Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:34 am
Calixti
A note: "chai tea" is redundant, as "chai" translates to "tea." There are multiple types of chai though

I'm always looking at people funny when they say chai tea. "Čaj" simply means tea to me and my first reaction is always "...wuh?"

Quote:
Collowrath
I only add milk to my tea if I'm feeling down. Usually though, I simply take it dark and strong, with a cube of sugar. (not in it... the sugar goes in your mouth and you suck the tea past it - I'm not sure where I picked that up.)
That sounds really interesting, but I think that would be too sweet for me. I only use, like, half a teaspoon or so of sugar when I add it to tea.

=) Usually I tell people that I'm not a fan of sweet tea either - but what I really mean is that syrupy heresy my partner makes.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:40 am
Calixti
Aino Ailill
Calixti
TeaDidikai
Aino Ailill
It works fine. ^^ However, it doesn't support that all of the health benefits of tea are ruined by milk. Only one.
And only addresses red teas. ninja
...do people actually add milk to other teas? If so, ew.

I know people who add it to Chai tea and to Green tea. The former, at least in 'smoothie' form, is really good.
A note: "chai tea" is redundant, as "chai" translates to "tea." There are multiple types of chai though--I think masala chai is the most common, but I've got a lovely rooibos chai that I adore. And drink plain or with a teeny touch of honey. biggrin

I know. I read it earlier in the thread. I just didn't remember the actual name and was too lazy to look it up. I have now and apparently Chai requires milk? It is described as a 'spice milk tea.'  

Aino Ailill

Calixti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 am
Collowrath

=) Usually I tell people that I'm not a fan of sweet tea either - but what I really mean is that syrupy heresy my partner makes.
*shudder*

"Sweet tea," to me, means the cold syrupy goop made from boiled teabags that my father and his family drink. It's sooooo gross.

Aino Ailil
I know. I read it earlier in the thread. I just didn't remember the actual name and was too lazy to look it up. I have now and apparently Chai requires milk? It is described as a 'spice milk tea.'
Masala chai definitely needs milk, I'd say. I can't stand it without it. Other types of chai, it really depends on your personal taste. The idea of milk in rooibos chai is just disgusting to me, for instance.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 am
Collowrath
I only add milk to my tea if I'm feeling down. Usually though, I simply take it dark and strong, with a cube of sugar. (not in it... the sugar goes in your mouth and you suck the tea past it - I'm not sure where I picked that up.)

I used to do something similar as a kid. I remember it being delicious, but I don't think I would be able to take the sweet anymore.

As for milk in tea; I had a green tea latte once while I was in Korea. I hated it, and then it made me sick, because I'm lactose intolerant. I can see the idea of putting milk in darker teas, but why put it in green tea? It's totally over powering, you might as well just drink steamed milk.  

Ainwyn

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:34 pm
For me, it entirely depends on the tea most of the time.

I drink english breakfast and strong teas like assam with a dash of milk, and take my masala chai milky.
If I'm feeling a bit sad, nothing makes me feel better like classic black tea with milk and sugar. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 pm
For me, lot of mint tea, green tea, and (currently) Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer. Me am poor, so I have to ake do with what I can get. Would KILL for a proper pot and some loose-leaf Darjeeling, though... whee  

River_Moonwolf

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:14 pm
So, level with me.

A friend of mine has bagged green tea, and when I make that, it doesn't taste anything like the tea that I'm used to.

Tea is supposed to taste good, right?

Though, suppose if it comes bagged, it probably doesn't count as actual tea.. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:16 pm
Maze
So, level with me.

A friend of mine has bagged green tea, and when I make that, it doesn't taste anything like the tea that I'm used to.

Though, suppose if it comes bagged, it probably doesn't count as actual tea.. XD
Yes. Your friend has shitty tea, sorry to say. sad  

Calixti

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:23 pm
Calixti
Maze
So, level with me.

The thing is, she absolutely adores it.

"It's green tea! It's good for you!"

But it.. tastes.. well.. XD;;

I need to find a proper tea-shop around here..  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:19 pm
Maze
Calixti
Maze
So, level with me.

But it.. tastes.. well.. XD;;

Have you looked into ethnic food shops in your area? The Asian and Middle Eastern markets around here stock a few varieties of tea (I get giant tins of Earl Grey at one of the Middle Eastern ones, and big tins of jasmine and unflavoured green are available at any of the Asian ones), and there's a Russian/European market that has a fairly large variety of loose leaf tea.

Health food stores or co-ops, if they have a bulk spice section, sometimes stock tea too--but you'll want to check how the tea is stored, and ask how often they cycle their stock to know if it's any good.

I don't think there even IS a tea shop within Nebraska--but I certainly don't go without, and my go-to teas I don't even have to order online. wink  

Calixti

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:57 pm
Collowrath
Zarf is more for coffee, no? Turkish coffee sets are very elaborate. The method of making coffee is very elaborate as well and is one that I absolutely adore.

Can you show me some sets you like?
I'll see if my aunt will send me some pics. heart But the Zarf is used for tea in my family and amongst other Dom I know. Maybe a cultural or regional qwerk?

Aino Ailill
Does the flavor of tea soak into a cast iron kettle? I know that it can soak into the pots that are used to cook gumbo, jambalaya, shrimp/crawfish creole, etc. when it is cooked often and, as such, cooking it in a pot that has absorbed the flavors adds that extra bit of spice to every new dish.
Tea doesn't season cast iron the same way because of the lack of fats.

Cast iron, when properly cared for, becomes "seasoned". The oils, and sometimes the spices, condition the metal in a way that enhances the character of the pot/pan and makes for fuller, richer and easier to clean meals.

The lack of fat in tea (unless you're part of an African or rural Asian culture... some of them put butter in their tea) doesn't allow for this. That said, Yixing Ware is a porous form of bisque ware and it does absorb the tea. Properly seasoned yixing ware can have hot water poured in without leaves and will pour out tea. heart

That said, you have to be incredibly careful with the quality of the yixing ware in order for it to be safe.

Calixti
...do people actually add milk to other teas? If so, ew.
I cook with other kinds of tea and include milk.

Quote:
Could ween you.
But I like my milky Irish Breakfast! gonk It's okay. I won't hold it against you. ninja

Collowrath
I'm not sure where I picked that up.)
I know of people who take The Green Fairy that way...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Calixti
...I've got a lovely rooibos chai that I adore. And drink plain or with a teeny touch of honey. biggrin
~twitch~ Rooibos is an interesting tisane, but the oxymoron that rooibos chai is makes me twitch.

Aino Ailill
Marsala means spiced. Marsala Chai means spiced tea.

River_Moonwolf
For me, lot of mint tea,
Not tea. Tisane.

Quote:
and (currently) Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer.
Also not tea. Not only is it a tisane, but even Celestial Seasoning's tea doesn't count as tea, but floor sweepings.

Maze

Floor sweepings. 3nodding

That said, given a choice between water and floor sweepings, depending on how the water tastes, I might be able to swallow the floor sweepings. I can't say for sure. I haven't had to put it to the test.

Maze
I have a friend who will take Mad Dog over my home brew. Some people are just strange.
Quote:

Fallacy.
Quote:
Could order online. Most of the ones here in the PacNW I love do mail order.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:05 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
Zarf is more for coffee, no? Turkish coffee sets are very elaborate. The method of making coffee is very elaborate as well and is one that I absolutely adore.

Can you show me some sets you like?
I'll see if my aunt will send me some pics. heart But the Zarf is used for tea in my family and amongst other Dom I know. Maybe a cultural or regional qwerk?

That would be amazing! I'd love to see!

It very well could be a cultural quirk. I don't think anybody's too picky about what goes in it, as long as it's hot and delicious.

Quote:
Collowrath
I'm not sure where I picked that up.)
I know of people who take The Green Fairy that way...

Never tried it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 pm
Collowrath

Email sent. Who knows when she'll read it.

Quote:

Neither have I.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

Email sent. Who knows when she'll read it.

I will be awaiting the response. xd

Quote:
Quote:

Neither have I.

I don't even think we have a local store that will carry it, which I find to be odd considering there is a place on campus that imports slivovica, which I figured wouldn't be in much demand.

*shrug* I prefer teas and coffees anyhow.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games