Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Administration Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm
Five Guys is the best! So greesy and cheese....mmmmm...And the fries! Both types are very tasty!

I just ordered my solo for solo and ensemble. A little late, I know... It's "Andante and Allegretto" by Belay. It's my first solo in high school and class B. I can't wait until it gets here! biggrin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:34 pm
[Aelfwyn]

Our concert was on Thursday and it went pretty well. I had a solo for jazz band and got like a ton of compliments on it. That amazed me because the solo wasn't that hard nor did I play it that great. I guess I'm harder on myself than other people are...or people just complimented me because they were surprised that I was playing a solo? xp

On Wedesnday we played at the elementary school. They loooved heart us, but we just bored the highs school kids on Friday when we played at the Christmas music assembly. Stupid high school kids...can't impress them without sports and testosterone.

@ Peutaiite: I hate when you have to do things in band because you are "needed" somewhere. Like last year I got moved from the beloved horn to trumpet because our senior trumpet players quit. confused I would definitely not give up on being in the senior band. Annoy your director until he duct tapes your mouth shut even. Fight to the death and never give up. Don't accept your place and always try to rise above it. And if you stay in the lower band, don't give up either. Find some awesome hard music and practice that (so you don't stop practicing).

I know! sad
Ya, she said that we need, "Someone that can actually play" in junior band. Well, not to sound vain, but... she kinda has a point there.
I'm pretty sure it's all said and done now. But at the time she was going on about how it was a "compliment" that I could be in either band, razz .

That's what I've done. I'm preparing a solo right now. My friend goes to a special school for art, and it's really advanced, and I borrow her music a lot. razz
I'm thinking of using the solo to audition for the school. My audition is Feb. 1st.

That must have sucked! Have you/did you get to switch back yet?  

Peutaiite

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm
    So, my first all-county rehearsal was tonight! I didn't sound very good, because I didn't practice much over winter break, and we just got the music yesterday...>_> But my tone will hopefully be back to normal soon. I feel so alone, though! I'm technically the "first chair of the band" based on where I'm sitting...and I've never been in the front row before, so I feel blind. I don't know anybody who's around me, either. xd I've been talking a bit to the flute player next to me, even though she's always horrendously out of tune...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 pm
@Elfy: Our Solo and Ensemble isn't until like...April. o_o;
I should talk to my director about it soon, so I can start getting ready...cause I know I'll need a while to get it perfected.

@Terra: That sounds intense XD
I've never been anywhere but the very back, so when my director tells us to find chairs among the band I feel really lost.  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm
I haven't touched my horn but once this break. Crap. I have an audition on Sunday.

On a happier note, I had 5 guys for dinner razz  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm
Maybe you should do that?

I haven't touched my bells since before break because I forget to unpack them. And I didn't have music to play until Tuesday since my director thought he lost our parts. rolleyes  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 pm
my chops are gone. uuuuuuugh.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:43 pm
I practiced a lot over break. If I don't practice I totally suck. It seriously feels like my nightly practicing only serves to maintain my current state, not improve it. xp

Anyway, really good news: I may be playing first part again! Yesterday my director told me to play first part for the new songs! I'm not counting on things for sure, because I don't want to get my hopes up only to be put back on 2nd. (BTW We never had auditions this year, nor do I believe we will be having them. Thus my part or unofficial chair is at the mercy of my director.) I was shocked when it all happened yesterday. Maybe my director is becoming less of a high note bigot? (The only quality he respects in a trumpet player is high range, which I am lacking a bit.) I still don't believe he respects me at all, but its a start.

I got my solo in the mail yesterday! I fell in love with it at first note.

Yay! We had an unneeded snow day today! (The "huge" amounts of snow that was supposed to come at 2:00 came at 7:00 (PM). rofl ) That means that I didn't have the horrible day of both a pre-calc and AP Chem test. (But I'll have them on Monday).

(Anyway, did I include enough parenthetical thoughts? I like writing that way I guess. Haha).

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm
My home county had a two hour delay on friday based on a 1-3 inch prediction.
It never snowed, in fact the delay made things worse.
It was above freezing when people would normally be going to school, but two hours later it dropped below. The roads froze and caused several accidents.
uugh. People are stupid.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 pm
I love living in the DC area because if there's even a chance of several inches of snow late at night, everything shuts down or is delayed the next day.
...I can't remember ever having a one hour delay, it's always either two hours, going home early, or no school.

Also, in regards to first chair: Congrats! I should challenge my section leader for our chair placements but...we don't have a chair order, it's more like a percussion hierarchy. :l

@Icy roads: People are stupid. My grandma thinks she can drive over anything because she has four-wheel drive. e_e  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

__penguin__
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 am
Omg lol, I just tried to invite a bunch of people from that band nerd thread that popped up in LD, but I got pending invitation errors. I guess someone already did it? xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:12 pm
I'm not first chair, just first part...I probably won't ever be first chair on account of the lack of auditions, lack of challenges challenges, and over faith my director has in the current "lead" trumpet. I won't even call him first chair only because he never earned it this year. He's just riding on the audition from last year. My director puts way too much faith into the "lead" players, pretty much implying everyone else is worthless to him. Maybe he doesn't say it that way, but I feel he might as well. If I added two notes to my range maybe I would put up more of a fight, but heck, I just got moved up Thursday. I can't get ahead of myself. I'm just a lowly non-leader after all. stare Concert band doesn't need "section leaders," yet my director still calls them that. I don't get nor do I need any help from my "leader." Call me stubborn and unwilling to follow people, but I am what I am.

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 pm
Whoops, my mistake. Force of habit, and I thought you said 'chair'. Will read more closely next time XD;
Your director...needs to learn how to lead properly. That's now how to do things, she's stupid IMO.

As soon as I find my cloning device I'll make you a copy of my director, he'd whip your program around so fast it'd be insane. He uh...only promotes people to first chair if they're good players and good people, as proven by -our- trumpet section. Our top two chairs play really well but one is less of an a*****e so he got 'section leader' spot and first chair.

Can't you talk to your director at all and ask what her deal is? I know band politics are stupid but she's only making it worse, IMO.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm
    Whoo! Guess who was grounded for the past week? xd

We didn't have school on friday due to...maybe half an inch of snow. Our school board is stupid. Plus they want to cut lots of sports and stuff. Not marching band, though, since they only give us around 1k a year, anyway.

SPEAKING OF MARCHING BAND, we were measured the other day for our new uniforms. :] They look so amazing, and my uniform will actually fit me for once! (But if I get drum major for next season when I try out, then it won't fit again... xd ) We might have them in time for our Disney trip at the end of March, I'm so excited. =D They're beautiful!

Terra of the Lilies
Crew

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:38 pm
(:

We're due for new uniforms but my district is cutting back on like...everything.

I'm not concerned about mine fitting; it always has and always will since I've had the same jacket for the past three years and unless I grow like six inches I'll have it again next year.

In other news, I'm obsessing over used cars since I'm getting a car sometime this calendar year. And apparently, some 2006 VW Golfs have cassette players in them. Do want. <3  
Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games