freitas Jr. at the Institute for Molecular Manufacturing, book available through Amazon.com or Landes Bioscience for a lot of money) informs me that a diamond can be swallowed whole with no ill effects, as it will pass the digestive system without harming the body.

Grit (ground diamond powder), however, tends to be bad for the body, as pounding a diamond into tiny little bits tends to leave you with really sharp little bits of diamond. Most other gems tend to leave you with far smoother little bits of 'insert gem here'.

Tiny little bits of diamond powder are irritants like whoah, and can really cut you up from the inside. (Getting them inbetween the skin on your hands is no fun either.)

The same goes for inhaled diamond powder as described in chapter 15.1.2 Mechanical Damage from Inhaled Diamond, as the really tiny pieces can get past the body's defense mechanisms and then do a number on your lungs, for instance.

I'm not sure one can call it 'poisonous', considering the nature of the injury one would be receiving, but it's certainly not healthy either.

TeaDidikai
Sophist
You'd be amazed. Many mining techniques are very harmful.

To be honest, I've never heard of a mining technique that wasn't harmful. If there are techniques that aren't harmful, I'd certainly be interested in learning (of) them. 3nodding  

Maze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:48 am
Sivirs
That or she's just poking you with a stick, in which case you probably might wanna reassure her that you would NOT taste good with tea flavoring. whee
ninja ~puts down the Matcha "pepper" shaker~  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces