Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 am
zz1000zz
Priestley
I read 'A Brief History of Time' once. It twisted my melon. I tried reading it through again, got halfway through and couldn't stomach the rest. I consider myself to be fairly smart but my brain couldn't get to grips with the material even when the choice morcels were mashed up into babyfood for me.

Honestly, I never even looked at that book. People keep telling me about it, but I do not care to spend money on it, and they never have it handy.

Libraries are handy for that kind of thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 am
Would it impress anyone if I said that I've read War and Peace? ninja

It's not actually that difficult reading, I don't think. It's just hella long. I got to about 300 pages from finished and the only reason I didn't is because I left it at a friends house in the next state and never got it back
gonk  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 am
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7
The Fountainhead is amazing, by the way.

I always viewed The Fountainhead as an author wanting to espouse a philosophy, but knowing she would fail as an actual philosopher. By making her literary work nothing but vessels for her personal philosophy, she destroyed any value the work could have had.

Wow thanks so much for that. I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to form opinions of books on my own. And my opinion is that it is a very well written book that makes me think. See? I can think too!

It is usually after posts like this that people accuse me of having an attitude. My post was calm and reasoned. The response to it was irrational and filled with attitude, and was not directed at anything I actually said.

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people act like they know everything.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 pm
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7

I always viewed The Fountainhead as an author wanting to espouse a philosophy, but knowing she would fail as an actual philosopher. By making her literary work nothing but vessels for her personal philosophy, she destroyed any value the work could have had.

Wow thanks so much for that. I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to form opinions of books on my own. And my opinion is that it is a very well written book that makes me think. See? I can think too!

It is usually after posts like this that people accuse me of having an attitude. My post was calm and reasoned. The response to it was irrational and filled with attitude, and was not directed at anything I actually said.

How did I "act like know everything"? My post started with, "I always viewed," which makes it clear it was just my opinion. Your post said nothing to indicate it was just an opinion.

So if anything, only you are guilty of what you accused me.

zz1000zz
Crew

BluePoisons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:06 pm
I just received the Orphaned Anythings by Stephen Christian(from the band Anberlin). ^^ It's not like other books, grammaticaly. But it's pretty good so far.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 pm
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7

How did I "act like know everything"? My post started with, "I always viewed," which makes it clear it was just my opinion. Your post said nothing to indicate it was just an opinion.

So if anything, only you are guilty of what you accused me.
You know, it might have helped if you had offered your own reading list to begin with instead of having to be asked.

It rather seemed as thought you ONLY posted for the purpose of offering critcism.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm
Ixor-san
You know, it might have helped if you had offered your own reading list to begin with instead of having to be asked.

I was not interested in doing so though. I read too many books, so making a list of books I read is usually daunting. Since everyone else was discussing books, not just listing them, I thought I would participate too.

Ixor-san
It rather seemed as thought you ONLY posted for the purpose of offering critcism.

I did. I looked at the last post in the topic to see if there were any books I could discuss. As it happened, there was one book which I happened to know. It is just chance that the book happened to be one I disliked, rather than one I liked. Would my post have been just as presumptuous if I had offered a similarly worded post praising The Foutainhead?

If not, I do not see how I can be faulted.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 pm
zz1000zz
Ixor-san

I was not interested in doing so though. I read too many books, so making a list of books I read is usually daunting. Since everyone else was discussing books, not just listing them, I thought I would participate too.

Ixor-san

I did. I looked at the last post in the topic to see if there were any books I could discuss. As it happened, there was one book which I happened to know. It is just chance that the book happened to be one I disliked, rather than one I liked. Would my post have been just as presumptuous if I had offered a similarly worded post praising The Foutainhead?

Y'know, you don't always have to be criticizing something in order to take part in a discussion. confused

Try saying something positive once in a while. People might not find you so disagreeable if you weren't always disagreeing with everything.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:36 pm
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
Ixor-san

Ixor-san

Y'know, you don't always have to be criticizing something in order to take part in a discussion. confused

Try saying something positive once in a while. People might not find you so disagreeable if you weren't always disagreeing with everything.

I say plenty of positive things. It is just a matter of what topics are being discussed.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 pm
Ok. Here's an idea. You pick the next topic of conversation. I really would like to be able to have a good-natured conversation with you. That's why I wanted this thread. I figured it would promote some kind of harmony. Debates can get pretty heated and it's nice to be able to remember that there's a regular, worthwhile human being behind those controversial views.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:58 pm
I do think it's unfair that zz1000zz is having to repeatedly state his neutral intentions whenever someone has an issue with his criticisms.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:04 pm
Priestley
I do think it's unfair that zz1000zz is having to repeatedly state his neutral intentions whenever someone has an issue with his criticisms.
This is not the place for neutral. It's not a debate thread. It's supposed to be light-hearted and happy. HAPPEEEEEEEEE darn you!!!

*shakes you by the shoulders and looks maniacal*

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:05 pm
Ixor-san
Priestley
This is not the place for neutral. It's not a debate thread. It's supposed to be light-hearted and happy. HAPPEEEEEEEEE darn you!!!

*stuffs a sammich in your mouf*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:07 pm
Priestley
Ixor-san
Priestley

*blinks and scarfs down the sammich*

Mm...I was hungry
xd  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm
Ixor-san
Priestley
Ixor-san
Priestley

*blinks and scarfs down the sammich*

Mm...I was hungry
xd

That wasn't a maniacal look, then?  

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games