Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot cards!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:04 am
Dristinia
It is rather strange that myself along with other's that you've known are forming a pattern around this deck. Weird.

A very good friend once taught me something I cherish to this day:
"Notice what you notice, and let it go".

I personally find it weird. However, it makes a certain amount of sense to me.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:31 pm
I don't know whether or not I can read tarot... I haven't really read anything about them and don't really know the meanings of any of the cards but when I've done a "reading" (if you could call it that) I seem to be correct... I'm not sure V_V  

Chocolahime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm
Chocolahime
I don't know whether or not I can read tarot... I haven't really read anything about them and don't really know the meanings of any of the cards but when I've done a "reading" (if you could call it that) I seem to be correct... I'm not sure V_V
What deck did you read?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm
TeaDidikai
That you've outgrown them.

Your deck itself relies heavily on mythologies of a very specific closed culture.

The other four people I know who used and loved that deck for years (in one case, a decade!) couldn't use it after they stopped working with Thought-form shaped deities and started working with actual gods.
That's very interesting. I couldn't find which deck Dristinia has, but I started out with the Sacred Circle deck which is very much in the Celtic theme and it's never really done it for me. I look at the cards and read the meanings in the book but the symbolism and the meaning, and the cards and the reading, never quite come together and gel properly. The only ones I really get are the court cards, and those have helped me a lot to understand the general point of the court cards at least.

I always thought I didn't get along with it because the cards are too big for my hands and I didn't practice enough--but I've had them for almost eight years now.

The only times they really work well are when I do readings for the solstices, equinoces, and cross-quarter holidays. Which makes a certain sort of sense. So generally I use that deck for those readings and my Robin Wood for regular stuff, and it's a lot better. I don't completely get along with the imagery, but it works.

I really want this one though. whee I'm also totally in love with Shadowscapes, but it won't be finished for awhile. And I'd like to make my own someday.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:08 pm
TheDisreputableDog
That's very interesting. I couldn't find which deck Dristinia has, but I started out with the Sacred Circle deck which is very much in the Celtic theme and it's never really done it for me.
My memory of that deck was that it was more Trad British Witch themed- they had pictures of the Farrars and others in the deck if I recall correctly.
Quote:
I always thought I didn't get along with it because the cards are too big for my hands and I didn't practice enough--but I've had them for almost eight years now.
Could be. The animist in me would want to ask them why they don't play nice though.
Quote:

So generally I use that deck for those readings and my Robin Wood for regular stuff, and it's a lot better. I don't completely get along with the imagery, but it works.
I know how you feel. The first deck I picked up was the IJJ, but the first deck I owned was Robin Wood.
Quote:

I really want this one though. whee
Really?! eek I would have NEVER guessed?!

Quote:
I'm also totally in love with Shadowscapes, but it won't be finished for awhile
Interesting. I like it- but I don't think I would read with it. I currently have a soft spot for the Revelations Tarot.
Quote:

And I'd like to make my own someday.
I have almost all the materials to do mine, and I have thought out the imagery. I'm just stuck artistically. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 pm
TeaDidikai
My memory of that deck was that it was more Trad British Witch themed- they had pictures of the Farrars and others in the deck if I recall correctly.
//Shrug.// I guess you're right.. It says "a celtic pagan journey" on the cover, but the author is "Priestess of the native British Pagan Tradition," and they have an introduction about British Pagan Tradition.
Quote:
Could be. The animist in me would want to ask them why they don't play nice though.
Heh. You must love the Luggage.
Quote:
Really?! eek I would have NEVER guessed?!
mrgreen

Quote:
Interesting. I like it- but I don't think I would read with it. I currently have a soft spot for the Revelations Tarot.
I would probably be more tempted just to sit there and stare at it than actually read it.
Quote:
I have almost all the materials to do mine, and I have thought out the imagery. I'm just stuck artistically. sweatdrop
Will we be seeing them when you have them? 3nodding  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:37 am
TheDisreputableDog
//Shrug.// I guess you're right.. It says "a celtic pagan journey" on the cover, but the author is "Priestess of the native British Pagan Tradition," and they have an introduction about British Pagan Tradition.
Likely a function of marketing.

Quote:
Heh. You must love the Luggage.
I fully admit that if I ever saw it I would crap myself... or pass out from the order of feet.

Quote:
Will we be seeing them when you have them? 3nodding
If it is possible.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:40 pm
How on the mark do people feel their readings are? Does it vary with deck? Time of year? Emotional state? Who you're doing it for? Etc.

I just asked a question about friends telling stories about something that wasn't supposed to be a story, and 3/5 cards had something about misunderstandings or distrust.

Do people throw down supplemental cards on readings they don't quite get, or ask further questions by just drawing cards? Or is the reading the reading and that's that? How much does asking single card clarification questions help?  

TheDisreputableDog

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:12 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Do people throw down supplemental cards on readings they don't quite get, or ask further questions by just drawing cards? Or is the reading the reading and that's that? How much does asking single card clarification questions help?

One of the people who read well for me would. In fact, if something wasn't clear we'd often pull that card out and do another reading around it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 pm
TheDisreputableDog
How on the mark do people feel their readings are? Does it vary with deck? Time of year? Emotional state? Who you're doing it for? Etc.
I don't know. I don't think I have had any complaints about my readings- but I'm not the best one to judge. ninja

I do not do readings if I am not feeling up for it- so I wouldn't know if there is a difference in accuracy.

Quote:
Usually my readings are done first go- but I am familiar with styles that draw more cards. Not sure I have ever needed to.  

TeaDidikai

borderline_mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 am
Is it typical to get clearer readings when doing them for other people versus myself? I've noted that readings for myself tend to be vague at best, and garbled/nonsensical at worst, whereas readings for others are clear as a bell. Is this perhaps a function of the deck I use? What else might account for it?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 am
I would be interested in the deck and mechanics you use.

What spread? What deck? How do you phrase the questions? How good are you at being objective about yourself?  

TeaDidikai

borderline_mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:03 pm
Rider-Waite deck, Celtic Cross spread. The phrasing of questions depends on what I'm asking; sometimes I hold a concept in mind and basically ask for extrapolation, and sometimes I have a specifically worded question to ask. The former tends to work better for me. As for being objective, I'm usually reasonably good at it, but I feel occasionally as though I project my worries a little too much (as a general rule, not just when using Tarot).

When I'm reading for other people, I ask them not to tell me their question until almost the end of the reading. I have had, as stated, much more success in this.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:30 pm
I bought a deck once... I just liked how they looked. ninja  

PirateEire

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 pm
Jesanae, have you tried doing a general reading for yourself and then letting the cards tell you specifics themselves?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff