Welcome to Gaia! ::

Xa44s RPs

Back to Guilds

I do RPs 

Tags: Adventure, Fantasy 

Reply Xa44s RPs
Episode 3 planing stuff Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34 35 36 37 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 pm
Xa44

The Thursday thing is just a joke, basically dark town sucks

Light- cecita
New king- dude is a nacisess
Old king- great dude
Most buildings have glass ceilings
Its a wealthy town

If you say the Old King is a great guy, then I can picture Terran actually showing the man respect despite his being a shadow mage.
Glass ceilings... exactly how advanced is their architecture? Are they a city of glass???

Xa44
Dark- Bindhei
President- good dude but can get a bit obsessed and crazy
The town- is in a bad place because of a war that started a food shortage
War was water Vs. Light, 4 years ago

"President" has an odd ring to it, lol. :/
Looks like Terran's mother died around the time of the war. Did it start 4 years ago or end 4 years ago?

Xa44
Arcain- Arana
Queen- an interesting person who doesn't care much for politics and only wants to play around with there master charm spell
The town- no one really cares for anything people will joke around and play pranks all the time, or study magic from the many different people

I love the name of this town, lol.
They must be pretty well off to be so carefree, so they've got that going for them I suppose. Also sounds like a place to watch your step to avoid triggering prank spells. (Remind Terran to be diligent here! He might get mad if he gets caught by too many pranks! razz )
Sounds like the Queen is somebody that you don't want to oppose much (because she'll charm you anyways if you refuse, lol).
Actually, I think this place has the potential for some interesting situations for Terran!

Xa44
Nature-
The queen is quite and reserved her husband is a strong fighter and interacts with the community a lot

They sound noble. I keep thinking "elves" when I think about this town. Maybe it's like a stereotype, but elves just kinda work so well with the nature elements, rofl! They are mainly (if not all) humans in this town though, right?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm
Xa44
Yes very common, no specific illnesses, one illness to know of though is
mana fever
A illness caused by the body having too much, or too little mana
Symptoms are, fever, being unable to cast spells, being unable to move, coughing, and sore throat

Might nausea be a symptom as well? Or trouble breathing?

In the case of mana fever being caused by having too much mana, it be cured by using Drain Mana? Also, is there a difference between Drain and Drain Mana? Both are arcane spells, although they feel kinda like darkness spells to me. Same with Dissolve (Sounds like something that would cause necrotic damage to the target as it looses HP).

Speaking of spells, do Dissolve (arcane spell) and Vampiric Prison (dark spell) function in the same way? (As in both draw the same amount of HP from the target?)

(G2g, goodnight!) emotion_awesome  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Haru Yates
Xa44

Light- cecita
Old king- great dude
Its a wealthy town

If you say the Old King is a great guy, then I can picture Terran actually showing the man respect despite his being a shadow mage.
Glass ceilings... exactly how advanced is their architecture? Are they a city of glass???

Xa44
Dark- Bindhei

Looks like Terran's mother died around the time of the war. Did it start 4 years ago or end 4 years ago?

Xa44
Arcain- Arana
Queen- an interesting person who doesn't care much for politics and only wants to play around with there master charm spell
The town- no one really cares for anything people will joke around and play pranks all the time, or study magic from the many different people

They must be pretty well off to be so carefree, so they've got that going for them I suppose. Also sounds like a place to watch your step to avoid triggering prank spells. (Remind Terran to be diligent here! He might get mad if he gets caught by too many pranks! razz )
Sounds like the Queen is somebody that you don't want to oppose much (because she'll charm you anyways if you refuse, lol).
Actually, I think this place has the potential for some interesting situations for Terran!

Xa44
Nature-
The queen is quite and reserved her husband is a strong fighter and interacts with the community a lot

They sound noble. I keep thinking "elves" when I think about this town. Maybe it's like a stereotype, but elves just kinda work so well with the nature elements, rofl! They are mainly (if not all) humans in this town though, right?

It is just the ceilings, and not all buildings, the main residence for this is because Sunbeam doesn't work if you can't see the sun(meaning that it was made out of necessity not for looks)

Ended 4 years ago(i think)

Arana is great, and it just has so much going for it, not a place I would want to live

Might change it to elfs but for now no because that is not worth if no one is interested(also the current races are rare things unlike elfs) if I did add elfs there would be the problem of cross racial things and I don't wanna go there(same reason I am not saying all fire town people are black, because I don't wanna go into that)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Haru Yates

In the case of mana fever being caused by having too much mana, it be cured by using Drain Mana? Also, is there a difference between Drain and Drain Mana? Both are arcane spells, although they feel kinda like darkness spells to me. Same with Dissolve (Sounds like something that would cause necrotic damage to the target as it looses HP).

Speaking of spells, do Dissolve (arcane spell) and Vampiric Prison (dark spell) function in the same way? (As in both draw the same amount of HP from the target?)

Nope

Draining it does nothing because as soon as you get a mana fever you already are back to normal levels(it's kinda complicated)

Drain Mana forces you to cast a random spell, that is very arcane
Drain could be dark but it would need some rebranding and also other things

Dissolve doesn't trap or have life steal, also dissolve does more DMG if I remember correctly
Just read it, they don't work similarly at all Dissolve is an auto hit if you touch and doesn't last for any time after you let go, VP can miss and is lifesteal, also it has a set amount of DMG that it does unlike Dissolve witch has no limit  

Xa44
Captain

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:03 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates
Xa44

Light- cecita
Old king- great dude
Its a wealthy town

Xa44
Dark- Bindhei

Xa44
Arcain- Arana

Xa44
Nature-

It is just the ceilings, and not all buildings, the main residence for this is because Sunbeam doesn't work if you can't see the sun(meaning that it was made out of necessity not for looks)

Ended 4 years ago(i think)

Arana is great, and it just has so much going for it, not a place I would want to live

Might change it to elfs but for now no because that is not worth if no one is interested(also the current races are rare things unlike elfs) if I did add elfs there would be the problem of cross racial things and I don't wanna go there(same reason I am not saying all fire town people are black, because I don't wanna go into that)

Wow, irony! I signed back in on my crappy tablet to let you know that Tofu_On_Ice said that she's interested in joining your RP! (I haven'tn given her many details yet, but she signs in more than Strikxr does.) Here's the irony: the character that she has in mind is an elf!
Would that be ok?

(Ok, goodnight for real this time.)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:06 pm
Haru Yates

Wow, irony! I signed back in on my crappy tablet to let you know that Tofu_On_Ice said that she's interested in joining your RP! (I haven'tn given her many details yet, but she signs in more than Strikxr does.) Here's the irony: the character that she has in mind is an elf!
Would that be ok?

...(bloody hell) radical dude, plant town is now Eeeeeelllfffffs(does that make the king Santa?)  

Xa44
Captain

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates

Nope

Draining it does nothing because as soon as you get a mana fever you already are back to normal levels(it's kinda complicated)

Dissolve doesn't trap or have life steal, also dissolve does more DMG if I remember correctly
Just read it, they don't work similarly at all Dissolve is an auto hit if you touch and doesn't last for any time after you let go, VP can miss and is lifesteal, also it has a set amount of DMG that it does unlike Dissolve witch has no limit

Just for the record, I always double-check the spell list on the first page before I ask for clarification on how a spell works. (And I fixed the typos and cool smileys twice, yet they keep reappearing! emotion_donotwant Ya gotta fin 'em, man!) I didn't realize that "drain" doesn't always mean it siphons the magic energy. (Am I understanding that right?) Probably wouldn't hurt to add a brief 'physical' description of each spell in addition to describing the spell's effect. (Describing what it looks like is useful to us when we are trying to understand how it works. No description is ever too long!)
I'm going to tell you what I told my last DM: Anything that can be misinterpreted will be misinterpreted, so make sure you are explaining things in detail (and as clearly as possible) to the best of your ability. Might be tedious for you, but it'll help avoid confusion and we'll all love you for it.

I also didn't realize that dissolve has no limit and that it's not lifesteal, so thanks for clarifying.

A question about Vampiric prison: How come it only does minor damage for short limited amount of time and damage? Sure, it can trap an opponent, but what's the point of trapping something in your shadow for a short period of time for minimal HP over a limited amount of time when you could just as well use disarming darkness to hold the target in place (or nature's "trap" spell if you want them hold them in place even longer) and cast nature's restoration spell to heal over time to essentially achieve the same effect, if not even better results. (Or cast healing hand on yourself, since there is no restriction preventing us from selecting any spell outside of our element, or from selecting any spells that aren't legendary.) Kinda defeats the point when you've got other spells that are more effective without even trying to be.
Why'd you nerf it so badly? (I'm not upset, I'm just... disappointed. It's so weak now that it just kinda feels severely underpowered compared to other similar spells on the list.)

I'm assuming that the amount of health gained is equal to the amount of health that the target is loosing, as per your standard life-steal spell. The original intention with this spell was that it would require concentration to continue it (meaning you can't cast anything else while you maintain this spell), and it would continue until the target rolls a successful save against it, until the target dies, until the caster chooses to end the spell, or until the caster's concentration is broken (either by casting another spell, or by sustaining damage that is too great to ignore).

emotion_skull

Xa44
Haru Yates

Would that be ok?

...(bloody hell) radical dude, plant town is now Eeeeeelllfffffs(does that make the king Santa?)

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that Santa employs gnomes, not elves!. emotion_awesome

I'm thinking more Legolas and less Christmas elf.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:16 pm
Haru Yates
Xa44
Haru Yates

Nope

Just for the record, I always double-check the spell list on the first page before I ask for clarification on how a spell works. (And I fixed the typos and cool smileys twice, yet they keep reappearing! emotion_donotwant Ya gotta fin 'em, man!) I didn't realize that "drain" doesn't always mean it siphons the magic energy. (Am I understanding that right?) Probably wouldn't hurt to add a brief 'physical' description of each spell in addition to describing the spell's effect. (Describing what it looks like is useful to us when we are trying to understand how it works. No description is ever too long!)
I'm going to tell you what I told my last DM: Anything that can be misinterpreted will be misinterpreted, so make sure you are explaining things in detail (and as clearly as possible) to the best of your ability. Might be tedious for you, but it'll help avoid confusion and we'll all love you for it.

I also didn't realize that dissolve has no limit and that it's not lifesteal, so thanks for clarifying.

A question about Vampiric prison: How come it only does minor damage for short limited amount of time and damage? Sure, it can trap an opponent, but what's the point of trapping something in your shadow for a short period of time for minimal HP over a limited amount of time when you could just as well use disarming darkness to hold the target in place (or nature's "trap" spell if you want them hold them in place even longer) and cast nature's restoration spell to heal over time to essentially achieve the same effect, if not even better results. (Or cast healing hand on yourself, since there is no restriction preventing us from selecting any spell outside of our element, or from selecting any spells that aren't legendary.) Kinda defeats the point when you've got other spells that are more effective without even trying to be.
Why'd you nerf it so badly? (I'm not upset, I'm just... disappointed. It's so weak now that it just kinda feels severely underpowered compared to other similar spells on the list.)

I'm assuming that the amount of health gained is equal to the amount of health that the target is loosing, as per your standard life-steal spell. The original intention with this spell was that it would require concentration to continue it (meaning you can't cast anything else while you maintain this spell), and it would continue until the target rolls a successful save against it, until the target dies, until the caster chooses to end the spell, or until the caster's concentration is broken (either by casting another spell, or by sustaining damage that is too great to ignore).

emotion_skull

Xa44
Haru Yates

Would that be ok?

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that Santa employs gnomes, not elves!. emotion_awesome

I'm thinking more Legolas and less Christmas elf.

I don't really wanna make spells that stop you from using other spells

The way this spell works is
You use it and for a few rounds they can't move, and also every round you roll for DMG again so it is hitting 5 times for lesser DMG and regain 1 every time, and yes a pure healing spell is better but this stops people from moving and does DMG.
Also Disarming Darkness negates 1 physical attack doesn't stop movement
And trap you can actually just jump over or go around, but the spell lasts forever basically so you can set up multiple over time and also push people into it  

Xa44
Captain

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:09 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates

Nope

Just for the record, I always double-check the spell list on the first page before I ask for clarification on how a spell works. (And I fixed the typos and cool smileys twice, yet they keep reappearing! emotion_donotwant Ya gotta fix 'em, man!) I didn't realize that "drain" doesn't always mean it siphons the magic energy. (Am I understanding that right?) Probably wouldn't hurt to add a brief 'physical' description of each spell in addition to describing the spell's effect. (Describing what it looks like is useful to us when we are trying to understand how it works. No description is ever too long!)

Haru Yates

Xa44
I don't really wanna make spells that stop you from using other spells

The way this spell works is
You use it and for a few rounds they can't move, and also every round you roll for DMG again so it is hitting 5 times for lesser DMG and regain 1 every time, and yes a pure healing spell is better but this stops people from moving and does DMG.
Also Disarming Darkness negates 1 physical attack doesn't stop movement
And trap you can actually just jump over or go around, but the spell lasts forever basically so you can set up multiple over time and also push people into it

Honestly, they both sound feckin' useless to me. (no offense.)(VP & Disarming darkness)

If that's true, then it doesn't even feel like a true life-steal spell because amount healed is set at 1. (Isn't usually a percentage when it isn't a 1:1 ratio?) And it behaves more like a bind spell does than it does the Shadow Prison spell that it's based on. It feels unbalanced.

I get that you don't wanna make spells that stop you from using other spells, but sometimes it makes the spells more interesting. Besides, when I mentioned this to my sister (fluflut), she pointed out that players are unpredictable; if I used this spell on another player, then what? It would put that player at a severe disadvantage. (Couple it with Plague, and suddenly that player becomes utterly helpless and unable to do anything at all, which is a terrible feeling to have as a player. [sucks the fun out of the game a bit for the other player, since they can't do anything at all, while I am still free to do whatever I please.])
See what I mean by balance? If the spell does more damage in exchange for temporarily sacrificing my ability to cast other spells at the same time (or you could sacrifice movement if it's more practical) than the player and their target are on a bit more of a level playing field in that the enemy still has a chance to interrupt the spell and save their ally rather than wait around until the effects wear off. It's a trade-off to make things more interesting. Give a little and gain a little.

Because let's face it: You can make the game as fair as you think you can, but if it isn't fun, then your players will loose interest really fast. Trade-offs like this are important for strategy and to keep things interesting. (It also forces your players to think about their actions instead of just spamming fireball over and over and over again like a freakin' broken record.) If becomming vulnerable or sacrificing movement or creating a spell that requires concentration makes a spell stronger or more useful, (i.e. you can't cast another spell while you are casting this one because it requires you to focus on what you are doing to maintain it), then you can bet your a** that it'll be worth casting. As long as the benefit is worth the risk, that is.

Suggestion: Consider setting spell save DCs for ongoing spells or ongoing damage instead of setting a finite time limit for all your spells. (some things work better when they have the potential to last). The Spell Save DC can be the value used to cast the spell, a set DC, OR a fluctuating DC that you can roll to reset the DC each round, with the caster rolling to set it once a round and the target rolling to try and save once per round on their respective turns. (to simulate one's focus wavering as you try to stay aware of what's also happening on the battlefield.)
Note: the spell must hit the target before you can determine the spell save DC for ongoing effects.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm
Actually, most of Terran's spells were originally designed to be concentration-based spells. (He is manipulating shadows/darkness in it's purest form, after all. It's why I was so confused when you called them OP.) Shadow capture, shadow prison, and (to an extent) tangible shadow (to create a pool of sorts of shadow) were all concentration spells. only the most basic shadow manipulation spells could be cast at the same time as other spells.
Heck, Shadow capture was intended to also reduce the caster's movement while holding a target (because concentrating on the spell and physically holding them in place [using your shadow as something like a proxy to do so] is difficult.])
And the original shadow prison could be countered with poison or a strong light spell. (Poison wouldn't end the spell, but it could turn the spell against the caster by causing it to inflict [poison-type] damage rather than heal. A strong light spell could end the spell by simply overpowering the shadow.)
These spells were also created under the assumption that a person's capacity for magic is not infinite, and that to maintain a spell would require the caster to continue expending energy. Thus, although shadow prison could suck the life out of a captured target to heal, it would also be expending the caster's magical energy to sustain it. So maintaining the spell for an hour would cause the caster to suffer from exhaustion even if they were physically healed. (And it couldn't really deal any damage if there was no health to be regained.) [Although truth be told, Shadow Prison was originally intended to only trap a target within one's shadow (to capture them or to torment them if the caster entered the shadow to inflict mental damage to the target, or simply to abduct them). The vampire-like aspects were added in to complement Terran's racial heritage as a half-vampire because they worked and made sense, requiring much concentration to consciously drain the target's energy. Hope that makes sense...]
(*still kinda depressed that you don't trust me to RP them in a balanced way. Spent a lot of time on those spells, even if I strip them all down to their most basic level ones*)

Also, what's with this spell?:
Xa44
(19)Death- touch a target and lightly heal them, occasionally this spell will do absurd DMG instead

Consider my constructive criticism for a second: Nobody is going to willingly use a spell that occasionally kills the ally they are trying to lightly heal, and nobody is going to use a spell that often heals the enemy that they are trying to kill. (Not in a serious campaign where people grow attached t their PCs at least.) Actually, the only person I can picture using this spell is Fen because he's just too confident to give a damn. (He's more likely to say "oops" when it actually does damage. Because Fen.)
If the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk, then it's pretty much rendered useless to your players. neutral

(on the other hand, good job implementing measured distances for your range. That'll be quite useful. yum_puddi )
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If I may, you should probably give each spell a description of how it'll look. (excluding invisible effects.) I assumed that the spells you based off mine would still look the same even if you changed them a little, but I guess I'm wrong? I need to be able to visualize what I'm casting. Be very descriptive. What do they look like?

*Sigh* What's considered average for HP? (As in total hit points. So I can figure out if 5 hp over 5 turns is even worth the effort of attempting to use VP, or if I'm better off relying on somebody else to heal me in favor of forgoing that spell all together.)

[I'm not going for OP; I'm going for optimized.]  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm
Haru Yates
[
Honestly, they both sound feckin' useless to me. (no offense.)(VP & Disarming darkness)

If that's true, then it doesn't even feel like a true life-steal spell because amount healed is set at 1. (Isn't usually a percentage when it isn't a 1:1 ratio?) And it behaves more like a bind spell does than it does the Shadow Prison spell that it's based on. It feels unbalanced.

I get that you don't wanna make spells that stop you from using other spells, but sometimes it makes the spells more interesting. Besides, when I mentioned this to my sister (fluflut), she pointed out that players are unpredictable; if I used this spell on another player, then what? It would put that player at a severe disadvantage. (Couple it with Plague, and suddenly that player becomes utterly helpless and unable to do anything at all, which is a terrible feeling to have as a player. [sucks the fun out of the game a bit for the other player, since they can't do anything at all, while I am still free to do whatever I please.])
See what I mean by balance? If the spell does more damage in exchange for temporarily sacrificing my ability to cast other spells at the same time (or you could sacrifice movement if it's more practical) than the player and their target are on a bit more of a level playing field in that the enemy still has a chance to interrupt the spell and save their ally rather than wait around until the effects wear off. It's a trade-off to make things more interesting. Give a little and gain a little.

Because let's face it: You can make the game as fair as you think you can, but if it isn't fun, then your players will loose interest really fast. Trade-offs like this are important for strategy and to keep things interesting. (It also forces your players to think about their actions instead of just spamming fireball over and over and over again like a freakin' broken record.) If becomming vulnerable or sacrificing movement or creating a spell that requires concentration makes a spell stronger or more useful, (i.e. you can't cast another spell while you are casting this one because it requires you to focus on what you are doing to maintain it), then you can bet your a** that it'll be worth casting. As long as the benefit is worth the risk, that is.

Suggestion: Consider setting spell save DCs for ongoing spells or ongoing damage instead of setting a finite time limit for all your spells. (some things work better when they have the potential to last). The Spell Save DC can be the value used to cast the spell, a set DC, OR a fluctuating DC that you can roll to reset the DC each round, with the caster rolling to set it once a round and the target rolling to try and save once per round on their respective turns. (to simulate one's focus wavering as you try to stay aware of what's also happening on the battlefield.)
Note: the spell must hit the target before you can determine the spell save DC for ongoing effects.

Being locked into doing nothing because a good spell is going on isn't fun
Also there is no way to stop a person from casting outright even if you are trapped you can still cast, there is never a point where you can be unable to do anything(unless you are KOed) actually you point kinda contradicts itself because if you need to hold concentration on a spell as you are trapped you can't do anything, the only spells that will limit you like that will be something like this

(?)light spell- start focusing on a spell after (time) the spell will deal higher DMG to all foes, if DMGed while focusing this spell does not activate

Because something like this would be great for a tank character because the GM would always need to have everything go attack that player to stop that spell, or if it does go off it feels really rewarding

Also VP has the same healing as Restoration, and Healing Light, the trade off is that it isn't consistent but it stops people from moving and does DMG

And if you think DD is weak then... you haven't played any TCGs because a generic negate like that is really strong, like I actually consider removing it from time to time because of how strong that is  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm
Haru Yates

Death is a spell that I don't think anyone will ever take, but if someone does it will be very hectic and fun(mainly for a one off I would take this for every dark mage) I get if it isn't something you are ok with (that is why no enemys will know the spell) because this spell can be very unfair, but this type of spell is something I feel like can lead to a lot of fun situations if used right(I probably will rebalance this at some point so that it is 50% heal 25% attack 25% nothing but that seems kinda weak if the spell just fails sometimes)

Ok so here is how HP works

You have a starting save of 15 witch is your AC and HP
Depending on what attack is used on you, you will lose a different amount of points to your save, this means the weaker you are the more you can be hit

Armour
Light armour adds to the AC part of your save
Heavy armour makes it so attacks have disadvantage on you

So 5 HP is 1/3 of your HP, but VP doesn't always heal so it will probably only heal 2-3 on avrage witch is pretty strong(but this is actually a really good finisher because you will hit much more)

As for how spells look, I leave that up to you, the way mages cast their spells are all unique, think of the way you cast like handwriting, also this way you can say " I cast fireball out of my mouth"

And as for your old spells, I don't remember you saying they had those restrictions like that, so sorry(please use PSCT) but I feel like spells like that wouldn't feel right in this system, combat will be very fast paced and having spells that slow you down can hurt a lot  

Xa44
Captain

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates
[

Being locked into doing nothing because a good spell is going on isn't fun

Technically you aren't locked into doing a spell when the caster can end the spell at any time.
Xa44
Also there is no way to stop a person from casting outright even if you are trapped you can still cast, there is never a point where you can be unable to do anything(unless you are KOed).

Then what on earth does "Silence" do? Spells that can hinder your enemy's ability to cast spells are kinda a given for debuffs, wouldn't you say?
Xa44
actually you point kinda contradicts itself because if you need to hold concentration on a spell as you are trapped you can't do anything,

Not quite. You can read and walk at the same time, but you can't see where you're going while you do it, so you usually stop moving in order to read.
In the case of a spell, you can willingly end it at any time (or unwillingly end it if something distracts you enough to make you stop and pay attention to something else that's happening). Think of it as the inability to multi-task. Or you can think of it like trying to balance on one foot: you can maintain your balance even while doing other simple things, but if while you are doing this somebody hands you a hula-hoop and tells you to hula, then you will probably fail at both tasks unless you stop doing one of them first.
Xa44
the only spells that will limit you like that will be something like this

(?)light spell- start focusing on a spell after (time) the spell will deal higher DMG to all foes, if DMGed while focusing this spell does not activate

You might have to clarify this. Not sure if it's a punctuation-thing or not, but I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to say with this spell. Are you charging it up or something?

Xa44
Because something like this would be great for a tank character because the GM would always need to have everything go attack that player to stop that spell, or if it does go off it feels really rewarding

Also VP has the same healing as Restoration, and Healing Light, the trade off is that it isn't consistent but it stops people from moving and does DMG

So those spells only restore 1 HP per turn as well? ... that sucks.

Xa44
And if you think DD is weak then... you haven't played any TCGs because a generic negate like that is really strong, like I actually consider removing it from time to time because of how strong that is

I'll admit that I don't play TCGs much. (Played Pokemon by the rules when I was younger, but it's no good when the rest of the kids at school don't know what energy cards were even used for; had a kid try to teach me yu-gi-oh once, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he doesn't know the rules either when he doesn't understand the effect on the card he's playing [so my knowledge of YGO comes from the show/manga, the collection of cards I own, and basic knowledge from how-to-play booklets and abridged]; was introduced to magic the gathering by my friend and my starter deck; and I own starter decks for Gundam, One Piece, and Zatch Bell, but I still can't say I have much experience with TCGs.)

Still, my main argument with this last point is that we aren't playing a TCG. We're playing a RPG with players that can do things that would otherwise be against a TCG's rule set. Yu-gi-oh is a great example of a series where the show breaks the official game rules for the sake of storytelling. (The toon card was flat-out OP in the anime, and time wizard generally works completely different to better suit the story being told.) In the case of DD, it sound like it's just as effective as tripping the enemy with a tree-root (which can interrupt the attack and potentially knock them prone). TCGs provide limited options (based on "the luck of the draw" and deck construction), but there is nothing stopping players in an RPG like this from deviating from what you expect them to do with the spells.

A tabletop RPG is generally meant to simulate life in another world and, just like in real life, not everything is going to happen by the book. We will most definitely think about how we might be able to use these spell outside of battles. (To cause trouble, to fix things, or just to have fun with testing the limits of what we can do. People do that, and if they don't think something is useful, then they'll abandon it.)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Haru Yates

Then what on earth does "Silence" do? Spells that can hinder your enemy's ability to cast spells are kinda a given for debuffs, wouldn't you say?
Xa44
actually you point kinda contradicts itself because if you need to hold concentration on a spell as you are trapped you can't do anything,

Not quite. You can read and walk at the same time, but you can't see where you're going while you do it, so you usually stop moving in order to read.
In the case of a spell, you can willingly end it at any time (or unwillingly end it if something distracts you enough to make you stop and pay attention to something else that's happening). Think of it as the inability to multi-task. Or you can think of it like trying to balance on one foot: you can maintain your balance even while doing other simple things, but if while you are doing this somebody hands you a hula-hoop and tells you to hula, then you will probably fail at both tasks unless you stop doing one of them first.
Xa44
the only spells that will limit you like that will be something like this

You might have to clarify this. Not sure if it's a punctuation-thing or not, but I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to say with this spell. Are you charging it up or something?

Xa44

So those spells only restore 1 HP per turn as well? ... that sucks.

Xa44

I'll admit that I don't play TCGs much. (Played Pokemon by the rules when I was younger, but it's no good when the rest of the kids at school don't know what energy cards were even used for; had a kid try to teach me yu-gi-oh once, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he doesn't know the rules either when he doesn't understand the effect on the card he's playing [so my knowledge of YGO comes from the show/manga, the collection of cards I own, and basic knowledge from how-to-play booklets and abridged]; was introduced to magic the gathering by my friend and my starter deck; and I own starter decks for Gundam, One Piece, and Zatch Bell, but I still can't say I have much experience with TCGs.)

Still, my main argument with this last point is that we aren't playing a TCG. We're playing a RPG with players that can do things that would otherwise be against a TCG's rule set. Yu-gi-oh is a great example of a series where the show breaks the official game rules for the sake of storytelling. (The toon card was flat-out OP in the anime, and time wizard generally works completely different to better suit the story being told.) In the case of DD, it sound like it's just as effective as tripping the enemy with a tree-root (which can interrupt the attack and potentially knock them prone). TCGs provide limited options (based on "the luck of the draw" and deck construction), but there is nothing stopping players in an RPG like this from deviating from what you expect them to do with the spells.

A tabletop RPG is generally meant to simulate life in another world and, just like in real life, not everything is going to happen by the book. We will most definitely think about how we might be able to use these spell outside of battles. (To cause trouble, to fix things, or just to have fun with testing the limits of what we can do. People do that, and if they don't think something is useful, then they'll abandon it.)

Ok silence isn't going to be a thing, you have been doing this a lot so please can I ask that you don't make up random status ailments, there is a reason I don't have a page for that yet because I need to balance them out before they are properly added

If useing a concentration spell is the objectively best thing you could do while you can't move it limits interactions

Yeah you just charge it up

1 HP to 3 characters is 3 HP, 1 HP over every turn can be 99HP, VP can heal up to 5 and is a debuff

Actually this system is based on YGO to some extent(like with PSCT), and also not all spells can be used as a reaction(I do need to make that distinction clearer)  

Xa44
Captain

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates

Death is a spell that I don't think anyone will ever take, but if someone does it will be very hectic and fun(mainly for a one off I would take this for every dark mage) I get if it isn't something you are ok with (that is why no enemys will know the spell) because this spell can be very unfair, but this type of spell is something I feel like can lead to a lot of fun situations if used right(I probably will rebalance this at some point so that it is 50% heal 25% attack 25% nothing but that seems kinda weak if the spell just fails sometimes)

I'd suggest making the damage happen less often (maybe 10-15%?) and make it do less damage so that it's less traumatizing for you players who are already injured. If you plan to use it as more of an attack spell, then do the opposite so that it doesn't discourage your players if it heals.
Better yet, set it 50-50 and increase the amount healed and make it a legendary. (why not make up to 5/100 spells be legendary?)
You can do 25% for attack, but that's still a 1 in 4 chance. At least reduce the damage if you take this route to avoid devastating your players. (As I've said, nobody wants to see their character die after investing so much time into them.) If you plan to let us get ourselves get killed a lot, then at least give us a spell that revives your player's characters. Although Flutflut pointed out to me that it's possible that nobody in the party will choose any healing spells. She said you should plan for this just in case it happens.

A spell failing could be something as simple as trying to cast a spell that makes you fly on a creature that is already flying, but adding a potential risk factor to some spells can be fun. Because when the spell doesn't fail, it's really rewarding because you beat the odds and did something really cool! But when the spell fails, it can put the caster in some unexpected situations. I would assume that if you roll a d20 to cast a spell, but you roll a 3, then the spell either failed, or it missed the target, while rolling a 1 would cause it to backfire, or just to fail to even go off in the first place. (One of my favourite DMs is Matt Mercer. On a failed roll, he'll describe what happens in a way that does not make the character look inadequate, which is great because it doesn't make the player feel like they fail at life. A miss might be interpreted as the target having leaned out of the way, or as the arrow pinging off the armor. Attacks that miss can still end up affecting the battlefield. My point: I respect a GM/DM that can adapt and improvise for the sake of telling a good story. What happens is not necessarily written on any card or spell block, but it's what makes sense and the DM makes the call as they go.)

Xa44
Ok so here is how HP works

You have a starting save of 15 witch is your AC and HP
Depending on what attack is used on you, you will lose a different amount of points to your save, this means the weaker you are the more you can be hit

Makes sense I suppose. Is there a formula for calculating damage here? What are you using to determine the base damage?

Xa44
Armour
Light armour adds to the AC part of your save
Heavy armour makes it so attacks have disadvantage on you

So you are using some sort of advantage/disadvantage system!
Will you be awarding advantage/disadvantage based on situations as well? *hopeful*

Xa44
So 5 HP is 1/3 of your HP, but VP doesn't always heal so it will probably only heal 2-3 on average witch is pretty strong(but this is actually a really good finisher because you will hit much more)

Ok, that makes it seem a little better. (Thank you for the perspective.)
So we each only have about 15 HP... Does this increase at each level? ("+1 hit die per level" maybe?)

Xa44
As for how spells look, I leave that up to you, the way mages cast their spells are all unique, think of the way you cast like handwriting, also this way you can say " I cast fireball out of my mouth"

So does that mean that I can pull a target into my shadow to use VP? because that's what I like to imagine. (Doing that might prevent others from attacking him as well though, which can be good for strategy as it can give the other players a chance to heal themselves in a dire situation, but is likely not a way that you intended the spell to be used [which makes my not being able to freely move/cast while a target is captured a bit more of a gameplay-balancing feature])
Please, please, please? (If not, is there a spell that will allow me to trap a target in my shadow even if it doesn't actually do any damage?)

Xa44
And as for your old spells, I don't remember you saying they had those restrictions like that, so sorry(please use PSCT) but I feel like spells like that wouldn't feel right in this system, combat will be very fast paced and having spells that slow you down can hurt a lot

I believe that I didn't mention them because I had created them with a level-up system in mind that would allow the spells to develop and become stronger as the character grew stronger. (where each spell could be considered a prerequisite for the next spell, adding a minor change for a bigger effect.) I planned to roleplay the character so that he was still learning as he went along, practicing often on his spare time. I argued about basic shadow manipulation being necessary for all of the spells before because I was thinking of the physics behind them (since you kinda need to move shadows in order to get any range or control out of these spells in the first place). If the physics apply by default (as in the spells make the shadows move without needing to manipulate them manually), then I retract that earlier argument. Concentration was my way of staying in control of the spells so that the dark energy maintains it's form instead of dispersing. I figured that the better Terran got at using the spells, the easier they'd become to use (thus requiring less concentration as he approaches max level). The spell level was never intended to be the actual level he learns the spells either. His spells were intended to hinder his enemies, not do outright damage. That's why the ability to make the shadows solid enough to make a projectile attack ended up being necessary: because Terran needed a way to actually attack. A weapon was added as another way to attack because the projectile attack could only be used mid-to-long range and lacked accuracy. (limited in number and could only be fired in one direction, normally all converging on a single point.) The shadow weapon could deal damage like a real weapon, but could be summoned back to his hand at will (like a teleport) and was intended as a way to fight his father. (Because he didn't have many truly offensive options.)
Shadow prison, as I said, was intended to just capture a target while the "drain" aspect was a twist playing off of his being a half-vampire (would have only been achieved near max level). Basic Shadow capture (bind) involved controlling a target by immobilizing their shadow (so if the target's shadow can't move, then neither can the target), and Terran's ability to keep them immobilized depended on his own physical strength, (like a shadow grappling a shadow). Adding the ability to physically force a target to move relied on the exact same mechanic. (move the shadow to move the shadow's owner, but relying on the caster's strength vs the target's ability to resist being pushed or moved.) The ability to block out light involved making the shadow physical (like sludge) and moving it to cover up a light source.
Flood was kind of OP (I'll admit that), but I had only intended to use it once on a weaker enemy (ideally a minion) as a means of showing what happens when rage causes magic to go out of control. It is intended to be overkill because it's a finisher, and it would have an effect that isn't much different from engulfing a target's head in water. It suffocates a target, then it "floods" them when they die or can no longer resist it's effects. The kicker would be that it's so gruesome to watch that even Terran can't watch. (I'm ok with omitting it, but it was damn cool.)

...hope that clarifies it.

Also, if you read through the D&D 5e spells, you'll see some pretty bad-a** spells that are on par with mine in terms of power. It might give you some inspiration for some spells too! (Some are pretty neat!)  
Xa44s RPs

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34 35 36 37 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff