Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Raptures’ sketch book Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:22 am

Okay, so I wet ahead and started something new. I know I shouldn’t but I have serious artistic diarrhea (SP?) Umm… I really like the way she is coming out so far, I love the soft pastel colors. And yes, yes I did hid the hands… again XD
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 am

You're overworking the image, by the way. You'd be better off moving on or drawing it over from scratch, incorporating the things you've learned.

I saw the new one on PP. I only glanced, so I can't say much, but I think that she's too soft and pastel. So much that it's a chore to look at. There's no variety in value to make it interesting. My eyes don't know where to start looking and that lack of focal points and lack of a path hurt the image quite a bit to me.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Errol McGillivray
You're overworking the image, by the way. You'd be better off moving on or drawing it over from scratch, incorporating the things you've learned.

I saw the new one on PP. I only glanced, so I can't say much, but I think that she's too soft and pastel. So much that it's a chore to look at. There's no variety in value to make it interesting. My eyes don't know where to start looking and that lack of focal points and lack of a path hurt the image quite a bit to me.
I agree, I have reword it quite a bit, compared to what it was there is a HUGE difference. I think, instead of redrawing it, I’m going to scrap it and move on. I’ve already took what I have been told and started a new sketch I will be putting up in a while.
I see what you mean about the her coloring and the lack of verity in it. I know it’s no excuse but, coloring really isn’t my forty. Because I’m still working on this however, I’ll try adding a bit more spunk to here coloring. As for the lack of flow/path I think the background I have planned for that will help a lot.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Okay, so I scraped my previous attempt at male anatomy and gave it another shot. I’m a lot happier with this one than I as the last. Also, I went ahead and posted up a Secret Santa project I’m working on.

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 pm

an attempt at a dynamic pose.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 am

Hate to break it to you, but that's no more dynamic than the last pose you posted here. The legs are moving, but his torso isn't. What is he supposed to be doing? Maybe I can suggest some things to make him more focused. Making the action clear helps make things dynamic. Also, you use the same shot every time. Anyway, let me know what you're going for and we'll see what we can do.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Errol McGillivray
Hate to break it to you, but that's no more dynamic than the last pose you posted here. The legs are moving, but his torso isn't. What is he supposed to be doing? Maybe I can suggest some things to make him more focused. Making the action clear helps make things dynamic. Also, you use the same shot every time. Anyway, let me know what you're going for and we'll see what we can do.

Crap! Fail again >
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:26 pm

May I suggest that you loosen up a little? I mean, every time I see your work it's all clean and neat even at the sketch stage. Not that it is wrong, but maybe getting messier and more energetic can bring out something new.

Doesn't hurt to try, and if you don't like it, don't do it again. smile

Mogtoats

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:04 pm

The Martian
May I suggest that you loosen up a little? I mean, every time I see your work it's all clean and neat even at the sketch stage. Not that it is wrong, but maybe getting messier and more energetic can bring out something new.

It’s a good idea but, I’m afraid I just can’t do it. Even when I sketch on paper they come out, as you say, “clean and neat” I don’t know why, just how I draw I guess.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:35 am

Mhm, that's very interesting... Usually people are able to do both. Well, at least it's convenient, you don't have to clean up like hell!

Mogtoats

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 pm

enticing rapture
The Martian

It’s a good idea but, I’m afraid I just can’t do it. Even when I sketch on paper they come out, as you say, “clean and neat” I don’t know why, just how I draw I guess.
You can and you have been doing it for years. Don't care about what it looks like. Just care about getting it on paper based on the flow. That's how we all drew as children because we weren't out to impress.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:23 pm

enticing rapture
Errol McGillivray

Crap! Fail again >
Well, you won't grow unless you try other ways. Sure, you'll ******** up the first couple of times, but you'll get it and then it's yaytime.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:45 am

Errol McGillivray
enticing rapture
The Martian

You can and you have been doing it for years. Don't care about what it looks like. Just care about getting it on paper based on the flow. That's how we all drew as children because we weren't out to impress.

I don't sketch to impress, I realy don't care weither or not my sketches are clean or so jumbbled you can't make out things, clean sketching is just what I do. Next time I sketch I'll try to leave myself a bit more freedom for my pen to just wonder, even if I do find this tequnic... Blah. Oh well, don't knock it till you try it right?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Try to move your arm rather than your wrist when you draw your overall shapes and use your wrist for detailing. You'll find that you'll have better control (with a little practice) and much better flow than using the same motions you use for details.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 am

Back again! Now that my real life has calmed down a bit I can get back to Gaia… for how long though… I’m unsure. Anyways, thanks for the tip Errol, your right, I do tend to only use my write when drawing. Next time, witch should be soon, I’ll try to get the over all flow by moving my arm more and making things a bit messier. I don’t know how well that will work out… but it’s worth a try.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff