Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:22 pm
GuardianAngel44
Lyneun
Ah, time travel. I wonder how it works in the Astral realm? Oh that's right, it doesn't exist. wink

It might. I mean, look at it from this point: We believe in an almighty, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God that has unfathomable love for each and every human being, created the universe from nothing, and, even after we screwed up time and time again, gives us another chance at salvation.

Does the Astral Plane seem all that unlikely now?

You forgot about Zombie Jesus! gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:42 pm
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lyneun
Ah, time travel. I wonder how it works in the Astral realm? Oh that's right, it doesn't exist. wink

It might. I mean, look at it from this point: We believe in an almighty, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God that has unfathomable love for each and every human being, created the universe from nothing, and, even after we screwed up time and time again, gives us another chance at salvation.

You forgot about Zombie Jesus! gonk

If he was a zombie, then he would be a zombie blessed with the unlimited powers of God, and would bring about the apocalypse by eating every living being's brains. Basically, we wouldn't be here right now.  

GuardianAngel44

CrystalMind

Familiar Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm
*Glances at the topic line*

Now, I'm not staff, but I find it vaguely disapointing that in the time it took to complete a week of school the Judas discussion disapeared...

*shrugs*

Not really my responsibility to point out, but there it is.

Quote:
On a side note, this is why time-travel is not possible for humans. You can't go to the future because it hasn't happened yet. If you go to the past, then the present (which you exist in) hasn't happened yet. Therefore, you would either cease to exist, or it would be like you never traveled back in time.

...this assumes that time is linear.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:20 pm
CrystalMind
*Glances at the topic line*

Now, I'm not staff, but I find it vaguely disapointing that in the time it took to complete a week of school the Judas discussion disapeared...

*shrugs*

Not really my responsibility to point out, but there it is.

Quote:
On a side note, this is why time-travel is not possible for humans. You can't go to the future because it hasn't happened yet. If you go to the past, then the present (which you exist in) hasn't happened yet. Therefore, you would either cease to exist, or it would be like you never traveled back in time.

...this assumes that time is linear.

Can you think of any other explination that would show that time travel is possible for humans?  

GuardianAngel44

CrystalMind

Familiar Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:06 pm
GuardianAngel44
Can you think of any other explination that would show that time travel is possible for humans?

No, actually. It was just another thing I felt like pointing out. My English teacher has the idea that everything that will happen, has already happened... *shrugs* I don't really get how his mind works. I'm reading a book called The Elegant Universe right now, though. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Going back to my original point, though, this is extremely off-topic...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:43 pm
Quote:

Are you implying I don't believe in it? I've been there. neutral The time you spend there...literally does not connect to the physical world.  

Lyneun

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:54 am
Lyneun
Quote:

Are you implying I don't believe in it? I've been there. neutral The time you spend there...literally does not connect to the physical world.

I know. I just wanted to point it out.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:34 am
Guys .... topic ....  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar

Sorry, then. The child is put in after the juvie hall cousin. stare

Why not put them in different "playpens"?

He gave us a choice. Without a choice to love him or sin, the love wouldn't mean all that much.

Basically: If he put us in different playpens, there wouldn't be a choice, and therefore our love would mean almost nothing.

Who cares? Is us loving Him worth burning a vast majority of the world's population for the rest of eternity? Is He really that selfish?

Firstly, if he created the universe, shouldn't it be fair that he creates the rules?

Not at all.

Adults make babies. Does that give them the right to do anything to their baby that they want? Does that give them the right to kill a baby?

For someone that's anti-abortion, I find this to be a somewhat contradictory stance.

First, sorry this is late. I didn't see it.
No, it gives them the right to make rules that the baby should follow. God doesn't kill us. We kill us by not following the rules that he, as the creator of the universe, set up.

Quote:
Quote:
Next, he's not forcing us to go to hell. There is always a choice.

How is that not blackmail?

Blackmail implies a malicious intent.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I personally would be ok with not having a choice. It's not like we have one anyway (We already discussed determinism. You conceded, if I remember correctly).

I didn't concede. At least not to the point you're making. The future hasn't happened yet. Therefore, it cannot be pre-determined.

Prove it.

Anyway, predeterminism follows total logic. Technically a material world will follow a complete plan, and there is no free will.

Again, you always want proof. I can play your game just as easily.
Prove that it doesn't.

Anyway, a couple hundred years ago, the theory that the earth was flat followed total logic.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 pm
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44

He gave us a choice. Without a choice to love him or sin, the love wouldn't mean all that much.

Basically: If he put us in different playpens, there wouldn't be a choice, and therefore our love would mean almost nothing.

Who cares? Is us loving Him worth burning a vast majority of the world's population for the rest of eternity? Is He really that selfish?

Firstly, if he created the universe, shouldn't it be fair that he creates the rules?

Not at all.

Adults make babies. Does that give them the right to do anything to their baby that they want? Does that give them the right to kill a baby?

For someone that's anti-abortion, I find this to be a somewhat contradictory stance.

No, it gives them the right to make rules that the baby should follow. God doesn't kill us. We kill us by not following the rules that he, as the creator of the universe, set up.

Would you like to rephrase that? Or can I use this one in another of my "Weekly Funny Internet Quotes" printouts?

"No, officer, I didn't kill him. He killed himself by disobeying me." rolleyes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Worship me or you will burn for the rest of eternity."

Sounds malicious to me. confused

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I personally would be ok with not having a choice. It's not like we have one anyway (We already discussed determinism. You conceded, if I remember correctly).

I didn't concede. At least not to the point you're making. The future hasn't happened yet. Therefore, it cannot be pre-determined.

Prove it.

Anyway, predeterminism follows total logic. Technically a material world will follow a complete plan, and there is no free will.

Prove that it doesn't.

No, your argument is not logical. The burden of proof is on you because you made the claim. I could say the same of a silver spoon right outside Jupiter, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or that I have the ability to shoot lasers of my eyes. You might say that all of these are false, and if your "logic" holds true I could say "disprove it" and all of those things would automatically be true.

Quote:
Anyway, a couple hundred years ago, the theory that the earth was flat followed total logic.

No, it didn't. That's why it's not believed anymore. If it followed total logic, then I would believe it.  

Lethkhar

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:40 pm
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar

Not at all.

Would you like to rephrase that? Or can I use this one in another of my "Weekly Funny Internet Quotes" printouts?

rolleyes Let me break it down for you:
-God is the Creator of the universe.
-Given that, he is allowed to make the rules.
-He gave us a choice: Love him, follow the rules, and as a reward live in paradise for all eternity; or break the rules and live on earth without God as a punishment.
-We chose the latter.
-Seeing as he is a merciful God, he gave us a second chance through Jesus Christ.
-We now have the choice to love him and spend eternity in heaven, or not and go to hell.
-You might not think it's fair, but does a child think that their parents rules are fair?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about this:
"Accept my gift of my son, whom I gave to die on a cross for all of your sins, and do something as simple as love me, and you will go to heaven."

Sounds like you're pessimistic to me. rolleyes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prove it.

Prove that it doesn't.

No, your argument is not logical. The burden of proof is on you because you made the claim. I could say the same of a silver spoon right outside Jupiter, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or that I have the ability to shoot lasers of my eyes. You might say that all of these are false, and if your "logic" holds true I could say "disprove it" and all of those things would automatically be true.

Neither is yours.
You can claim that anything is true based on the fact that no one can disprove it.
You can claim that anything is false based on the fact that no one can prove it.

Neither of our arguments are "logical" in your eyes, so it renders those arguments null and void.
By the way, who said something had to be logical for it to be true?
9/11 isn't logical. Worshippers that have twisted a religions meaning to make it like we should kill any others that don't worship their religion on sight have attacked our country in a suicidal attack, crashing a plane into the Twin Towers.
That follows no logic of yours, yet it happened.

Quote:
Quote:

No, it didn't. That's why it's not believed anymore. If it followed total logic, then I would believe it.

That's the only reason you would believe it?
I don't think that you grasp why people believe in religion. It's not cause it's logical; to the contrary, it goes against most rational logic. It's not because it's been proven to us scientifically. It's because we have faith. Whatever religion it is, we all have faith that ours is the right course. I believe with all my heart, soul, and mind that I am on the right path, and nothing anyone could say or do to me would make me think or even admit otherwise.

That's the key to any religion: faith.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 pm
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44

Not at all.

-He gave us a choice: Love him, follow the rules, and as a reward live in paradise for all eternity; or break the rules and live on earth without God as a punishment.
-We chose the latter.

No, I didn't.

But go on. 3nodding

Quote:
-Seeing as he is a merciful God, he gave us a second chance through Jesus Christ.
-We now have the choice to love him and spend eternity in heaven, or not and go to hell.
-You might not think it's fair, but does a child think that their parents rules are fair?

But sometimes parents' rules aren't fair. That's why there are child protection agencies. Is there an organization that monitors God?

And why do we go to Hell now instead of going to a Godless earth?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about this:
"Accept my gift of my son, whom I gave to die on a cross for all of your sins, and do something as simple as love me, and you will go to heaven."

I dunno. I suppose you could make the same point of Pol Pot. As long as you didn't question the government, you lived. In fact, his government would defend you as long as you didn't question it.

I'm sure we can both agree that Pol Pot's system was not a moral system.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prove it.

Prove that it doesn't.

Neither is yours.
You can claim that anything is true based on the fact that no one can disprove it.
You can claim that anything is false based on the fact that no one can prove it.

Neither of our arguments are "logical" in your eyes, so it renders those arguments null and void.

And that, my friend, it why we establish the burden of proof.

You claim there is a God. The burden of proof is on you.
You claim time travel is impossible. The burden of proof is on you.
I claim that determinism is perfectly possible. The burden of proof is on me.

Quote:

Plato was the first, I believe. wink

Quote:
9/11 isn't logical. Worshippers that have twisted a religions meaning to make it like we should kill any others that don't worship their religion on sight have attacked our country in a suicidal attack, crashing a plane into the Twin Towers.

Of course it follows logic.

They believed that America was a threat to their religion. Their religion was the most important thing to them because they had been conditioned to think so. Therefore, they decided that they had to help to destroy America. They hijacked planes with guns. They crashed airplanes into the Twin Towers. The Twin Towers fell down.

Name one part of the situation that didn't follow logic.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why else would I believe it?

Quote:
I don't think that you grasp why people believe in religion. It's not cause it's logical; to the contrary, it goes against most rational logic. It's not because it's been proven to us scientifically. It's because we have faith. Whatever religion it is, we all have faith that ours is the right course. I believe with all my heart, soul, and mind that I am on the right path, and nothing anyone could say or do to me would make me think or even admit otherwise.

That's also exactly the reason why the Catholic Church didn't recognise that the earth was round until quite recently. Poor Galileo...

Quote:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" -Douglas Adams  

Lethkhar

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 pm
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar

Not at all.

-We chose the latter.

No, I didn't.

But go on. 3nodding

You would have done it too.

Quote:
Quote:

But sometimes parents' rules aren't fair. That's why there are child protection agencies. Is there an organization that monitors God?

Note the word "sometimes".

God gave us a chance. We screwed it up. He's now giving us a second chance. Don't screw up this time.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about this:

I dunno. I suppose you could make the same point of Pol Pot. As long as you didn't question the government, you lived. In fact, his government would defend you as long as you didn't question it.

Yeah, but how does that relate?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prove it.

Prove that it doesn't.

Neither is yours.

The burden of proof isn't on me. I can't prove God. He's beyond proof. I accept that. Why can't you?

Quote:
Quote:

And he was an atheist. A very flawed way of life, atheism.

Quote:
Quote:

They believed that America was a threat to their religion. Their religion was the most important thing to them because they had been conditioned to think so. Therefore, they decided that they had to help to destroy America. They hijacked planes with guns. They crashed airplanes into the Twin Towers. The Twin Towers fell down.

I would think that their religion didn't follow YOUR logic.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Faith.

Quote:
Quote:

That's also exactly the reason why the Catholic Church didn't recognise that the earth was round until quite recently. Poor Galileo...

They went about expressing their faith in the wrong way. Other examples of this include the radical Muslims and the "fire and brimstone" preachers.

Quote:
Quote:

"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" -Douglas Adams

I don't understand. question  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
GuardianAngel44

-We chose the latter.

No, I didn't.

But go on. 3nodding

You would have done it too.

Ipso facto: I didn't.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Note the word "sometimes".

Noted.

What's the point?

Quote:
God gave us a chance. We screwed it up. He's now giving us a second chance. Don't screw up this time.

You didn't answer the question.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about this:

Yeah, but how does that relate?

Pol Pot wouldn't kill you as long as you supported him and commended his system.

God doesn't burn you as long as you worship Him and commend His system.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prove that it doesn't.

Neither is yours.

The burden of proof isn't on me. I can't prove God. He's beyond proof.

Then you have no means to support your claim. If God is "beyond proof", the possiblity of His existence is rendered negligible.

Quote:
I accept that. Why can't you?

Oh, I can accept it. In fact I have; that's why I'm a weak atheist.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And he was an atheist.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

I'm pretty sure you just made that up. It's much more likely that Plato worshipped Greek deities, just like everyone else in his culture.

Quote:
A very flawed way of life, atheism.

Atheism is not a way of life. It is a single belief (Or lack thereof, I suppose).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would think that their religion didn't follow YOUR logic.

No, it didn't. And look at what not following logic did. stare

That's a figment of human psyche. It's a belief. When I speak of logic always being right, I only speak of material happenings and reasonings for occurences. For instance, the reason why they believed in that religion followed complete logic.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Faith.

Why?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They went about expressing their faith in the wrong way. Other examples of this include the radical Muslims and the "fire and brimstone" preachers.

It happens all too often, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand. question

Think about it; I'm not about to spell it out for you.  

Lethkhar

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:57 am
Wow. This sure is a confusing topic. Let me just place a small opinion that will more than likely be pushed aside, seeing as I'm not very knowledgeable just yet. xd As for Judas... Well, he played a key parts in Jesus's death. So, I believe he might have went to Heaven. However, he was a traitor. So, he might have went to Hell. We don't know. We will only know when we ask Him.

As for the whole, "parents" issue... well, we are lower than our parents. I as a fifteen year old, know that all too well. We cannot say anything against them. They will give us punishment. And put yourself in God's shoes! We have sin inside of us, right? So, God doesn't want to us to fall into that. As a result, He has to do something extreme so we don't mess up. He loves us, and it hurts Him to do that... but I think I would probably do the same.

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff