Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ishrie's mentee thread. (Update 1/22/08.) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold for ye? :{D
  Gold for me! :{D
View Results

Ishrie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:42 pm
Holy crap! How didn't I see that sooner?! gonk

PHOTOSHOP MAGIC TIME.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:24 pm
Ahahah!!!! LMAO.

How did you get such smooth gradients on his face? Did you use smudge?  

Mogtoats

Ishrie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:09 pm
@Yuri: I FIXED IT. Thank you, Photoshop-Gods!

@ Martian: Nope, just blended it the same way I did everything else, except without textured brushes.

AND DONE.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 pm
How do you blend then???

The painting lacks some warm tones. Which makes it look pretty weird.  

Mogtoats

Ishrie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:44 pm
Yeah. I wanted to work completely with cool colors... I did it on purpose, because normally my colors are pretty helter-skelter. Just an experiment.

I lay down my palette, then I go over each color again at half-opacity, then I go over areas that don't need to be sharp again at 25% opacity, then I go over it again at the same opacity with a textured brush.

New drawing. Anatomy check, s'il vous plaƮt? biggrin

old

I absolutely hate the arm on our left, and the hand associated with it. The shoulders seem too stiff to me, but I'm not sure. I think that the chest needs to be closer to the shoulder, because there's a muscle in there that's attached to the pecs, but I'm not too sure and I would like a check on that. Oh, and her feet are at an angle 'cause she's gonna be in heels. I dunno if I overdid it or not, though...

Thanks in advance. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:35 pm
Ishrie

I lay down my palette, then I go over each color again at half-opacity, then I go over areas that don't need to be sharp again at 25% opacity, then I go over it again at the same opacity with a textured brush.

I admire your patience...

And for the sketch: I'd not show the buttocks in the crotch area. And the legs should join in the crotch smoothly, now there's an angle.

That's all I can tell you.. I myself am less than a beginner in human anatomy...  

Mogtoats

Ishrie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:55 pm
Update! I added your suggestion, as well as someone else's. :{D And patience isn't so hard when you wait until you're in the mood to draw, haha. That's why that took me so long... I work way faster when it's for someone else, because then I have to work even when I don't feel like it.

old

It's my Gaia avvi before I got hacked. I'm thinking about using this in a quest thread or shop, if I finally decide to make one... As you can see, I kinda took some liberties with the Gaia items, buuuuuut that's what keeps avatars from being boring.

I absolutely hate her feet. That's why I haven't finished the shoes yet. Can you guys give me some suggestions? I suck at feet so bad.

Thanks in advance!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 am
old

Crits are loved.  

Ishrie

Viceregal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:29 am
My personal opinion is that the pose could use some more energy. A more dynamic posture creates more interest. That is just my opinion and can be disregarded.

As it is the picture has a lot of wonderful details and you're doing a good job with your anatomy. It does look like you're having trouble with the hand on the hip though. Not the easiest pose I'll admit it. The only remedy I can think of would be to find some reference in real life to work from when you're unsure.

Here are some stock images I found in DeviantArt which might help:
Tall Boots 7
Sailor Pose 71
Girly Stance

I hope these have helped!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:34 pm
Thanks for stopping by. ^^

Yeah, poses are something that I need to work with. I'll keep that in mind for future drawings, but I don't think that it's something I can do this far into the drawing.

Thank you for the references! These are really, really helpful-- I'll redraw the hand.

Not a major update, but after I fixed the legs I realized that I forgot to elongate her arms as well, so they were really disproportionate. Fixed it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Ishrie/forsparta.png

I'll post again when I fix the hands.  

Ishrie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:27 pm
Does the hand look better?

old  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:19 pm
definately.  

Viceregal

Ishrie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:30 pm
Cool, thanks again for the help. I'm gonna start coloring.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:15 pm
The details on this are really well done (and there's so much there in the image!). My only critique (and it's probably too late to be saying so, sorry!) is that the way the feet are angled it looks like she's flying. It seems that the front of the feet should be more flat so that it looks like she's standing on solid ground. I'm just baffled at how you patience to draw all those details, let alone ink them. Awesome stuff smile  

Griffonage

Ishrie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:08 pm
Thanks for the critique! Yeah... I had a LOT of trouble with the feet, this is what I settled with. I'll tweak 'em a bit more.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff