Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Administration Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:19 pm
    That's awesome! Try asking your parents for a reason other than "because". I find that if I start to make my parents feel guilty with stuff like that, it can help. (Not that I'm horribly manipulative or anything... xd Just when I was trying to convince my mom that I can work hard enough to take calculus and stuff.)

So, I might have my braces out by the summer...finally. They decided to take out my wires for about a month so my teeth can be extra clean before they do stuff with the brackets, and it makes playing so much easier! I can't wait to get them off now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 pm
Think about all the pros and cons about this school. Will you be successful? How will it help you later on? Are you going to stay this dedicated to music? Is this just a flight of fancy or do you really want to go there? etc.

When trying to convince your parents, mention both the pros and cons you come up with. Showing them that you're looking at it realistically may help convince them.
Worst comes to worst, figure out which parent is more likely to be on your side and try to convince them first. Then they can help convince the other. Or get your band director to talk to them, (s)he might be able to express adequately how you're capable of this school better than you can.

I hope this helps and I hope they let you go! (:

@Terra: God I hated braces...I had them for four years, and that's why I play percussion instead of trumpet or clarinet. I knew I was getting braces a few months after school started and rather than having to chew up my mouth, I took the easy road. ...lol I guess laziness does have a positive side sometimes. Hope you get them off soon! My orthodontist was like 'oh maybe next week'...for five months. -_-  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Peutaiite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:57 pm
Thanks guys! smile

Well my mom said that she "likes who I am at the school I'm at now" and my friends, (Who I wouldn't mind leaving because they're very anti-band) and how I'd go from being, "A big fish in a small pool to one among the crowd" when I told her that everyone at this school would actually care, she didn't have much of a rebuttle, so maybe I'll use that some more.

That's a really good idea, although I'm not sure which one to convince first. My mom is usually nicer, but I have a strange feeling on this one that my dad might be easier. Maybe not though.

I'll go crazy if I just throw this opportunity away. crying  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:52 pm
Tell her that changing schools won't change who you are, and it'll make you more comfortable with yourself being among people who have the same interests as you.

Don't throw it away, keep trying until you've got nothing left.

---
On a completely different note, I just thought I'd let you guys know what's happened this week:

On Sunday, the world lost one of the kindest, most talented and brilliant musicians. His name was Mr. Joey, and he was easily the best person I'll ever meet. And although I only met him once for a few hours, I've still known him through my best friend's stories about him (he was her music teacher and sometimes came back to visit), and there is never a right time for someone like him to go. He was happy here, and I'm sure he's happy wherever he's gone.
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm trying to not ramble on and on when I don't have much to go off of my own knowledge. xD  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Peutaiite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 am
When I signed the audition forms in October, my mom told me I wasn't going to go, I reluctantly said fine. (Thinking that I'd have a good 6 months to get my point across)

But now, they're both mad because I 'lied' to them. Sure, you could say I did, but what was I supposed to do?

My mom said, "If you really wanted to go to the school, you should have been honest from the beginning."
And I asked what would have happened then and she said, "Well we would have put a stop to it there and you wouldn't have done the audition." crying

I've been constantly arguing with them about it and it seems all it's doing is making them mad.
They said, "We're getting mad because you're still trying!" (What a great inspirational quote!) And threatened to start taking privileges away if I even mentioned it again.

My parents have always been very strict and I'm not surprised that they don't want me to. But I thought that even they would have a fraction of a heart between them to actually care about someone other than themselves. :/  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:52 pm
That...sounds a lot like my parents on some levels.

Do they think you're going to become a different person if you go to this other school? Does the school cost money, is it further away, can a bus still take you or do your parents have to drive you?

Is it just a music school or do they have regular classes too? Maybe your parents want you to be well-rounded, not just musically-shaped.

I'm sorry your parents are not supportive. D;  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 pm
    New uniforms! We leave for Disney in three days. I'm really excited. :]

Also, we got a 1 at county adjudication (a required festival thing), so we're going to states in april! Only one other band in the county is going, which is a school that my friend goes to, so I'm happy. =D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:55 pm
o: Jealoussss. Our uniforms are as old as our school (seven years lmao) and we desperately need new ones but no budget is in sight.

I miss spring trips...apathy has prevented ours and I can only hope that next year's doesn't get cancelled too. ;-;

We got a 1 at VBODA (our states)! Actually, both our concert bands got straight superiors. So this means...VIRGINIA HONOR BAND for the first time in five years.
I am so happy, even though this happened a few weekends ago now lol.
Also nais. All my friends from other schools live in other counties so I never see them except in marching band.  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm
Disney in 5 days! Woot!

In other news, I attempted (big word there) my first improv solo yesterday. It was...interesting. At first I was like a deer in the headlights and no good notes would come out of my trumpet and when I got into it it was mildly fun. Mildly. It was just the blues scale, so it wasn't difficult, just weird.

In further news, I took a practice AP chem test today. Definitely not fun. We got back to school just in time to go out and practice marching for Disney. Yay... I ended up crashing on the podium in the band room for a pre-jazz band nap, but jazz band got canceled. So no improv until after Disney!

I feel like this post is very stream-of-conscience-like...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:14 pm
    Disney was so much fun! Our new uniforms are great, except the aussies and plumes...brim of the aussies is huge, so we all hit eachother (and they have a buckle, so they're hard to get on and off), and the plumes are really tall. I took so many pictures...over 400. xd I'm exhausted!

I have one improv solo in one of our songs...I don't understand improv at all, so I just move my fingers and play random notes a lot. xd

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

Silence is Back

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hey guys.. I play the snare drum!  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm
I'm finally getting my marching band music tomorrow!
Next week starts my practicing, if homework doesn't override.
I would start now but my AP US History (APUSH) exam is a lot more important. ):  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 pm
Interesting, I check on this thread and I get one of those fake "Enter your name and password" windows. It's been a while...  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 pm
Ah, I think it's Silence.

It has been a while...I haven't had much to post, and anything coming to mind is all negative. I hate being negative so I've just kept quiet.  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 pm
    I got it, too.

I've just been really busy lately. So much band! Our jazz band's spaghetti dinner was saturday, so we've been practicing after school for that for awhile. This week is pretty packed, too. Today was my birthday (=D), tomorrow is our spring concert, and thursday is our band banquet! I really don't want the seniors to leave. :[ Their last day is next monday.

So, I've decided to try out for drum major! I just don't know when we're gonna get info about it. I'm hoping I'll get it, but our director's never chosen two girls before, and a lot of people saying that she won't. But it's just because most girls are dramatic, so I might be in the clear for that...who knows.

Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff