Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
9/11 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

His mom was alright though :3
  D: yey!
View Results

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:30 pm
xd I tend not to care what other people think (right kitty?), but thank you ^^ I hope someone else will have something to say o.o; I like discussing stuffs  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 am
churrlo
xd I tend not to care what other people think (right kitty?), but thank you ^^ I hope someone else will have something to say o.o; I like discussing stuffs
: D like a** apples!! whee eek whee  

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:10 am
churrlo
I was in school, in 6th grade, in.... Social studies class. I remember being pissed -_- Because the school felt it was ok to LIE to us and not tell us that anything had happened, yet they seem to think it's ok to tell elementary school students. I didn't even know about the attacks until 7 hours after they had happened, if you can believe it. My cousin Jose was living with me at the time, his uncle and aunt and grandma were supposed to tour the towers that day but they decided not to at the last minute...

And I agree about the coverage. This event gets more coverage than it should, and I think it's ridiculous that they are starting s**t about people "forgetting 9/11" it's complete and udder BULLSHIT. People don't forget events like this... has anyone forgotten the Holocaust, while I realize that was on a much larger proportion, it's the same concept, the answer being no. There have been so many events happen recently that American news hardly even covers, such as the summer tsunami's or the recent earthquakes in Peru. You would think things of this scale would get more than an hour of news coverage, but apparently they're not of importance to either America or just the news stations -_- Anyways that's enough of me ranting...

I got to go to school, but I will elborate on why the average American public has already forgotten.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:22 am
I was actually talking with my friend about this same thing yesterday. The first time I heard that there was an attack, I was in my science class, I want to say it was physical science, and my teacher told us, kinda not like it was a bad thing, so I wasn't too worried about it or anything, although some of the teachers did look sort of worried. Then I went into Gifted Lit, and we kinda talked about it a little bit before the principle came of the the intercom and told us that school was going to be cancelled the next day, and that the day was going to be cut short. Of course, none of us really understood the seriousness of the situation, and we kinda cheered, well my teacher got sort of angry at that. But, they were cutting school short because we like about, 5 miles from a Navy base, and were afraid that would be attacked. Then I went home and kinda watched the news and played videos games. I remember always seeing people everywhere crying when they saw the video, but I was never really all that sad about it.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

FangzV

Toothsome Voter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 am
I put up a 9/11 journal entry yesterday.
I will repeat what I said in it.

People shouldn't be that sad about these deaths. If I died, I don't want you to cry, I want you to continue life happily. Who agrees?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:31 pm
Okay, churrlo ~ since we both like to discuss stuff, I'll post my response. Sorry I'm menstrual and a bit cranky >_o

I think people are confused with the Iraq War and 9/11. I only hear about 9/11 in September; for four years I've heard everyday about the Iraq War. (Mind you, we went to Iraq in March of 2003.) 9/11 was not about the Iraq War. After 9/11, Bush declared war on Afghanistan. My AP US History estimated that the war in Afghanistan lasted roughly ten days. The US failed to track down Bin Laden; instead we went Iraq to find "weapons of massed destruction." Later it turned to "we need to free the people of Iraq and give them democracy!" That's where we're stuck now.

Now, if you're already aware of this knowledge and still think 9/11 gets too much coverage, lets look at some other theories of mine.
- It's September, give it a week and you're not going to hear too much about the World Trade Centers falling.
- This is a major event in American history, the closest comparison I could make would be the attacks on Peral Harbor. Both days will be taught in History Books years from now.

Okay, now I'm going to go on to my controversial statement: 9/11 was forgotten
- I meant this figuratively. Of course the event was not forgotten, you heard it on the news. But, going out yesterday I saw no patriotism from my local area. There were no American flag pins, people dressed in red, white, or blue, or American flags flown at half mast. Sure, we had a moment of silence - but why did no one do anymore to remember those who were lost?
- Secondly, I hardly ever hear about the other two attacks on 9/11. How often do you hear about the Pentagon or the plane that was heading for the White House? Why does a memorial for the Pentagon have to be funded by the families who lost a love one? Why do we not hear about this fund?

American Media Coverage will be one of my last points...
First off, the news is going to cover what's going on in the country before they start covering other nations. If you didn't already know, America has already sent aid to those countries who faced natural disasters. How much can you cover? How much help can you send if we're at war?
As for the Holocaust, it was an act of genocide, the tsunamis and earthquakes were natural disasters. They did not happen in this county. 9/11 was an attack of terrorism. It hit us hard. Our sovereignty was penetrated. We took action.

And I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, I'm trying to just express my opinion. This is how I felt about it and what my mind comprehended.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm
i did a pledge on 9/11 cause the school said so. but! i blew up some fireworks, FOR AMERICA. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm
To those people of other countries who say "you should have seen it coming, there were attacks on your bases in other countries, they tried to do in 1993, et cetera", think about it. Would YOU make that connection? That they would try to hit the homeland next? And if you DID, how could you guess WHEN the next attack could be?
Plus all of us were kind of following the BILL CLINTON scandal...and that was pretty juicy, so if we didn't make the connection, sorry. It's not my fault that my country's media is so screwed up that i never hear about anything that happens outside of the country unless i log onto gaia...
I think we should remember 9/11 for a while the way Ace says, with the flags for a while. It was the first attack on the homeland in 50 years. We should remember that, because we can do things to prevent that sort of things nowadays, well some of it. 9/11 should have sentimental connections, but we should also be motivated on that day to keep our country safe.

Yeah, I don't trust the media.

On a side note, on 9/11 i was in the third grade. I was in my classroom, when suddenly my teacher all ushered the whole grade into a class down the hall. Then they told us about what happened. We spent the remainder of the day waiting for our parents to pick us up at very quiet, sullen play. No laughter echoed around the room. I came home and hugged my mom, and she told me what happened.  

MonsieurSponge

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:38 pm
Ok I would just like to say I'm not confused with 9/11 and the Iraq War, but at the moment that's not what I wish to discuss.

About 9/11 being forgotten... I personally believe that while this event was very important in our history it's not about patriotism, it's about the people who lost their lives that day. Flying flags, wearing patriotic clothing... people shouldn't have to do that kind of thing to honor those who died. While I DO realize this was an attack on our homeland, which would explain the flying of flags, ect., I just don't think that people NOT doing these actions constitutes the belief that people are forgetting, rather I feel like people would rather move on and try to put this event in the past, we have to live in the future.

On the news I heard a very interesting opinion. It was a man talking about how he felt that they should not ring the bell every September 11th, but instead we should honor that day everyday, with our actions. Honestly, instead of remembering the past how about we try to do something to prevent history from repeating? How many of us actually feel safer than we did right after 9/11? While I've noticed new security measures taking place in many places across the US, I really don't feel that the country has done something to prevent something on US soil, and this war in Iraq if anything is just creating more potential threats for our country. What I want to say is... instead of remembering the past with sorrow we should be remembering it by trying to prevent it from happening again, or through our actions.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:14 am
My personal opinion would be to show our patriotism that one day - for instance, I wear the ribbons our veterans give out on Veteran's day. I do agree that throughout the year are actions should be reflected on the events that happened. But personally I still think that simply showing your patriotism for one day is an honor, we're not stuck in the past.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I was in college at the time and i remember seeing it on the tv as our lecturer turned it on, i refused to stay in college and rushed home as we had friends and we were waiting for news on if they were ok or not. I remember sitting on the livingroom floor with my mum and stepdad it utter shock we watched the second tower fall and was appaulled people were jumping but if that was me id have done the same, they knew they had no chance of survival due to the fire so i guess dying of being burnt alive or jumping and having a heart attack which takes a moment on the way down i know what i would choose for sure.

But i do dislike the way the media is keeping it going but at the same time i feel they should due to the fact those on one of the plane fought back and was stabbed due to it. they knew they would not live so refused to let the hijackers get control and i feel they should be remembered for that due to the fact that is true heroism in my eyes. not only that the flight attendents fought back as well trying to stop the hijackers get into the cockpit and many were stabbed and dead before the plane crashed that took guts concidering i think they thought if they could land safe they might have a chance.

but i do feel they should be remembered but not like this as a thing for the media to blow out of proportion those families who lost people do not want to turn on the tv the day there child, mum, dad, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nan, grandad or friend died and see memories and flash backs of people jumping and the planes it just brings them more pain in the long run why make there day for mourning into a day of pure memories as if it was just like yesterday. to me i would hurt so much on the day a loved one die and then to turn on the tv and see it all on there just like i would have the day it happened it would hurt so much more. they need to concider other peoples feelings from that day! and from the future insted of shall we say rubbing there nose in it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:19 am
churrlo
Ok I would just like to say I'm not confused with 9/11 and the Iraq War, but at the moment that's not what I wish to discuss.

About 9/11 being forgotten... I personally believe that while this event was very important in our history it's not about patriotism, it's about the people who lost their lives that day. Flying flags, wearing patriotic clothing... people shouldn't have to do that kind of thing to honor those who died. While I DO realize this was an attack on our homeland, which would explain the flying of flags, ect., I just don't think that people NOT doing these actions constitutes the belief that people are forgetting, rather I feel like people would rather move on and try to put this event in the past, we have to live in the future.

On the news I heard a very interesting opinion. It was a man talking about how he felt that they should not ring the bell every September 11th, but instead we should honor that day everyday, with our actions. Honestly, instead of remembering the past how about we try to do something to prevent history from repeating? How many of us actually feel safer than we did right after 9/11? While I've noticed new security measures taking place in many places across the US, I really don't feel that the country has done something to prevent something on US soil, and this war in Iraq if anything is just creating more potential threats for our country. What I want to say is... instead of remembering the past with sorrow we should be remembering it by trying to prevent it from happening again, or through our actions.

that's basically what i JUST said. xd  

MonsieurSponge

duganmaster1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:02 pm
i was like....5....when 9/11 happened so my mom was like depressed when i got home and i was like "muvva, whys you sad?" i had NO idea what was happenin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 pm
duganmaster1
i was like....5....when 9/11 happened so my mom was like depressed when i got home and i was like "muvva, whys you sad?" i had NO idea what was happenin

Lol, minor.  

Dana Pixie Stix

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 am
I was driving to morning formation when I heard it on the radio. Our base was locked down and I couldn't get home for two days. We were a rapid deployment battalion when I was in the army so we were waiting for the pres to send us orders to go to either Iraq or Afganistan. A couple months later I was headed to Kuwait to invade Iraq.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff