Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm
saint dreya
You can't blame yourself if jerks get to share in the benefit you give the rest of us.

Certainly. It gets frustrating sometimes. I can't count the many time a friend of mine from home, a retired Marine, and I would get into significantly heated arguments or debates that we fundamentally disagreed on. We would still approach the debate with as much calmness as possible and keep in mind that we were still friends and the others position wouldn't affect (too much) our acceptance of the other.

saint dreya
Wrath of Ezekiel
Stereotypical probably.

Maybe- I've known a lot of military, family, friends and other people who lived on base. I haven't served myself, I'm not able to- but I've heard a bit about what it is like. It's a little hard to believe that all of them have similar experiences without there being a common thread of truth to it.

Meh. It happens. There are a few bullheaded people here who talk about getting into significant altercations with others if they ever had the chance.

There haven't been too many. I see most of it as a method of getting off steam, particularly as they don't go all out, like punching noses or anything. Mostly wrestling or the like.

In fact, the only spouts of significant aggression that the Petty Officers have had to intervene were involving a female acting out (one slapped her ex on the smoke deck and another threw an apple at her boyfriend).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm
As this is a matter of cultural perspective for me, rather than objective morality, I am more than happy to leave matters at agreeing to disagree.
I often also interpret that statement as a diplomatic means of dropping the subject, is this the intention?

On the matter of typical vs healthy...
Jiddu Krishnamurti
It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Those are my sentiments. Now, what one might consider a sick society is sometimes a deeply personal question, other times it is apparently universal. For example, I support consensual and mutual violence. I know many others who find dueling abhorrent. I have yet to find a person who considers non-mutual, non-consensual violence acceptable.
Finding acceptable commonality of view, to me, is the cornerstone of creation of a society and is almost the center of the social contract. When differing cultures lose sight of their commonality, or cannot reach compromise, or even ignorance of each other (basically refusing to ignore behavior they find abhorrent so long as it is "over there") then things walk a road that can lead to very messy and unfortunate places.

If anyone has any Army questions (about a decade stale my experience is, but my scars are no less real for it, and I try to keep abreast of the events of my comrades) please feel free to ask. My response will be matter of fact, my own values on the matter are best not aired... at least not publicly.  

Fiddlers Green

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Fiddlers Green
As this is a matter of cultural perspective for me, rather than objective morality, I am more than happy to leave matters at agreeing to disagree.
I often also interpret that statement as a diplomatic means of dropping the subject, is this the intention?

That was the intention.

Though it's an interesting because if I did reply, it would be a response to my culture's opinion of this.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 pm
Gods be damned! I was specifically telling you I was being serious. I said don't use that word around me because it is a slur.

"It's not a racial slur, it's the description of a person" is not a valid reason as that was a stereotype only perpetuated because that's nearly the only thing they were allowed to do without too much more violence than what they were already experiencing.

Really, do I get offended often? Do I make a big deal over little things?

No. So respect the fact that I'm obviously coming at this from a significant position and back the ******** off.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:09 am
Apparently yesterday was Be Awesome to Tea Day.
My computer was fixed, Isakane bought me a beautiful scarf that is so Me, a random present from Nuri arrived in the mail and my roommate took hubby and I out for dinner. Top that off with a massage at the end of the night.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 am
TeaDidikai
My computer was fixed, Isakane bought me a beautiful scarf that is so Me, a random present from Nuri arrived in the mail and my roommate took hubby and I out for dinner. Top that off with a massage at the end of the night.

See, and I thought that was at least a month long event. wink  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 pm
saint dreya
TeaDidikai

See, and I thought that was at least a month long event. wink

If it isn't, it damn well should be.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:09 pm
Wrath of Ezekiel
That was the intention.

Though it's an interesting because if I did reply, it would be a response to my culture's opinion of this.

Interesting.
I've recently been re-examining some of my own values and picking apart whether I hold them because I Know them, or because I am culturally attached to them, and how much impact that difference in origin makes on my intensity of devotion to them. Then again, if being contrary is a virtue in one's culture that could make the matter somewhat foggy.
Oh, continuing this in the general abstracted of cultural vs inherent mores, rather than the particular flash point is acceptable?  

Fiddlers Green

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:43 pm
TeaDidikai

Wow, I'm impressed AND jealous!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:11 pm
TeaDidikai

Hope you enjoy it!  

maenad nuri
Captain

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:13 am
Fiddlers Green
Wrath of Ezekiel
That was the intention.

Interesting.
I've recently been re-examining some of my own values and picking apart whether I hold them because I Know them, or because I am culturally attached to them, and how much impact that difference in origin makes on my intensity of devotion to them. Then again, if being contrary is a virtue in one's culture that could make the matter somewhat foggy.
Oh, continuing this in the general abstracted of cultural vs inherent mores, rather than the particular flash point is acceptable?

Well, I wanted to make some sort of response without a screaming bitchfit argument happening.

And finally I removed the ******** demon off my Facebook. I think calling me politically naive when I'm heavily involved in the school's government in a few ways is ******** insulting. Just because I'm "a ******** "hippie" environment student that doesn't want a Starbucks in his new building." Seriously, Starbucks just goes against half the ethis the faculty preaches, even from a staff level.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:10 pm
Wrath of Ezekiel
And finally I removed the ******** demon off my Facebook. I think calling me politically naive when I'm heavily involved in the school's government in a few ways is ******** insulting. Just because I'm "a ******** "hippie" environment student that doesn't want a Starbucks in his new building." Seriously, Starbucks just goes against half the ethis the faculty preaches, even from a staff level.

Starbucks is the split-tailed mermaid coffee, right?  

Maze

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 pm
Wrath of Ezekiel
Well, I wanted to make some sort of response without a screaming bitchfit argument happening.

Ah very good then.

Quote:

~Loathes Starbucks and everything it stands for~
Naivety comes in many forms. It is a popular insult to level politically. In fact, making the opposition seem foolishly trusting or unaware of the realities of the situation is a tried and true tactic of swaying public opinion. That having been said, I catch myself levying the same insult against anti-regulation, excessively laissez faire, proponents of corporate identity and rights.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:36 pm
Being a non-coffee drinker, what's the controversy of Starbucks? That it takes away from local-owned coffee houses?  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 pm
Taliah
Being a non-coffee drinker, what's the controversy of Starbucks? That it takes away from local-owned coffee houses?

Well essentially, especially since each of the six faculties of the school, have their own undergraduate student-run coffee shop. That's the main criticism, is that the faculty promised the student society that they would be consulted on the process of the cafeteria in the new building (I even remember them saying so last fall), but they never did so. It's creeped into the campus grapevine so much that the dean of the faculty basically emailed everybody even affiliated with the faculty.

Ugh, everything is going wrong with everything. If someone hasn't graduated yet, but they've been to five of the past national press conferences, is it wrong to tell them they can't in favour of new volunteers?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games