Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Administration Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 294 295 296 297 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:17 pm
My birthday's the 26th of August, so it's usually during the early part of the third week.

Last year it was on a Sunday and nobody knew when it was anyway.

But this year if people forget, I'm gonna be annoyed...seeing how I have facebook now and they have no lives.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:55 pm
User Image
I didn't mind the Saturday practices so much, since they were 9-3. I guess it wouldn't have been too bad, since I only celebrate with my parents (And grandparents, if we're talking about my 16th and 18th birthdays) anyway.

Yay for people having no lives. ^^;;;

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:47 pm
Our bandcamp is at some college in the mountains, from a sunday to the next saturday.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:06 pm
User Image
I'm not even sure why we call it band camp, since we don't actually go anywhere other than the school. ^^;;;

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:28 pm
One week, Tuba? o_0;; Jeez.

I agree, Tifa, but what else is there to call it?

It's like a day camp but at teh school.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm
User Image
Marching Band Hell? I don't know. XD

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 am

Our actual band camp is also only a week, but we go to a camp for it. It's usually the first week in August. The last one or two weeks in July and the rest of August we have practice from 8-12 at the high school. It's not too bad compared to you guys, but geez, a week strait of band isn't too great. But it's kinda weird: band camp is really a love-hate relationship. You hate every second of it, but love it too? But really, doesn't that sum up of all of marching band?

Anyway, Prince Caspian comes out today! Quite ironically, do to being over stressed, I took the day off of school today. My friends are all going to think I took the day off for the movie, lol. I just hope we don't do anything big in band today. xp

Last night we had our banquet for concert band. Hardly anything big, just an hour before the concert getting the semester award pins and some cake. Of course, my director kept forgetting I've been playing horn for the last 4 1/2 months. confused I've definitely made an impression on it. But gosh, I'm going to miss horn. The jerk is making me go back to trumpet next year. I know it's bad to call your director a jerk, but when he rips away one of your greatest love, he deserves it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm
Wow, Aelf...
Why is he making you go back? You're losing players next year or something? -_-

Same with us...but we're just getting the lazy immature idiots from the middle school 'cause they're moving up next year. (May we only survive H's wrath...)

Band hell?
I love band camp.
Everyone envies my section 'cause we get to stay up in the bandroom in air conditioning until the band knows enough sets to play, then we go down.
And when we're up there, we bring down the popsicles for the band and get almost mauled for them. XDD  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:57 pm
User Image
Yeah, I had a serious love-hate relationship with marching band. I felt better being inside when I did pit last year, but I can't say I enjoyed pit as much as actually marching mellophone or trumpet (Probably because I got kicked off marimba and demoted to auxiliary). And color guard is just something I'd never ever do again, even though I got really good at singles. All of the drama was so stupid, the instructors were mean, and the people in there weren't particularly great to be around. I got along with a few of the upperclassmen in there, but that was pretty much it. It became very obvious that my instructors didn't support me and would rather cut my parts out than actually help me improve on them. : / Luckily, the one left and the other got fired the next year.

I don't know, band camp was never really that...fun...overall for me. Well, there was the exception my junior year when there was a surprise bowling alley trip right after a lunch break. That was freaken sweet. And there were random moments that made the practice go by faster, but that was mostly when I was in the trumpet section.

My problem is that I love band, but the program rarely loved me back. It was hard to stick with it at times.

Oh wow, Aelfwyn, I wouldn't be happy either. My main instruments are trumpet and horn, so I can imagine what that would feel like.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't get it either. Everyone I've spoken to is surprised I have to switch back. The problem is we're getting two horn players and no trumpets from the middle school. I really have to switch back before my junior year, due to three trumpets graduating. But they're still going to be around next year. It would help if I owned a horn so I could play on my own, but I'm playing on the school horn (I named him Benvolio Zacchara heart ). I suppose I could talk to my director about it...but idk...he really hasn't been listening to me this year. I hate to admit it, but I've been scared to talk to him, period. He's allows just plain shooting me down. sweatdrop

I just got back from Prince Caspian. It was amazing! Aslan was so pretty. heart

[Aelfwyn]
Vice Captain

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:40 pm
Our banquet is the 30th and it is the biggest day of the year.

Firstly, everything in my band is done by the senior class, the captain is the figure head, I am Business manager, I collect all the money and sell the tickets, we have a student director who is in charge of collecting music and odd jobs like pepband and small ensemble needs. We even have the clerks who do all of the attendance and all the grades. All my BD does is direct xD

So at the end of the year the juniors plan the banquet as the first thing their class does. It serves as a good bye to the seniors, the passing out of all the awards, but most importantly, the banquet is where the senior positions are announced.

This year the theme is roaring twenties and it is going to be so fun.

I hope they do a good job, they do all the decorating, make a senior sideshow, and it is all funded by them.

I look forward to it greatly.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 pm
User Image
It sounds like my band is going to have an incoming mellophone/horn player. I'm excited for them. When I marched mellophone, there were only three of us! When I switched over to pit, the section jumped to 5 or 6 because of the flute players learning horn.

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Tubariffic
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 am
this year symphonic band had 6 horns, which correlates to 6 mellophones xD  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:22 am
Jeez, I'm gone for one night and this happens? XD

I never have played anything but percussion, so maybe that's why I love my pit so much...I couldn't imagine being forced to switch instruments, nor would my director make me since we need a lot of percussion. He'd rather if the two oboes who play percussion for MB switched over...well, one of them, anyway...the other kinda sucks. XD

The banquet sounds fun, Tuba, I hope you have a good time.
Still dunno when our end-of-the-year one is.

Our mellophone section last year was 4 or 5, I don't remember exactly, I never really payed attention. XD

One of the mellos plays trumpet, too.
I'm gonna miss him. He's so fun to talk to. Too bad he's a senior and leaving us with the horribles coming up. >_>  

Who is Puffer Fish
Vice Captain

T i f a
Vice Captain

Omnipresent Entrepreneur

10,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 pm
User Image
My band director actually let me choose what I wanted to play for some of the concerts. I always had to play French horn in Wind Ensemble, since that's the instrument I was in there for. And I was perfectly okay with that; the trumpet parts would've probably been too hard for me anyway. ^^;;;

I honestly joined pit because I was really interested in marimba. I came really close to crying when the pit instructor handed me a completely different part that I was totally clueless about. I had no percussion experience whatsoever going into pit, so I had no idea what any of the stuff was or what a lot of the marks on the page meant. At least with marimba, you just had to know how to read music. @.@ I learned to really like the cymbal and gong/bass drum combined parts over time, but that was about it.

Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 294 295 296 297 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games