Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Administration Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:59 am
    That sounds a lot like a program at my school. It's a part of the arts and communications academy that's is based at my school, which is sort of the magnet arts program for the county. They have an advanced music studies program...I'm planning on auditioning for it for my senior year. I'd do it for next year, too, but there are so many other classes that I'd like to take, and I can hardly make room for everything. xd I'm looking into taking this pointless required class online so I have room for calculus...then I have to decide which type of calc class I want to take, because they have a full year of just calc 1 and a full year for calc 1 and 2. Then there's AP Psych which I want to take...so many things. xd I don't know how I'll do it senior year, since if I do AMS (it's the first half of the day both semesters) and take band both semesters, I only have room for two other classes. xd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:58 pm
That's cool! Hopefully you find room though.

What class? Civics/Careers? That one was pretty pointless. razz

Wow, your classes are weird. In Canada, (or at least at all the Ottawa schools I've heard of) There's only one calculus class, and it's in grade 12, and it only takes 1 semester. None of this calc 1 and calc 2, it's just calculus. (I'm planning on taking it in grade 12. razz )

My school doesn't have psychology, sad Well... we have a class called, "Introduction to Psychology, Anthropology and Sociology." But nothing much else. None of the schools around here that I've heard of have AP programs either, we have

Academic/University -> Highest level. (It's called academic in grade 9/10 and University in 1/12. Same pattern will continue throughout this list)

Open/Mixed -> Everyone takes it. (Classes like music, gym, etc.)

Applied/College -> Easier than academic/university

Essentials -> Learning disabilities or just plain dumb people.

There is, "Enriched English." And I'm taking it. It's the only class that my school has above Academic. sad

Woah woah woah! Back up there. "Band both semesters?" Does that mean that band takes up class slots? We get a credit for band at my school too, but it's only after school and at lunch. That must suck having to give up classes to take band.

Although it would be nice having band every day as a class. :O

EDIT- I didn't see this before but you said "Magnet arts program for the county." Yeah, that's basically what I'm auditioning for.

You're so lucky to live so close to it! The people must be a lot nicer than regular high schools then.
I see, so you'd be a "General." (My friend said that at her school there are Music kids, Lit kids, Drama kids, Vis Kids, Dance Kids, and Generals. razz )  

Peutaiite

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:54 pm
    The class is "Foundations of Technology"...absolutely pointless, from what I've heard from everyone who has taken it before. xd

I think they just like stuffing our brains with math. They start advanced math classes as early as middle school, starting with Algebra 2 in seventh grade if you do well on this test thing. They like advanced programs. xd A lot of the AP programs are going downhill, though...they try to get so many students to take as many as possible, which means work quality is going downhill. Schools just want it to look good these days.

Yeah, band is a 90 minutes class at the end of each day. =D I love it, it's a great way to end the day...except during marching season, when I have to walk home sweaty. It takes up a lot of space on my schedule, but it's a nice break from just doing worksheets and stuff all day.

That makes me feel cool! "General"...B] xd I'm interested in lots of things (history, but not American history, sometimes math when it's easy stuff, physics, psychology and sociology, philosophy, and band, of course), but I'll probably end up majoring in music. The college my sister's going to has a really nice music program (she's there for their communications program, though). It's really expensive, but I'm looking into it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:20 pm
Ahh, sounds pointless. Uhmm. I'm not sure if you'll be able to take that online. Usually, classes in the tech. department are mostly, "hands on" stuff. I may be wrong, but the name sounds like a class where you have to build a lot of stuff. :/

Oh really? I'm kind of jealous of some of the American schools. For me, up until grade 8, math was math. All the smart people and all the..... not so smart people razz were in the same math classes. (And then we split into Academic/Applied etc. once we hit high school) I'd really like to be able to take advanced math. It's one of my favorite subjects. sad (Makes sense, because music and math are similar! biggrin ) Oh... I see. So they pressure kids into taking it who really couldn't handle it? That must be annoying for them, (And you, since they'll be slowing down the class)

That's cool. I wish I could have band every day. sad Some people in my band would say otherwise though. At my school, band doesn't mean much to a lot of people, they just treat it as a side activity. A few people, me included, on the other hand. Love band.
Ya, I see how it'd be a nice break.

Hmm. Have you ever noticed that the people good at music are good at math/science? I'm pretty convinced by now that music is a left brain dominant area. (My careers teacher disagrees. She said that the melody is right brained because they can be creative and just think up songs) haha. She doesn't know what she's talking about. My piano teacher told me that you can't just think up songs. You know all the theory and rules. This was said while I was doing a theory lesson with her. We were talking about.... you know what, I can't remember, it was just something about how in 3/4 time (It could have been another time signature) that you can never put a rest on a certain beat. I asked why, and I don't even remember what she said. Something about, "You just can't! It's the rules!" lol razz

That sounds exciting, hopefully it's not too much money. I've thought about majoring in music too. I'm not sure though. Not to brag, but I'm really good at math and science. And I don't want to give it all up. Ahh. If only there was a way to do both! crying  

Peutaiite

MHHornfreak
Vice Captain

Fashionable Conversationalist

14,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:07 pm
Hey guys, havent posted in here in a while. Looks like my jazzband is getting back together and we're planning on doing a demo for a promo pack to help us get some gigs. I'm pretty excited! Our first rehearsal is tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:57 pm
Well that's good news. Hopefully all goes well for you.

As for me, my audition is tomorrow, and I didn't get to practice today! Along with the audition, I also have to pass a theory test, and I've been studying for it most of the day.

I'll post how my audition went tomorrow. Any tips on what to do now that I haven't practiced? (I can play all my stuff fine now, it's just I could have made them A LOT better.)  

Peutaiite

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm
    I checked online, that class is available. It probably won't take up too much of my free time. xd

Schools are just trying to look good these days. It's annoying, hopefully it'll change...the No Child Left Behind act started most of it.

Band every day is a lot of fun. :] When we're done with everything at the end of the semester we just hang out and stuff...maybe sight read a little. xd

I think that music uses both sides of the brain! Technical stuff for the left brain, and portraying emotion through it is the right side. That's why I like it so much!

Well, my sister has about half of it paid in scholarships, I think, and we're still playing for about $20,000? xd It's really nice, though. You can still take other classes that aren't your major, too. =D That's what I plan on doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:00 pm
Oh! That's good.

Yeah. It is kinda annoying. Them pressuring everyone isn't going to make those lazy kids care more.

Sounds like it would be. I only have band twice a week. crying
That sounds like fun. I'd feel a little empty at the end though. 'Cause the no band.

Ya it does. In Careers class we had to sort out different types of intelligences into left/right brain. And music was one of them. I asked her, "Can one of them be in both?" And she said no. sad
Oh well. razz

Well that's not too bad. It is a lot though. Yeah, that's a good plan. But can you still get the bachelors degree in the other stuff too? That's what I was worrying about. sweatdrop  

Peutaiite

Peutaiite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm
So my audition went pretty well, I'd say.

Although, they told me to play my scale again, so.... hopefully that's not bad news.

I only got halfway down my piece and they told me to stop, and then they asked to hear the first line again. Which I hope isn't a bad sign.

On the sight reading I forgot the volume markings and messed up at the end.
And, WAIT
You know what? I'm just nit picking at all the little mistakes. It went well generally.

I don't find out if I made it until around March break. With your experience, do you guys know of any 'give aways' the adjudicators might give? Like if they say a certain thing it'll be a hint towards the results?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:45 pm
I've personally never made an audition so no, I don't know what they say that indicates it.

They asked you to repeat things just to make sure you actually could play it right if asked to stop. And they probably wanted to clarify on the scale.
Not bad signs, in my opinion, I don't think. Good luck though.  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm
    Doesn't sound like bad things to me. If I was auditioning someone, I'd probably ask them to play something again to admire it or make sure it's right, because I wouldn't remember what they played... xd

If they told you to stop halfway, I think that's a good sign, maybe...but that's just me. I'm just thinking that by then they knew you could play it well. My director has done that with playing tests in the past.

As for me, I was the only oboe who auditioned for all-county, so they knew I was going to make it... xd

Ohohohoh! Anyone here ever play David by Stephen Melillio? It's absolutely amazing! I love the oboe part. And all the other parts. And there's a girl doing the super intense sort of opera singing in it, too. It's intense! We still haven't played it in class, though...Link! The other movements are in the related video thingy. I can't wait to play it...I prefer playing slower stuff on oboe so I can improve my tone more, and runs still don't come naturally to me on it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 pm
smile Thanks guys.
Ya, I that makes sense.

They asked me if I knew theory, and I said I played piano, and then one of them randomly started asking me questions like, "How many sharps are in B+??" and stuff like that.

Sounds pretty epic by the description, but I haven't clicked the link yet. *clicks*  

Peutaiite

Peutaiite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:40 pm
That was cool.

Although not what I expected.

When you said opera, I imagined some really fast 'movie trailer music' with an opera singer going crazy.

But this is nice too. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 pm
    A guy from band in my history class and I were quizzing each other on scales and various other theory things before our seating tests awhile ago...stuff like that amuses me. xd

The music itself isn't opera, but the pitch of the singing is...well, that's the only way I can describe it. I really like it, and the last movement makes me think of Veggie Tales (the David and Goliath one xd )! Not from the music, but...yeah.

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:10 pm
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <- That represents my excitement level right now. So, not only are we going to Disney right before spring break (which I'm excited for), we are going to BOA GRAND NATIONALS this fall! =D I've been waiting so long to hear that. I love BOA! I've wanted to go to Grand Nationals since my freshman year. :] When our director told us, everyone was like, "AHHH!!!!!!!!! =DDDDD" Our show sounds really cool, too. I can't wait! Too many things to be excited for...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff