Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Administration Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 294 295 296 297 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:52 am
Aw, well, you sound like you had more fun with your horn anyway.

*shrug* I'm a percussionist all the way. Although I've always wanted to learn clarinet...but that's beside the point...

Percussion clef's not that hard, there's no notes to memorize, it's all just rhythms.

>_> Then, I'm one to talk, I have issues with trumpet clef. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:54 pm
User Image
That and the trumpet were the only things that I actually liked doing. If I could do things over, I never would've done guard. x.x Pit was a decent and beneficial experience, at least, so I can't say that it was a complete waste of a season. I might've enjoyed pit more if I had actually gotten to stick with the instrument I liked, but you win some and lose some.

I'm not good with rhythms unless other people play them too, which is what I really hated about auxiliary. I generally learn parts more by listening to others, rather than just reading the music. With marimba, it was hard to learn bass cleff, although it didn't come up too much. I never had to use it before that, since I never did low brass.

There's no such thing as a trumpet or percussion cleff. Everything is either bass or treble cleff, including percussion. ^^;;;

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:54 pm
T i f a
User Image
That and the trumpet were the only things that I actually liked doing. If I could do things over, I never would've done guard. x.x Pit was a decent and beneficial experience, at least, so I can't say that it was a complete waste of a season. I might've enjoyed pit more if I had actually gotten to stick with the instrument I liked, but you win some and lose some.

I'm not good with rhythms unless other people play them too, which is what I really hated about auxiliary. I generally learn parts more by listening to others, rather than just reading the music. With marimba, it was hard to learn bass cleff, although it didn't come up too much. I never had to use it before that, since I never did low brass.

There's no such thing as a trumpet or percussion cleff. Everything is either bass or treble cleff, including percussion. ^^;;;

*shrug*
It's how I remember where the notes are in the staff on different instruments.

And I always thought there was a percussion one 'cause there's no actual notes if it's not a mallet part, so it's not really a clef. o_0

...I think I just confused myself. xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:56 pm
User Image
My music had different aux instrument marked as "notes", because the sounds have their own pitches. I don't know, that's what I noticed, because even the temple block parts had different "notes" for each block and I had to check to see which blocks I should be playing. It was pretty interesting.

Hm, I made a boo-boo, my bad. Checking my old music, it looks like it isn't specifically treble or bass, but I'm pretty sure there's a name for the "cleff" that aux plays in. There are definitely pitch notes for all those instruments though. o.o How perplexing...

As for the wind instruments, the notes are always in the same place in the staff, regardless of the instrument. It's a universal thing. However, some instruments only play in a certain range. I encountered that switching from flute to trumpet. Flute played a lot higher, so I had to write in my notes for a while since trumpet was a bit lower at the beginner level. It just involved counting lines and spaces.

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 pm
Hm....lemme look at our show music we got today...

The percussion 'clef' technically is nonexistant. XD

Or, wait...it's those two double-lines before the 4/4 is on the page. o_0;

And last time I read trumpet music, it was weird. Like, the note G was on the F in the staff.

I don't know where I was going with the percussion clef thingy, there is no staff for it unless there's multiple of parts like marching bass or temple blocks. [/fail]  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:39 pm
YOU GUYS TALK TO MUCH I CANT KEEP UP!

xD

I fail at treble cleff, and in percussion ensemble I play low marimba, and it sometimes in bass but most of the time in treble D=  

Tubariffic
Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:49 pm
User Image
Okay, that would make sense, since I've only heard of treble and bass cleff. XD

Yeah, they had me playing Marimba 2. I like how low-end marimba sounds, but the bigger mallets were a bit too...heavy...I guess. I don't know, my wrists just weren't strong enough to work with them for long periods of time. When I did marimba warm-ups, I tried to stick with the middle for the most part because I could handle the dark grays.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:17 pm
XD

I'm probably better at the low-end marimba...
But I only play the part well if I take a long time memorizing it, I fail at bass clef.

And sorry, Tuba. XD

For one of our stand tunes, we actually got to play once and I had to play low marimba, but I knew the notes before I ever saw the music, so the music itself confused me. xp  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

WickedSong

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am
Phantom of the Forum
Hm....lemme look at our show music we got today...

The percussion 'clef' technically is nonexistant. XD

Or, wait...it's those two double-lines before the 4/4 is on the page. o_0;

And last time I read trumpet music, it was weird. Like, the note G was on the F in the staff.

I don't know where I was going with the percussion clef thingy, there is no staff for it unless there's multiple of parts like marching bass or temple blocks. [/fail]

I'm not sure about percussion, but I know all of the other instruments play treble or bass cleft, although sometimes they use alto or tenor cleft or something along those lines. However, many instruments transpose. So a horn F sounds like a flute Bb which sounds like a trumpet C. Most instruments are concert pitch (flute, trombone, baritone, tuba, I think), but some are different, like the trumpet and clarinet (which are the same), the horn (which is in F), and the alto sax (I want to say they are in G, but it might be Eb). I can't recall what keys tenor and bari play in at the moment.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm
Ah, yeah, that's what I was talking about, thanks, Song. XD

And for my story for the day...

Hartmetz threatened to strangle everyone who didn't take their shirts home from Disney by shoving them down their throats. o_0;

Glad I took mine home. XD  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:10 pm
User Image
What I was trying to get at is that a Bb for one instrument and a Bb for another instrument will be marked in the same spot, but won't sound the same. I'm just terrible at transposing my thought processes into words. ^^;;;

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm
Yay Tenor clef!

Tifa your avi is cute. I need to make a new one, I am in a period of creativity block.  

Tubariffic
Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 pm
User Image
Thank you! I hoping that I finally got over mine. That thing lasted forever...@.@

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm
XD

My friend, Xumbra, got mad at Gaia one day and refused to dress his avatar. He found that that stopped beggars, which were making him mad to begin with. lol

And today was our final day of assistant drum major tryouts for hte year...
I wonder who'll win? X3  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:58 pm
We dont have drummajor tryouts. DA appoints the senior who thinks can do it best, which is stereotypically the best female musician.  
Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 294 295 296 297 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games