Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
why emo is discriminated (a must read) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atlanfer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:36 am
Rellik San

HEY HEY!

Before this turns into a flame war, I'm giving you two a time out... now go sit in opposite corners.

my bad and thanks btw 3nodding , I rather keep this thread informative. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 am
I would say The Used and My Chemical Romance are very much part of emo. Just a much later part. The Used have been around since I don't know. Late 90s early 2000s? That's the kind of music that was influenced by what came before which some might classify as pre-emo or the real emo. It's like a comparison of Velvet Underground and The Ramones. They played different music, but they had an overarching goal in their music. They were trying to capture an attitude just as emo now is all about catching an attitude. My Chemical Romance is also very much part of emo. They hit later than The Used (played one of their first 20 shows in my area bitches). My Chemical Romance has its influence from The Used and they try capturing a different attitude or emotion if you will. That's really what emo is. It is the people not the bands who are discriminated. The type of people who listen to the music are just weird, and need to grow up a little before they can truly understand the kind of subculture they are getting into. Because they don't understand, they tend to overdo activities which they believe to be emo. This is where the media gets involved and the word of mouth spreads the word about emo being a "p***y f*****t" or "stabby mcstabb stabb" thing.

edit: Of course you can also classify these bands as "post-hardcore" or whatever. But if you think about it. Weren't most of the pre-emo, emo bands all post-hardcore?

Emo isn't about how much you can inflict damage upon yourself to show your sorrow as many many people will have you believe. It's about an attitude where the music and lyrics will call up certain emotions. These feelings aren't going to necessarily go and make someone cut oneself.

Anyway feel free to disagree with me. I won't get offended.  

tetsoysauce

Atlanfer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 pm
tetsoysauce
I would say The Used and My Chemical Romance are very much part of emo. Just a much later part. The Used have been around since I don't know. Late 90s early 2000s? That's the kind of music that was influenced by what came before which some might classify as pre-emo or the real emo. It's like a comparison of Velvet Underground and The Ramones. They played different music, but they had an overarching goal in their music. They were trying to capture an attitude just as emo now is all about catching an attitude. My Chemical Romance is also very much part of emo. They hit later than The Used (played one of their first 20 shows in my area bitches). My Chemical Romance has its influence from The Used and they try capturing a different attitude or emotion if you will. That's really what emo is. It is the people not the bands who are discriminated. The type of people who listen to the music are just weird, and need to grow up a little before they can truly understand the kind of subculture they are getting into. Because they don't understand, they tend to overdo activities which they believe to be emo. This is where the media gets involved and the word of mouth spreads the word about emo being a "p***y f*****t" or "stabby mcstabb stabb" thing.

edit: Of course you can also classify these bands as "post-hardcore" or whatever. But if you think about it. Weren't most of the pre-emo, emo bands all post-hardcore?

Emo isn't about how much you can inflict damage upon yourself to show your sorrow as many many people will have you believe. It's about an attitude where the music and lyrics will call up certain emotions. These feelings aren't going to necessarily go and make someone cut oneself.

Anyway feel free to disagree with me. I won't get offended.

nice thought though! 3nodding
the Used released their first EP in 2001, but they officially started in 1994 by the name Strange itch (bert was not yet a member that time.). Their influence was more of Glassjaw (a post-hardcore band).

My chemical romance, however was formed in 2001. their influence was Queen and the misfits.

Let me put it this way. First, Punk was made in the late 70's, then hardcore came as a sub-genre of punk also in the 70's, Then emo started in 80's with the band rites of spring which is the sub-genre of hardcore.
If punk and hardcore was made with political messages. Emo was more on personal relationships.

then in 90's, post-hardcore was created by glassjaw which links the post-hardcore bands of today. The Used was never emo at all since they are more related to post-hardcore and my chemical romance was never related at all. You see, Like Goth which also came from post-punk, you still cant label a goth band "punk". Like Grunge came from metal, you cant call a grunge band "metal". It's like saying, you cant call homosapiens Homohabilis. Once it evolves, it will be named differently.

Moreover, real emo bands are DIY, meaning it's not supposed to be signed in a record deal, but if it is signed, the record label whould be indipendent. So is punk rock. That's whay a lot of punk doesnt consider greenday a punk-rock band because they are mainstream, punk also is under the DIY ethics so that means they must be independent.

I hope I did make it clear.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:59 pm
moss icon.  

drkmtn

Atlanfer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:52 pm
LeDesordreCestMoi
moss icon.

yeah! moss icon is a good band too, I personally like the song guatemala. Have you tried indian summer?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:12 am
The current mainstream demographic of 'emo' is discriminated against for the sole reason that a lot of 'emo' kids shouldn't be acting like their life is that hard, regardless of whatever real 'emotional hardcore' is.

Also, a lot of the kids on this website that like to call themselves 'emo' are quite, and annoyingly, arrogant.

Example:

Quote:
and if u think its s**t then dont listen to it or u can f**k off and die

It's a sign of complete and total immaturity and lack of the ability to grow up and deal with responsibility.

Most 'emo' kids who say that their parents are being oppressive are most likely just being told to take out the trash or clean the dishes or do better in school or get a job or something.

But they're still kids, and they're still in the kid mindset, and they don't want to do that yet.

So they say '******** my parents, I'm old enough to think for myself' when they're blind to the fact that their parents were kind enough to keep them alive for 15-17 years of their life.

Addressing the 'social outcaste' emos: These kids just need to get over it.

Now, with those two sides of the demographic squared away, I do understand that there is a lot more to it than that.

And yes, I do understand that some people are, legitimately, depressed. Them, I can forgive.

But all I really see are people going around saying 'My life is so hard and the music I listen to is awesome and if you don't like it then shut up and jump off a cliff' so... I really have no other choice but to hate most of them.  

xLordCJx

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:00 am
xLordCJx
The current mainstream demographic of 'emo' is discriminated against for the sole reason that a lot of 'emo' kids shouldn't be acting like their life is that hard, regardless of whatever real 'emotional hardcore' is.

Also, a lot of the kids on this website that like to call themselves 'emo' are quite, and annoyingly, arrogant.

Example:

Quote:

It's a sign of complete and total immaturity and lack of the ability to grow up and deal with responsibility.

Most 'emo' kids who say that their parents are being oppressive are most likely just being told to take out the trash or clean the dishes or do better in school or get a job or something.

But they're still kids, and they're still in the kid mindset, and they don't want to do that yet.

So they say '******** my parents, I'm old enough to think for myself' when they're blind to the fact that their parents were kind enough to keep them alive for 15-17 years of their life.

Now, with those two sides of the demographic squared away, I do understand that there is a lot more to it than that.

And yes, I do understand that some people are, legitimately, depressed. Them, I can forgive.

But all I really see are people going around saying 'My life is so hard and the music I listen to is awesome and if you don't like it then shut up and jump off a cliff' so... I really have no other choice but to hate most of them.

Its a vicious cycle non?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:05 am
Rellik San
xLordCJx

Example:

Quote:

Its a vicious cycle non?

Indeed it is.  

xLordCJx

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:58 am
Haha dongs of liberty.
I L-O-L-ed  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:39 pm
Atlanfer
LeDesordreCestMoi
moss icon.

yeah! moss icon is a good band too, I personally like the song guatemala. Have you tried indian summer?

Yeah
What kind emo fan havn't heard of Indian Summer.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Moss Icon, they get boring sfter 2-3 songs.

Orchid and the Saddest Landscape gotta be my favs. I'm more into the last vague.  

drkmtn

Gai4_hacks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:24 pm
All I can say is that "emo" is a trend and a music genre, not a lifestyle.
I'm into the "look" and somewhat similar music.
I don't care about being labeled an "emo" or a "goth" or whatever because of how I look or what I listen to.
I know what "emo" is. That's all I need. :]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 pm
xLordCJx

Example:

Quote:

I know your talking about the poser emos. let us call them the "mall emo kids" because they are certainly a mainstream influence. those kids listen to what they think emo is. Like I said in my early posts. emo is not just depression, sadness, and all the things the general public has assumed.

let me put it this way, the media bastardized the name "emo" to label this following bands: Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, Atreyu, My chemical Romance, Panic! At The Disco, et al.

Those bands are no near emo. I'm not saying I hate those bands, their music is good but their fans became way too exagerated. And as a result, emo posers spread like a contagious dse.  

Atlanfer

ObsessionIsSuchAnUglyWord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:02 pm
I undertsand what "emo" is, and I am "emo". But what I don't understand is why people say all emo kids cut themsevles. I was watching T.V. one day, and I can't remember what it was, but a show had 3 preppy girls on it. And two of them ripped their hair out, and one cut. So I have this full on agruement on why not all emos cut themsevles, and people don't understand how emos don't cut themselves. Now, I also understand that alot of emo kids are whiney about their sucky lives. But they there emo kids like me, that only occasionally cut, and aren't whiney. Emo is just a state of mind, not a life style, or a click, it's just a state of depression.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:28 pm
HalloweenXXXXXX
I undertsand what "emo" is, and I am "emo". But what I don't understand is why people say all emo kids cut themsevles. I was watching T.V. one day, and I can't remember what it was, but a show had 3 preppy girls on it. And two of them ripped their hair out, and one cut. So I have this full on agruement on why not all emos cut themsevles, and people don't understand how emos don't cut themselves. Now, I also understand that alot of emo kids are whiney about their sucky lives. But they there emo kids like me, that only occasionally cut, and aren't whiney. Emo is just a state of mind, not a life style, or a click, it's just a state of depression.

Emo is a genre of music. Nothing else.
Its not a "state" of depression. I dont see it anywhere in psychology books nor did I learn about it in the few classes I took.  

Eri Luvs You
Crew

The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games