Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Different Bible Translations Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favorite Bible translation?
  New International Version
  New Living Translation
  New King James Version
  New American Standard Version
  Other
View Results

Kinky Zombie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:56 pm
I have a KJV, which is a little weird to read. I read it every day, and the more I read the more I start to understand more. It's like god is opening my eyes. I like it, it's helped me with my vocabulary also. It's a two in one package. xP  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:26 pm
iCrack Whore
I have a KJV, which is a little weird to read. I read it every day, and the more I read the more I start to understand more. It's like god is opening my eyes. I like it, it's helped me with my vocabulary also. It's a two in one package. xP

I really can relate to the whole , "God opening my eyes" thing. I didn't really start growing in my relationship with God until I started reading my Bible, (in this case, a bible that isn't KJV, but no matter) and its like everyday I find a verse in the Bible that just pops out and punches me in face and is like "wow! I never knew this about my faith before!" or "Hey this realtes to what I was dealing with today!"
Reading the Bible really is mind-opening.  

dragongirl42391

Aeirus

Ruthless Cutesmasher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 pm
I read the NIV Bible! It's very easy to understand. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 am
I have a copy of most of the English translations of the Bible (got a bit of a Bible-collecting fetish) but I tend to read the KJV. I simply like the beauty of its language - its been called the only work of art created by a committee smile

When I was studying, we had to use the RSV or NRSV, but seeing as those aren't so popular anymore, I tend to use the ESV which is, I think, an excellent version.

I sometimes read the Message when my brain is tired. But its not really a translation, and some of the things it says are a bit weird. Still its helpful for getting a new perspective. Though really I'd rather read a commentary for that.  

Christophilos

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:23 am
My favorite be college usage is NIV... actually TNIV (Today's international version... it is a more liberal Bible). There are many many translations that you may have missed just check out biblegatway.com to see all the translations. Different translations mean different interpretations... which is always good. It gives you a chance to find what you believe in. Para-phrased Bibles are great for getting the main idea of a verse, but unfortunatley it is not actually the verse and you are forced to accept the interpretations of the translator, whoever they may be. So basically if you agree with Mr. Patterson the Message is great. Other wise you may want another version.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:01 pm
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
I've read King James Version and New International Version.

Cool, do you have a preference?

I prefer the New International Version by far.

Lol, I TOTALLY know what you mean. I used to have the NKJV when I was little and I had NO idea what it was talking about. Then I read the NIV and NLT version the whole thing just completely opened up to me.

I dunno if any of you guys have read The Message translation but sometimes it totally cracks me up. This is a direct verse from the Message and I quote "Mark 5:37
He permitted no one to go in with him except Peter, James, and John. They entered the leader's house and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and neighbors bringing in casseroles. "

CASSEROLES! lol lol lol The Message tries to make the whole Bible culture friendly somehow. But, sometimes its just plain out there.

The Message Bible, along with a few other translations that are popular, especially in youth groups today are... not the best translations to be using. They warned us against them pretty heavily in my Biblical Literature class because they deviate from the original text so much. That class isn't even a religious class- it's just about better understanding the Bible. You don't have to believe in God or anything in it- that's not the objective.

I have a NIV and NRSV texts that I use, as well as an old plain English contemporary Bible my best friend gave me in the 7th grade because I couldn't understand the KJ version she gave me xD I have a few other random free ones I'v aquired from visiting churches and stuff too.

I do like my NRSV though, because it has lots of notes and the Apocrapha. Of course, it's also a study Bible for my bib lit class razz

freelance lover
Crew

spingus

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 am
this topic is super old, but i figured i'd post anyway (x

i like the esv version the best. i grew up with niv, but i remember the day i took the esv bible from my church's pew, read through it, and realized i'd found my bible (=

i also like the message: remix. i've never read the original, but i'm assuming not much has changed from one version to the next. part of me just likes the aesthetic value of the verses when comparing them to other translations; i know the author is both a pastor and a poet. (=

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:03 am
I am not a KJVer only, but I do love my KJV Bible. I have some issues with the NIV, and some of the paraphrase Bibles, so I tend to stay away from them.  

Atreadia Allaani

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces