Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm
TeaDidikai
Aino Ailill
Does the flavor of tea soak into a cast iron kettle? I know that it can soak into the pots that are used to cook gumbo, jambalaya, shrimp/crawfish creole, etc. when it is cooked often and, as such, cooking it in a pot that has absorbed the flavors adds that extra bit of spice to every new dish.
Tea doesn't season cast iron the same way because of the lack of fats.

Cast iron, when properly cared for, becomes "seasoned". The oils, and sometimes the spices, condition the metal in a way that enhances the character of the pot/pan and makes for fuller, richer and easier to clean meals.

The lack of fat in tea (unless you're part of an African or rural Asian culture... some of them put butter in their tea) doesn't allow for this. That said, Yixing Ware is a porous form of bisque ware and it does absorb the tea. Properly seasoned yixing ware can have hot water poured in without leaves and will pour out tea. heart

That said, you have to be incredibly careful with the quality of the yixing ware in order for it to be safe.

That is so neat! If I get into the tea scene. and I have the money, I'm going to try it. :3  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 pm
Aino Ailill
That is so neat! If I get into the tea scene. and I have the money, I'm going to try it. :3
I have this whole cultural thing in regards to hosting and presents. twisted  

TeaDidikai

Calixti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:52 pm
TeaDidikai
I cook with other kinds of tea and include milk.

That makes more sense than drinking milk IN green tea.

I really need to try making that green tea furikake, now that you've reminded me about cooking with tea. ninja
TeaDidikai
It's okay. I won't hold it against you. ninja
That's good. As long as you don't take it away! gonk
TeaDidikai
Calixti
...I've got a lovely rooibos chai that I adore. And drink plain or with a teeny touch of honey. biggrin
~twitch~ Rooibos is an interesting tisane, but the oxymoron that rooibos chai is makes me twitch.
That is kind of strange, now that I think about it, but that's what Teavana labels it as. sweatdrop Maybe "spiced rooibos" would be a better name.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm
Primarily for TeaDidikai -

Consider me a tea idiot. What is the difference between tea and tisane? Mind, I generally have to go by what's on the box... confused  

River_Moonwolf

patch99329

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 am
River_Moonwolf
Primarily for TeaDidikai -

Consider me a tea idiot. What is the difference between tea and tisane? Mind, I generally have to go by what's on the box... confused

Hope I'm not stepping on Tea's toes. xd

I wouldn't call you a tea idiot at all, the term tea is in common usage nowadays for all kinds of infusions.

That said, tea refers to the infusions made from the tea plant (Camelia sinesis) whereas a tisane refers to infusions made from herbs, fruit etc etc.

English breakfast=tea
Peppermint= tisane

The gunpowder was totally amazing to taste. Really full of flavour!
As for my ceylon silver tip, I wasn't all that impressed. But I think this is largely based on how it was made (I took it to a friends house, he poured the water in whilst briskly boiling, and I left it to brew for an irregular amount of time).
Does anyone have any serving suggestions?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:15 am
patch99329

Does anyone have any serving suggestions?
Brew lighter ( 30 seconds @ about 140 degrees F) and allow it to contrast with something sweet but mild, like a mellow melon- maybe honey dew?  

TeaDidikai

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am
TeaDidikai

The lack of fat in tea (unless you're part of an African or rural Asian culture... some of them put butter in their tea) doesn't allow for this. That said, Yixing Ware is a porous form of bisque ware and it does absorb the tea. Properly seasoned yixing ware can have hot water poured in without leaves and will pour out tea. heart

That said, you have to be incredibly careful with the quality of the yixing ware in order for it to be safe.

I saw something recently where they were talking about the way they drink tea in Mongolia. Part of me is very intrigued and wants to try it. The other part of me is horrified at the thought of what it'd probably do to my digestive system eek

Yixing ware sounds very interesting. Do you know of somewhere I could look and be sure of the quality? Or just how to know what makes quality yixing ware?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 pm
Will I be shunned forever if I say I have never liked any sort of tea I've tried to drink? sweatdrop

I rarely drink tea, though, so maybe it's just that I haven't found the real thing yet...  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Ainwyn
I saw something recently where they were talking about the way they drink tea in Mongolia. Part of me is very intrigued and wants to try it. The other part of me is horrified at the thought of what it'd probably do to my digestive system eek
Heh... yeah. Same boat really.

Quote:
Yixing ware sounds very interesting. Do you know of somewhere I could look and be sure of the quality? Or just how to know what makes quality yixing ware?
Traditional yixing ware is safe. The problem is less about "quality" and more about confusing unsafe knockoffs for the real thing.

The only solution I know of personally (without wasting money on acid tests and ruining the pot in question) is to buy from a reputable seller.

That said- I know of such locally. If you hit Summerstar this year, I could show you, or baring that, they do online-sales.

Arrowlake Riddler
Will I be shunned forever if I say I have never liked any sort of tea I've tried to drink? sweatdrop

I rarely drink tea, though, so maybe it's just that I haven't found the real thing yet...
Likely haven't had good tea.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:23 pm
TeaDidikai
Likely haven't had good tea.

But what is good tea, then? Normally I don't drink anything else but water, so I have no idea what is good or bad when it comes to tea... or to any other drinks, on that matter. But this thread makes me want to have a cup of good tea, even though I have no idea what it tastes like. gonk  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:10 pm
Arrowlake Riddler

But what is good tea, then? Normally I don't drink anything else but water, so I have no idea what is good or bad when it comes to tea... or to any other drinks, on that matter. But this thread makes me want to have a cup of good tea, even though I have no idea what it tastes like. gonk

Where to begin...
First, freshness. Tea (unless it's pu'erh) should have been harvested within a year and a half of when you are drinking it.
It should unfold into wholeish leaves.
When you rub it between your fingers, it should have a little give before it breaks.
It should smell good.
The water needs to be the right temp, and there needs to be the right proportions.

So... what kinds of food do you like?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 pm
TeaDidikai

Spicy. 3nodding  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:13 am
Arrowlake Riddler
TeaDidikai

Spicy. 3nodding
Any more details than that?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am
TeaDidikai

Not really. I like pretty much anything, as long as it's well spiced. I'm also especially in love with Indian and Chinese food, if that helps.  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 pm
Arrowlake Riddler
TeaDidikai

Not really. I like pretty much anything, as long as it's well spiced. I'm also especially in love with Indian and Chinese food, if that helps.
Not really.

What is your favorite food of all time?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games