Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 am
Bought Horus Rising and read it's first chapter. Good stuff so far.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:35 am
Anybody around here get their hands on "Let the Galaxy Burn!" as of yet?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

MrToad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:29 pm
vaholm
I know this is off topic, but there is no where else to put it.

Have any of you ever read any of those books by George R R Martin? They keep getting mentioned in WD and I was wondering if they are any good.
All four, baby! and we're looking at 3 more.
Yeah, he's awesome. It's low fantasy, as they mentioned in WD, so there's less fantasy and more dirt, and every character has a flaw, but I highly recommend it. They're huge books, and they read more like historical fiction than fantasy, esp. the first, but that only makes the occasional magic spell or dragon more interesting.
The downsides are that they have enough sex in enough detail to seem a little perverted (not that much sex, but still notable amounts), they're really long, and sometimes hard to understand (maybe 15 protagonists, and about 10 fictional civilizations w/ their own religions, traditions, and politics.) He likes to make up midaeval slang words that take a couple pages to understand what they mean (like "scorpion" means ballista, and "manticore" means scorpion the animal).
But very well thought out, very detailed, some of the best character development i've ever read; as an omniscient reader with no central main character, you have the pleasure of picking who to root for.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:31 pm
Im still waiting on 'Let the Galaxy Burn' hope its out soon. Just started THe Last Chancers omnibus, its good so far.  

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:58 am
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Got me a copy of Let the Galaxy Burn! Thirty eight stories of old and new! No offense, but screw you guys, I got something better to do! whee  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 am
Lt. Brookman
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Got me a copy of Let the Galaxy Burn! Thirty eight stories of old and new! No offense, but screw you guys, I got something better to do! whee

Rephrase from the above, while the book is packed with a crapload of good stories, most of them are just reprints from other anthology books or from the WD. The only real new story in it is the one of Abnett "Playing Patience", which tells the past of Patience Kys.

Oh yeah, it's also got "Wrath of Kharn", one of the best short stories ever produced by BL.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:25 pm
They still need to finish up the Inquisition war...what happened to Grimm and Lex? and they also need an Conclusion to Eisenhorn...what does he go around doing, especially with Cherubael?  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:15 am
[J]ack [K]rauser
They still need to finish up the Inquisition war...what happened to Grimm and Lex? and they also need an Conclusion to Eisenhorn...what does he go around doing, especially with Cherubael?

Inquisition Wars is done, as is Eisenhorn. Some things are best left that way.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:53 am
Black Library announcement.

Quote:
11/05/2006 : Ravenor Rides Again
No rest for Mr Abnett. Having finished The Armour of Contempt, the 10th Gaunt's Ghosts novel, he's now hard at work on the third Ravenor novel. Ravenor Rogue continues the story of Inquisitor Ravenor and his team as they pursue their nemesis into the furthest reaches of space, and beyond. This being the final book of the first Ravenor story arc, expect some great character stories and plot twists. Ravenor Rogue (hardback) wil be hitting the streets (not literally, one hopes) next Easter.

Fffffffffffffffeck! A whole year away!  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 pm
i feel really stupid asking this but in horus rising is that where horus turns to chaos???  

firewarrior2424

menoftanith

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:28 am
kind of the first one kicks off just after hourus has been made warmaster and follows lorken of the mournvail but the others are going to be written by differnt people so may not be from the same view point  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:42 pm
MrToad
vaholm
I know this is off topic, but there is no where else to put it.

Have any of you ever read any of those books by George R R Martin? They keep getting mentioned in WD and I was wondering if they are any good.
All four, baby! and we're looking at 3 more.
Yeah, he's awesome. It's low fantasy, as they mentioned in WD, so there's less fantasy and more dirt, and every character has a flaw, but I highly recommend it. They're huge books, and they read more like historical fiction than fantasy, esp. the first, but that only makes the occasional magic spell or dragon more interesting.
The downsides are that they have enough sex in enough detail to seem a little perverted (not that much sex, but still notable amounts), they're really long, and sometimes hard to understand (maybe 15 protagonists, and about 10 fictional civilizations w/ their own religions, traditions, and politics.) He likes to make up midaeval slang words that take a couple pages to understand what they mean (like "scorpion" means ballista, and "manticore" means scorpion the animal).
But very well thought out, very detailed, some of the best character development i've ever read; as an omniscient reader with no central main character, you have the pleasure of picking who to root for.

I read them all. A fine yarn thus far (love Tryion -what a smart a** eh?). Now I am doing a Vampire Count Blood Dragon force based on the concept of an entire army of Others.  

vaholm

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:21 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:55 pm
I heard in the 9th or 10th Gaunt's Ghosts book that at the very beginning, Gaunt dies.  

Warlord Kartanus

7,550 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:58 am
Dan Abnett
I'm midway through the next Gaunt - The Armour of Contempt, which will be followed this year by the third Ravenor - Ravenor Rogue, and, by popular demand, the sequel to Double Eagle, which will be called Interceptor City. There's also an Iron Snakes Space Marine novel on its way, and my Warhammer pirate novel, Fell Cargo just came out. That was so much fun to write. There's a couple of other secret projects that I'm not allowed to talk about yet because they're... well, secret.

Read the rest of the interview here: http://www.blacklibrary.com/articles/horus-int-dan.asp  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games