Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:30 am
Preview of the second Horus Heresy book is now on-line, it can be found here: http://www.blacklibrary.com/pdf/false-gods.pdf

Note how McNeill ******** up continuity by mentioning that a character has "a throat as dry as a Tallarn sandal", though Tallarn would turn into a desert not until after the Heresy, when the Iron Warriors virus bomb the world into the world that it is today.

Thanks Graham, git.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:49 pm
yes but was that an IC remark or an OOC remark in the book. because if it was OOC he is connecting to readers knowledge of the Tallarn world as of now.  

ExLibrisMortis

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:36 am
In character, the book takes place before the heresy and thus, Tallarn is not a ball of sand as of yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:08 pm
Isn't the new Gaunt book out yet? if so i'll hav eme a copy..thank god for friends on Europe!  

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TheDarkMercenary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:14 pm
Personaly, I like the Black Libraries books, but it always confused me how the Emperor made his Primarchs...so...so..well....crap! There's 20 of them (I think) and 10 of them suddenly turn evil! I mean, they're meant to be perfect. This the 31st Millienium and the Emperor is a psyker. Why didn't he think "Hmmm, don't want to trust Horus! He might be evil after a while!" Yes, I collect Imperial Guard, but I'm not sure if THEY want to follow the Emperor after a few chapters of Horus Rising!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:32 am
vaholm
MrToad
vaholm
I know this is off topic, but there is no where else to put it.

Have any of you ever read any of those books by George R R Martin? They keep getting mentioned in WD and I was wondering if they are any good.
All four, baby! and we're looking at 3 more.
Yeah, he's awesome. It's low fantasy, as they mentioned in WD, so there's less fantasy and more dirt, and every character has a flaw, but I highly recommend it. They're huge books, and they read more like historical fiction than fantasy, esp. the first, but that only makes the occasional magic spell or dragon more interesting.
The downsides are that they have enough sex in enough detail to seem a little perverted (not that much sex, but still notable amounts), they're really long, and sometimes hard to understand (maybe 15 protagonists, and about 10 fictional civilizations w/ their own religions, traditions, and politics.) He likes to make up midaeval slang words that take a couple pages to understand what they mean (like "scorpion" means ballista, and "manticore" means scorpion the animal).
But very well thought out, very detailed, some of the best character development i've ever read; as an omniscient reader with no central main character, you have the pleasure of picking who to root for.

I read them all. A fine yarn thus far (love Tryion -what a smart a** eh?). Now I am doing a Vampire Count Blood Dragon force based on the concept of an entire army of Others.
tyrion is the man. im only in the beginning of the second book, but im just itching for joffery to die.... it cant be too long, since martin has a way of killing everyone.  

ravener2759

ravener2759

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:37 am
TheDarkMercenary
Personaly, I like the Black Libraries books, but it always confused me how the Emperor made his Primarchs...so...so..well....crap! There's 20 of them (I think) and 10 of them suddenly turn evil! I mean, they're meant to be perfect. This the 31st Millienium and the Emperor is a psyker. Why didn't he think "Hmmm, don't want to trust Horus! He might be evil after a while!" Yes, I collect Imperial Guard, but I'm not sure if THEY want to follow the Emperor after a few chapters of Horus Rising!!
well, im not going to go and say the emperor is lame or anything, but the imperial guard is a nuisance at best. im going to have to take the soul drinkers side on the subjest of them.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 pm
so, does anyone know if the new Gaunt book is out yet? In the U.K., i meant.  

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 am
[J]ack [K]rauser
so, does anyone know if the new Gaunt book is out yet? In the U.K., i meant.

If you took care to read some previous posts, you would've read that the next Ghost novel will be released around the 30th of October in the UK. And one month later for the rest of the world.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:32 pm
Kirara.
TheDarkMercenary
well, im not going to go and say the emperor is lame or anything, but the imperial guard is a nuisance at best. im going to have to take the soul drinkers side on the subjest of them.
Lets see how much of a nuisance they are when my armoured division takes a drive up your choco-starlato! How dare you insult the great, almighty Imperial Guard. It's not like they hire great, hulking monstrosities......oh hang on, they use ogryns. Well, it's not like they always run away....ah, that's the need for Commissars. Well....well.....they can still fratenise with women!  

TheDarkMercenary

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:41 pm
Off topic...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:55 pm
Alrighty then, plenty of time for my friend on the U.K. to get it to me a month before other Americans...  

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

ravener2759

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:49 pm
TheDarkMercenary
Kirara.
TheDarkMercenary
Lets see how much of a nuisance they are when my armoured division takes a drive up your choco-starlato! How dare you insult the great, almighty Imperial Guard. It's not like they hire great, hulking monstrosities......oh hang on, they use ogryns. Well, it's not like they always run away....ah, that's the need for Commissars. Well....well.....they can still fratenise with women!

aaanyways, i dislike the inquisition war trilogy, i find myself getting bored while reading it. i think ill pick up double eagle sometime soon.

and arnt ogryns mutants or xenos?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:17 pm
Ogryns are ab-humans, ALL FURTHER IG RELATED DISCUSSION IS TO TAKE PLACE IN THE RESPECTIVE THREAD, NO MORE OFF-TOPIC BANTER.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:54 pm
Some of the BL releases for 2007 (Jan. to Apr.)

January 2007 (February 2007 – US and Rest of World)

Sons of Fenris – the long-awaited fifth book in the Space Wolf series
Space Wolf: the First Omnibus – great value omnibus collecting Space Wolf, Ragnar’s Claw and Grey Hunter
Night of the Daemon – Book two in the Daemon Gates series – sequel to Day of the Daemon

February 2007 (March 2007 – US and Rest of World)

Gaunt’s Ghosts: The Founding – superb omnibus edition collecting First & Only, Ghostmaker, Necropolis
Eldar Prophecy – action with the Eldar from the Kaelor craftworld
Dakblade: Warpsword – Dan Abnett & Mike Lee bring you the fourth book in this blood-soaked saga
Tactica Imperialis – Dan Abnett brings you the definitive guide to the great battles of the Imperium

March 2007 (April 2007 – US and Rest of World)

The Horus Heresy: Flight of the Eisenstein – Captain Garrow and the loyalist Death Guard race to warn Terra of the Heresy
Ravenor Rogue – storming adventure with Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor and his team in the third instalment
Retribution ­– Steven Savile’s epic Vampire Counts trilogy comes to a gory end
The Warhammer Quiz Book – test your knowledge of the Old World… if you dare!

April 2007 2007 (May 2007 – US and Rest of World)

Chapter War – the Soul Drinkers face an internal war when their newest recruits decide to punish the Imperium
Tales of the Old World – the massive book of Warhammer short stories!
The Art of Warhammer – a lavish full-colour artbook featuring the very best artwork from Games Workshop
Lasgun Wedding – Kal Jerico finds himself in the worst situation of his life – stood at the wedding altar!

General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games