Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Iron Harlot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:56 am
Hawk Atreides
Iron Harlot
It cuts deep and I can't blame a lot of trans folk for not wanting to participate anymore. I call the community GL... b.............(t?) for a reason.
And of course, the 'q' is off in the corner wondering if anyone wants to talk to it. A local college's GSA didn't want anything to do with a trans friend of mine, either - so she started her own club. And then promptly lost it due to claims from the GSA that such a club already existed...that being the GSA.

Yep. It's a hierarchy with s**t tons of bigotry in it. Pisses me off.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm
Iron Harlot
Yep. It's a hierarchy with s**t tons of bigotry in it. Pisses me off.
Believe me, I know. I'm GQ - it pisses me off to no end too.  

Hawk Atreides

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 pm
I hate to ask, but is there a list or something of these gender, sex, and/or sexual preference terms? I'm having difficulties understanding the outrage, because I'm not quite sure who's being shoved aside.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 pm
AniMajor
I hate to ask, but is there a list or something of these gender, sex, and/or sexual preference terms? I'm having difficulties understanding the outrage, because I'm not quite sure who's being shoved aside.

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgendered
Two-Spirit
Questioning
Queer
Intersexed
Allies

The first part of the discussion usually focuses on GLBT or LGBT. Gay Lesbian Bi and Trans v. Lesbian Gay Bi and Trans- it's a response to the hardship experienced by Lesbians and their struggle to gain the acceptance that gay men were winning at the beginning of the "Gay Rights Movement".

There are lots of hierarchies in the community that involve who gets to snub and look down on who- even amongst the subgroups themselves.

Trans men and women are shuffled off to the side because popular fears don't see them as people doing what's right for themselves, but as scary strangers trying to trick them.

Bisexuals get the short end of the stick- being told to "pick!" Like straight and gay are the only options and anyone who likes both is either confused or just being edgy.

Two-Spirit and Third Gendered and other groups usually aren't represented at all.

Queer is used as a positive "catch all" by some, but is seen as degrading by others. Some people use it to refer to gay men exclusively as well.

Intersexed is about congenital conditions that affect sex.

Allies are usually straight cissexuals who support those already mentioned.

All the problems that come from people not really understanding gender and sexuality mean that even amongst people who face a similar struggle, we alienate people because we see them as a threat to success in our struggle.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:49 pm
Ugh. I wish people would check snopes before forwarding emotionally manipulative chain letters.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:00 pm
Esiris
Ugh. I wish people would check snopes before forwarding emotionally manipulative chain letters.

Occasionally you'll come across a chain letter that says "I checked Snopes and this is TRUE!", when Snopes clearly says it's false.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Hawk Atreides

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 pm
AniMajor
Mine is "genderqueer" - more accurately, I'm an almost 50/50 androgyne split when it comes to gender identity. I'm not gay, I'm not trans, I'm not even remotely gender dysphoric. I'm just a big girl sometimes, and not (well, not only) in the derogatory connotations thereof.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:09 pm
AniMajor
Esiris

Occasionally you'll come across a chain letter that says "I checked Snopes and this is TRUE!", when Snopes clearly says it's false.

At that point, I reserve the right to hit people with a live chicken.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 am
Esiris
AniMajor
Esiris

What did the chicken do eek ?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am
AniMajor
Esiris

Could be worse. There are always the ones who send you "such-and-such celebrity wrote this racist e-mail and it's SO TRUE". Not only do you check Snopes and find out it was originally a Stormfront posting, you then can't look that person in the eye anymore.  

Hawk Atreides

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:35 am
Shearaha
Esiris
AniMajor
Esiris

Don't worry. The chicken likes it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am
Esiris
Shearaha
Esiris
AniMajor
Esiris

Don't worry. The chicken likes it.

Ah, all right then. I just wondered what type of awful crim the chicken had to have commited to be forced into such proximity with the stupid and gullable.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:39 pm
You know hearing all this stuff about the LGBT makes me sad. A recent service review from my university say that our campus LGBT group isn't doing enough to service the non-LG. And it's perfectly true, most of our volunteers including myself, are cis-gendered homosexual males.

It's the main reason I read the ED Transgender thread every time it gets new posts. We got an extra sum of money from council who wanted us to succeed in our new focus. (Yay, more money for the library!)

My main focus for the next two terms as Director of Peer Support and Resources is expanding our base in terms of resources for the other groups in the spectrum. Our aforementioned library has a paltry number of books on (trans-)gender and absolutely nothing on other groups (bisexuals and lesbians have the largest number, surprisingly enough). The book situation has let itself go that way because it has been organized alphabetically for so long, that when I reorganized by genre, it was a bit cringe-worthy.

Our biggest problem and concern is that we need volunteers for the other acronyms of the spectrum to make it happen. It's hard enough to make a trans-related event if there are no transgendered people telling what us what's appropriate or not or are visible enough to help run it (we have one volunteer, but they don't to be visible until they've fully transitioned).

Thankfully, we're fortunate enough to have bisexuals and transgendered (and one of our sensitivity training teachers is two-spirited!) people who are willing to help. Now it's time for the asexuals and pansexuals.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm
Wrath of Ezekiel
You know hearing all this stuff about the LGBT makes me sad. A recent service review from my university say that our campus LGBT group isn't doing enough to service the non-LG. And it's perfectly true, most of our volunteers including myself, are cis-gendered homosexual males.

It's the main reason I read the ED Transgender thread every time it gets new posts. We got an extra sum of money from council who wanted us to succeed in our new focus. (Yay, more money for the library!)

My main focus for the next two terms as Director of Peer Support and Resources is expanding our base in terms of resources for the other groups in the spectrum. Our aforementioned library has a paltry number of books on (trans-)gender and absolutely nothing on other groups (bisexuals and lesbians have the largest number, surprisingly enough). The book situation has let itself go that way because it has been organized alphabetically for so long, that when I reorganized by genre, it was a bit cringe-worthy.

Our biggest problem and concern is that we need volunteers for the other acronyms of the spectrum to make it happen. It's hard enough to make a trans-related event if there are no transgendered people telling what us what's appropriate or not or are visible enough to help run it (we have one volunteer, but they don't to be visible until they've fully transitioned).

Thankfully, we're fortunate enough to have bisexuals and transgendered (and one of our sensitivity training teachers is two-spirited!) people who are willing to help. Now it's time for the asexuals and pansexuals.
I would say do as much as you can. Keep up the call. Let it be known that they're wanted, by somebody.  

Gho the Girl

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:24 pm
What the hell Gaia?
I know I drank a Gender Bender Potion, not a Race Bender Potion!?!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games