Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek Trivia Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 pm
Maddy
Because it's too late and I should go to sleep soon, here's the question (And if you tell me it isn't fair I'll accept your decision, imzadi... I'll even offer to give hints if there's no Klingon scholar around)

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

This sentence has a literal meaning in the ancient Klingon Language. Nowadays it has a ritualistic use.

Explain this "modern" use.

And if you remember, explain the original meaning.

I know I can't answer this one.
Let's let it sit a few days and see if someone CAN. Maybe if you give a little more information about the ancient or modern usage, like WHEN it's used or something.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:46 pm
Steel Sterling
NEW question!

Doctor Kila Marr was a Federation xenologist. What's her specialization?

Here's some more information about Doctor Kila Marr.
NOW it's "fair."

Doctor Kila Marr's son lived in the colony of Omicron Theta. His name was Raymond Marr. His nickname was "Renny."  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:08 pm
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Because it's too late and I should go to sleep soon, here's the question (And if you tell me it isn't fair I'll accept your decision, imzadi... I'll even offer to give hints if there's no Klingon scholar around)

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

This sentence has a literal meaning in the ancient Klingon Language. Nowadays it has a ritualistic use.

Let's let it sit a few days and see if someone CAN. Maybe if you give a little more information about the ancient or modern usage, like WHEN it's used or something.

Let me see how much I can say without answering the question. smile

The ancient or original meaning has to do with Khaless. (People may not remember that unless they pay attention to the snippets of Klingon History/Culture we learn in the show)

As I said, the modern usage is part of a ritual (and you see that in a DSN episode)

I'll give another hint if no one answers it...  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 pm
Steel Sterling
Steel Sterling
NEW question!

Doctor Kila Marr was a Federation xenologist. What's her specialization?

Here's some more information about Doctor Kila Marr.
NOW it's "fair."

Doctor Kila Marr's son lived in the colony of Omicron Theta. His name was Raymond Marr. His nickname was "Renny."

Dr Marr outlived her son.

This is a NextGen question.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:54 pm
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

The ancient or original meaning has to do with Khaless. (People may not remember that unless they pay attention to the snippets of Klingon History/Culture we learn in the show)

As I said, the modern usage is part of a ritual (and you see that in a DSN episode)

Original meaning: The sentence comes from a Klingon story.

Modern use: I don't recommend you go through this ritual unless you have a doctor at hand... not unless you are Klingon.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:41 am
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

Modern use: I don't recommend you go through this ritual unless you have a doctor at hand... not unless you are Klingon.

I think you and I are the only Klingonese mavens in here, imzadi.
I can try to answer this one with a clear conscience....

If you'd said it was a ST:TNG episode, I would have thought this was a reference to the Klingon Tea Ceremony, and how death is an experience that should be shared with friends. Dr Pulaski had to take an antidote to fully partake of the ceremony with Worf.

My thoughts on DS9 is that it might have something to do with the path to Kal'Hyah.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100

Admiral Dax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:11 am
series: TNG
Question: What was the name of Tasha Yar's cat.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:46 pm
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

If you'd said it was a ST:TNG episode, I would have thought this was a reference to the Klingon Tea Ceremony, and how death is an experience that should be shared with friends. Dr Pulaski had to take an antidote to fully partake of the ceremony with Worf.

My thoughts on DS9 is that it might have something to do with the path to Kal'Hyah.

The ritual I was talking about definitely happens before that one...
Do you want me to answer it or do I keep giving you hints, imzadi?  

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:33 pm
voyager454
series: TNG
Question: What was the name of Tasha Yar's cat.

Sorry, we already have 2 questions on the table, otherwise it gets confused. (See the first post for the rules.)

Please wait for an opening.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:18 am
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy

NEW question! DSN

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

OK, another hint, then.

The ritual involves two people and the "aggressor" is the one saying that sentence.  

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:11 am
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy

OK, another hint, then.

The ritual involves two people and the "aggressor" is the one saying that sentence.

Kosh tomah ehpaq Lukara kaVeir.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:34 pm
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy

OK, another hint, then.

Yay! You know how to continue the ritual. redface
As long as you don't intend me to continue the verses... I can't remember the whole thing.

Should I complete the answer so someone else can ask a new one?  

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:59 pm
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling

OK, another hint, then.

As long as you don't intend me to continue the verses... I can't remember the whole thing.

Please complete it.
BTW, this wasn't something the average Trekkie could have gotten.
It took a Klingon diehard, or someone who could recite the script for one
episode. I had to pull the script for "Looking for par'Mach in all the wrong places", and I needed to be able to read Klingon to recognize the
responses, since the actual script used the simplified version I used,
which looks a lot different than the direct form you used.

I didn't consider it cheating, since you didn't mention an episode, and I
still had to interpret the lettering. Still, it didn't fit this thread's
definition in the first thread, but I hope it was entertaining.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:03 pm
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Steel Sterling
Maddy
Maddy
Steel Sterling

OK, another hint, then.

Please complete it.
BTW, this wasn't something the average Trekkie could have gotten.
It took a Klingon diehard, or someone who could recite the script for one
episode. I had to pull the script for "Looking for par'Mach in all the wrong places", and I needed to be able to read Klingon to recognize the
responses, since the actual script used the simplified version I used,
which looks a lot different than the direct form you used.

I didn't consider it cheating, since you didn't mention an episode, and I
still had to interpret the lettering. Still, it didn't fit this thread's
definition in the first thread, but I hope it was entertaining.

I told you I wasn't sure it was fair as per the definition of the trivia thread. In my defence, even if I've learnt later the proper Klingon characters to write the sentence as I put it in the question, I was able to say the phrase and remember it after the first viewing of the chapter. But in the future I'll be sure to go be a swot somewhere else... xd I enjoyed our conversation if that's what you mean. wink

Alright, time to answer:

mova' 'aqI' ruStaq

The original meaning is "It was a great day to die" in ancient Klingon (no' Hol). The sentence is from one of the most romantic stories in Klingon literature: The story of Kahless and Lady Lukara battling alone (and winning) against a great amount of klingon soldiers. The romantic part was that they become a couple afterwards. redface Or as Jadzia put it, they jumped each other like crazy (sorry I can't quote the episode precisely, but my only copy is in Spanish so checking it won't help me).

As a reference to that, now that sentence is used to start a mating ritual. The "aggressor" starts by reciting that part and then the other partner answers back with the next verse of the story. Each one taking the part of Kahless and Lukara respectively.
The next step for the couple would be to marry. That's why I said it came before the path to Kal'Hyah (the Klingon version of a bachelor party). But as Jadzia wasn't a traditional woman, that's not what Worf and Jadzia did.  

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games