Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm
I'm from a violent culture.
You mouth off at someone, you are likely to be struck. You slander someone, you are likely to be struck. You lie about someone and they catch you, well, you'll wish they stop after the first strike. It is important to note that criminal assault does not occur unless it is unprovoked or involves a weapon.
Children in this culture are raised with the understanding that reprisal for wrong doings will be swift and painful. The matter will also be considered done afterwards.

It took me a long time to adapt to other cultures, I initially thought that they were consequence free environments, as people were atrocious to each other, lied, slandered and perjured with apparent impunity. I would eventually understand that the consequences were entirely social, and would often keep cropping up for years after the fact.

The large difference is, my home culture does not consider physical harm to be worse than harm to reputation. It does not consider small acts of violence worse than the blaspheme of lying and slandering one's neighbor. Respect is consider just as vital as health. In other places, I have observed, it would seem that physical violence is considered the worst thing one can do to another person. This was jarring and counter intuitive to me.

I personally despise whisper wars, but that is entirely a subjective call. It would behoove many people to remember the difference between what is objectively true and what they would prefer to be objectively true.

Edit:Also, do keep in mind, we exist in a very delicate state. Violence has a long history in humanity, and it isn't disappearing. The relatively peaceful portions of modern society are not adamant nor comprehensive. Love it or hate it, violence is a very real part of the human experience. Living in abject revulsion and fear of it may leave one unprepared to deal with it if it does break out around one.
Also, be mindful of calling people out on their cultural mores. Some of them may be divinely mandated. That is not a point of consternation that is easily put to rest.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Just so you know Fiddler, I always appreciate your input on things. You seem to give both sides a fair amount of thought, and said respectfully while being informative. The world needs more people like you.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Violence may be part of our culture, but that doesn't make it right.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm
All I will say to the debate on the last few pages, which while I wanted to somehow contribute, is that I agree to disagree with Fiddler and Shearaha.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 pm
so, i've got an ex of an ex stalking me online now, trolling me everywhere i go. i keep blocking it and ignoring it but it keeps coming and i dont know what to do. i thought if you didnt feed trolls they'd go away, i guess that was wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 pm
Esiris
Violence may be part of our culture, but that doesn't make it right.

My barracks is co ed. The second deck is for males, the third for females.

The males used to get into some pretty nasty situations with each other, so as an attempt to diffuse those situations, they would engage in something akin to "Fight Club" and have at each other on the second deck. They'd come away after with the situation solved and both parties could work together, might even be joking with each other and partying the following weekend.

The females seem to have larger spats and they continue to fester, gossip and whispers being the primary weapon. There might be some yelling matches, or even some pissing contests, but nothing as physical or violent as the males. This tends to tear any cohesion on the female deck as those who "allied" themselves with a particular party are forced to choose a side. These spats might last months at a time and have on occasion affected work.

I sometimes wonder if a "Fight Club" on the female deck might improve the cooperation...

Strega Mama
so, i've got an ex of an ex stalking me online now, trolling me everywhere i go. i keep blocking it and ignoring it but it keeps coming and i dont know what to do. i thought if you didnt feed trolls they'd go away, i guess that was wrong.

Some trolls tend to be a bit more stubborn and live off of their own fecal matter for an extended time. They'll eventually find less and less nutritional value in it.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm
saint dreya

The males used to get into some pretty nasty situations with each other, so as an attempt to diffuse those situations, they would engage in something akin to "Fight Club" and have at each other on the second deck. They'd come away after with the situation solved and both parties could work together, might even be joking with each other and partying the following weekend.

The females seem to have larger spats and they continue to fester, gossip and whispers being the primary weapon. There might be some yelling matches, or even some pissing contests, but nothing as physical or violent as the males. This tends to tear any cohesion on the female deck as those who "allied" themselves with a particular party are forced to choose a side. These spats might last months at a time and have on occasion affected work.

I sometimes wonder if a "Fight Club" on the female deck might improve the cooperation...

The whole thing sounds unhealthy.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:45 pm
I think the majority of the world sounds unhealthy.  

Maze

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 pm
Maze
I think the majority of the world sounds unhealthy.

I think you're right. I'm hoping that we can change it though.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:37 am
Esiris
saint dreya

The whole thing sounds unhealthy.

Sounds like a healthy group of soldiers to me. The males anyway.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 am
Shearaha

It strikes me as typical, not healthy.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 am
Demented Beauty
Mark my words, if this petition [to remove a racial slur from an item name] is carried through and you guys actually WIN, I will make a petition to change it back to the way it was.

This...this makes me...

I question my reasoning to defend asshats like this. I question my reasons to volunteer in a military that has these inconsiderate shitlickers behind me, back home. I question my service when it's people like this who make peace an imaginary quest.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am
Esiris
Shearaha

It strikes me as typical, not healthy.

Stereotypical probably.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 pm
saint dreya
Demented Beauty
Mark my words, if this petition [to remove a racial slur from an item name] is carried through and you guys actually WIN, I will make a petition to change it back to the way it was.

This...this makes me...

I question my reasoning to defend asshats like this. I question my reasons to volunteer in a military that has these inconsiderate shitlickers behind me, back home. I question my service when it's people like this who make peace an imaginary quest.

I think people who serve in the military (like most of my family and friends) do so for people like you and those who signed in favor of the petition- for all the good people here at home.

You can't blame yourself if jerks get to share in the benefit you give the rest of us.

Wrath of Ezekiel

Stereotypical probably.

Maybe- I've known a lot of military, family, friends and other people who lived on base. I haven't served myself, I'm not able to- but I've heard a bit about what it is like. It's a little hard to believe that all of them have similar experiences without there being a common thread of truth to it.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:07 pm
Ugh. Talking to Mama is a bit like a kick to the chest.
At least there's a chance I might get a sponsor for NaNoWriMo.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games