Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A little help? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 pm
mute_coyote

I think a lot of people struggle with YHVH's personality change from the Old Testament to the New Testament, but this "empathy explanation" makes it seem a lot more sensible. A lot of your explanation seems to derive from Kabalistic concepts. Where's the best place to find this information? While I'm on the subject, is there any particular translation of the Bible you prefer? I've heard that some are more accurate than others. If I'm going to take the time to read the whole thing (a personal goal of mine), I'd like it to be as close to the original as possible.
I'd make a wonderful heretical Christian if my gods weren't so hell bent on keeping me. sweatdrop

Kabalism, well, the Sepher Yetzeria is a good place to start.

As for the Bible, I have a few favorites.

I recommend getting a few books if you want to work through the Bible cover to cover.

1) The Interlinear- the neat thing about this book is that it gives you the Hebrew and Greek then directly below it, a modern verbatim translation without changing the syntax, and the on the opposite page, the corrected syntax.

2) Young's Literal Translation is useful. It does a similar thing, but skips the Greek and Hebrew.

3) Strong's Concordance is useful for being able to track the same words as used in different contexts within scripture.

4) Gesenius's Lexicon- great book that applies cultural understandings to the words used rather than mere modern equivalents.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm
TeaDidikai
mute_coyote

I think a lot of people struggle with YHVH's personality change from the Old Testament to the New Testament, but this "empathy explanation" makes it seem a lot more sensible. A lot of your explanation seems to derive from Kabalistic concepts. Where's the best place to find this information? While I'm on the subject, is there any particular translation of the Bible you prefer? I've heard that some are more accurate than others. If I'm going to take the time to read the whole thing (a personal goal of mine), I'd like it to be as close to the original as possible.
I'd make a wonderful heretical Christian if my gods weren't so hell bent on keeping me. sweatdrop

Kabalism, well, the Sepher Yetzeria is a good place to start.

As for the Bible, I have a few favorites.

I recommend getting a few books if you want to work through the Bible cover to cover.

1) The Interlinear- the neat thing about this book is that it gives you the Hebrew and Greek then directly below it, a modern verbatim translation without changing the syntax, and the on the opposite page, the corrected syntax.

2) Young's Literal Translation is useful. It does a similar thing, but skips the Greek and Hebrew.

3) Strong's Concordance is useful for being able to track the same words as used in different contexts within scripture.

4) Gesenius's Lexicon- great book that applies cultural understandings to the words used rather than mere modern equivalents.

Well, I know where my money is going this month. XD For the sake of clarity, does the phrase "heretical Christianity" refer to a specific denomination that incorporates Kabalistic teachings or simply to any Christian whose views differ from those of established denominations?  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:15 pm
mute_coyote

Well, I know where my money is going this month. XD For the sake of clarity, does the phrase "heretical Christianity" refer to a specific denomination that incorporates Kabalistic teachings or simply to any Christian whose views differ from those of established denominations?
I was talking about generic heresy.

If I had been born to Christendom, I likely would have been a Cather. (Like in so many other ways- I'm a couple hundred years late to the party)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:36 pm
And now I'm compelled to ask what "Cather" is. sweatdrop I think today is just one of those days where the world decides to remind me how little I actually know.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:39 pm
mute_coyote
And now I'm compelled to ask what "Cather" is. sweatdrop I think today is just one of those days where the world decides to remind me how little I actually know.
Heretical pesudo-Gnostic sect that was killed by the RCC in France hundreds of years ago.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 pm
I had not previously heard about the Cathers. Should look them up, that sounds great. I'd almost make a pretty good heretical Christian myself. Almost.  

TatteredAngel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:41 am
TatteredAngel
I had not previously heard about the Cathers. Should look them up, that sounds great. I'd almost make a pretty good heretical Christian myself. Almost.
Any heretical Christian sect that I could belong to would also have to be Monolateralistic in nature. Those are almost impossible to find.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff