Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:52 pm
Really? Huh, I'd heard the opposite.

Meh well. It was only a mild interest. I kinda tend more towards fantasy novels.

The one story I wanna get working on is a fantasy based on a world I made for an RP on Gaia and the other is about an evil overlord
xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 am
Ixor-san
I've been wanting to read through the Discworld books again.

Yeah, I saw a documentary about Terry Pratchett's alzheimers and remembered getting my 'Reaper Man' signed by him, so I've picked it up and I'm reading little bits of it at a time.  

Priestley

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36 pm
Right now I really need to read the full Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series... eventually...

But the Red Tent is great- love it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:33 pm
Priestley
Ixor-san

Yeah, I saw a documentary about Terry Pratchett's alzheimers and remembered getting my 'Reaper Man' signed by him, so I've picked it up and I'm reading little bits of it at a time.
He is still writing, though, isn't he? Kinda sounded like he had no intention of just lying down and dying. Though, the article I happened across was awfully short. Just a snippet, really.

I have read the entire Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy biggrin

Oo! That was another big thing on my reading list-The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Never read that, either.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Xandris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:32 pm
Ixor-san

I've wanted to read through them once. xd

Mmmmmm, the Kushiel's Legacy books are SO good. While I read a lot, I actually KEEP very few books. If I can add another few to your list... In Legend Born by Laura Resnick, and it's two sequels The White Dragon and The Destroyer Goddess. And, apparently, there's two more coming. Glad I found that out. cool

Although right now I'm trying to chomp my way through the Dune series. Wish me luck. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 pm
I'm reading Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.
The Fountainhead is amazing, by the way.  

saki_hanajima7

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:59 pm
saki_hanajima7

I always viewed The Fountainhead as an author wanting to espouse a philosophy, but knowing she would fail as an actual philosopher. By making her literary work nothing but vessels for her personal philosophy, she destroyed any value the work could have had.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:04 pm
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7

I always viewed The Fountainhead as an author wanting to espouse a philosophy, but knowing she would fail as an actual philosopher. By making her literary work nothing but vessels for her personal philosophy, she destroyed any value the work could have had.
Sooooo.....

What kind of stuff do you like to read?

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 pm
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7

Wow thanks so much for that. I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to form opinions of books on my own. And my opinion is that it is a very well written book that makes me think. See? I can think too!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm
Ixor-san
Priestley
Ixor-san

He is still writing, though, isn't he? Kinda sounded like he had no intention of just lying down and dying. Though, the article I happened across was awfully short. Just a snippet, really.

I saw the second part of the documentary this evening. I don't know whether you can view BBC iPlayer content outside the UK but here's the first part. The second part is linked below it.

Yes, he's still writing the next book. You'll find out exactly how he intends to carry on in the conclusion of the second part.

Priestley

Autie Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:45 pm
I'm reading The Science Behind House M.D.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:52 pm
Autie Lady
I'm reading The Science Behind House M.D.

Is it Lupus?  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 pm
saki_hanajima7
zz1000zz
saki_hanajima7

Wow thanks so much for that. I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to form opinions of books on my own. And my opinion is that it is a very well written book that makes me think. See? I can think too!

It is usually after posts like this that people accuse me of having an attitude. My post was calm and reasoned. The response to it was irrational and filled with attitude, and was not directed at anything I actually said.

On a lighter note, here is a list of books (those within arms reach) I have read recently.

Quote:
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - A History of Nazi Germany
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (Douglas Adams)
The Third Wave (Alvin Toffler)
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Section 31, Rogue
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
Not For Sale at Any Price (Ros Perot)
Paved With Good Intentions (Barry Rubin)
Bulfinch's Mythology (Thomas Bulfinch)
With No Apologies (Barry Goldwater)
The Cuckoo's Egg
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Frederick Nietzsche)

Aside from the Ros Perot book, I liked each of those books. The end of the Douglas Adams book was a bit weak though (it seemed missing about ten pages). That list is far from representative of what I like. It has far more non-fiction than it should, and it does not have as wide a range as it could. Still, it should give you an idea of what I read.

P.S. The book I keep wanting to get is Locos: A Comedy of Gestures by Felipe Alfau. It is the greatest book ever written.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm
I read 'A Brief History of Time' once. It twisted my melon. I tried reading it through again, got halfway through and couldn't stomach the rest. I consider myself to be fairly smart but my brain couldn't get to grips with the material even when the choice morcels were mashed up into babyfood for me.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 pm
Priestley
I read 'A Brief History of Time' once. It twisted my melon. I tried reading it through again, got halfway through and couldn't stomach the rest. I consider myself to be fairly smart but my brain couldn't get to grips with the material even when the choice morcels were mashed up into babyfood for me.

Honestly, I never even looked at that book. People keep telling me about it, but I do not care to spend money on it, and they never have it handy.  

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games