Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:34 pm

wow. when i worked on a univeristy newspaper as a volunteer editor, all articles were assigned at meetings on wednesdays (we ran bi-weekly tuesdays and thursdays), or were submissions by journalism majors as assignments. It was always at the EICs discretion to run anything we didn't assign. For example, someone wrote an article about the increased tobacco tax in NH, and because it took a moral stance (saying poor smokers, why are they being singled out and treated so poorly, etc) we didn't run it. not because we agreed or disagreed, but because it wasn't supposed to be an opinion article.
I'm curious what he was trying to get printed that was a liability, and why it was so very important to him. I remember having to call writers and ask them about changes (read: tell them what they wrote read like crap and that I was going to fix it for them so TNH doesn't look like a bunch of kiddies), and never had any issues because they were so desperate to get published. This guy must think he's something special. Have you shown it to the school? If he's a journalism major, I think the journalism dept. head might want to have a look at that (threats aren't protected speech!).

I could be way off here though.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Today, I called my dad ot talk about the World Cup since we both care about football.

And he didn't know who I was.

Calixti

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Calixti
Today, I called my dad ot talk about the World Cup since we both care about football.

*hugs*
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Calixti

*hug* as well. I know the feeling, though not with my dad.

Arden Deschain

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Calixti

*hug* times three.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Arden Deschain
wow. when i worked on a univeristy newspaper as a volunteer editor, all articles were assigned at meetings on wednesdays (we ran bi-weekly tuesdays and thursdays), or were submissions by journalism majors as assignments. It was always at the EICs discretion to run anything we didn't assign. For example, someone wrote an article about the increased tobacco tax in NH, and because it took a moral stance (saying poor smokers, why are they being singled out and treated so poorly, etc) we didn't run it. not because we agreed or disagreed, but because it wasn't supposed to be an opinion article.
I'm curious what he was trying to get printed that was a liability, and why it was so very important to him. I remember having to call writers and ask them about changes (read: tell them what they wrote read like crap and that I was going to fix it for them so TNH doesn't look like a bunch of kiddies), and never had any issues because they were so desperate to get published. This guy must think he's something special. Have you shown it to the school? If he's a journalism major, I think the journalism dept. head might want to have a look at that (threats aren't protected speech!).

I could be way off here though.

This is our problem. Our university doesn't have a journalism program. Despite this, we rank consistently amongst the top campus papers. Our EIC is usually hired on the basis of experience (our previous EIC was a volunteer for four years previous and our new one graduated in journalism and was working in a news station for the past two years).

There were break-ins at our university that were at gun point (remember Canada, strict gun laws). He took the story. It was good, but he went further in his investigations and attempted to break into each residence to prove how easily one could get in and wanted to exemplify it. Obviously, that's a liability so they cut down his news article to the basics.

Right now, a few people in the office are terrified that he might try to burn the office down, as he as displayed his contempt to our paper by burning issues and posting the photos on Facebook.

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Yikes! Is the school planning on responding to this?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:46 pm

saw adam sandler wearing a UNH shirt in the trailer for his new movie. Homesick again. crying

Arden Deschain

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:17 am

Only one more week until I don't have to deal with my sister's incessant drama anymore.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm

AniMajor
Only one more week until I don't have to deal with my sister's incessant drama anymore.

I hope it goes quickly. Drama isn't good for anyone but TV networks.

Collowrath

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Collowrath

I think my sister just expects drama from our family or her friends, so she creates it if there isn't any.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:23 pm

AniMajor
Collowrath

I think my sister just expects drama from our family or her friends, so she creates it if there isn't any.

So does my father. He so desperately needs something to be upset at he'll shout at a commercial on the TV.

That kind of atmosphere isn't good for one's mental health.

Collowrath

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Collowrath
So does my father. He so desperately needs something to be upset at he'll shout at a commercial on the TV.

That kind of atmosphere isn't good for one's mental health.

I mean, I love my family, but I'm just around them too much. My dad's retired now, so mostly he's just into politics. More specifically, anti-Obama politics, so I get to hear about it all the time. And really, I'm not a big fan of Obama's politics either, but I'm not hoping constantly that he's looking like an idiot or getting death threats.

And I know that it's mostly that my dad's home all day, and he doesn't have anyone to talk to, so he talks to me. Then he talks to my mom when she comes home.

I think, really, I just need to get out of the house.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

AniMajor
And I know that it's mostly that my dad's home all day, and he doesn't have anyone to talk to, so he talks to me. Then he talks to my mom when she comes home.

My dad's like this as well, but he's not home all the time. He's got to have noise 100% of the time - as soon as he comes home, he's got the tv blasting with his surround sound on full blast, while he discusses something with his laptop and the newscasters. He's not okay with quiet and it's really... grating.

That's a bit different, but I think it's in the ballpark of similar issues. smile

Quote:
I think, really, I just need to get out of the house.

That seems like a good idea, one that I hope to implement soon as well. smile

Collowrath

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Collowrath
My dad's like this as well, but he's not home all the time. He's got to have noise 100% of the time - as soon as he comes home, he's got the tv blasting with his surround sound on full blast, while he discusses something with his laptop and the newscasters. He's not okay with quiet and it's really... grating.

That's a bit different, but I think it's in the ballpark of similar issues. smile

Yeah, my dad's like that, too. Although he loves to talk and talks to everyone. It's worked out really well for him, because he makes friends really easily with everyone, and he knows almost everyone. I think he needs a hobby or something, preferably one that doesn't constantly frustrate him.

I prefer my quiet. Something like the TV on is fine, as long as it's not loud, but other than that, it gets really tough to concentrate on things. Although, when I'm concentrating on things, I don't even notice the TV's on.

Collowrath
That seems like a good idea, one that I hope to implement soon as well. smile

High five!
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games