Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:45 am
User Image

Issue Number: 3.9
EDITOR: Aunt Slappy

Table of Contents:
1. Cover Page/ToB
2. Accosting Adonis... With Questions
3. Birthdays
4. Quidditch World Cup
5. PotterWatch!
6. Hagrid's Pet!
7. Sneak Peek Rita's Modeling Agency
8. Massive Sorting
9. Banner Contest
10. Be Active
11. Witch Weekly (entertainment)
12. Note from the Editor
13. Thanks to HM Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am
☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Accosting Adonis…
User Image With Questions

Some say his birthstone is a beozoar…
Some say his wand-work is faster than a speeding bullet… whatever that is…
Some say he once won a staring contest… with a basilisk…

All we know is he’s called Adonis.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Welcome readers to our second installment of Accosting Adonis… with Questions! In this interview I’ll be asking Adonis a few follow up questions on our recent Vernal Fair event, and then get to the good stuff about the upcoming Quidditch World Cup!!!

Quote:
R: Rita Skeeter User ImageA: Professor Adonis

R: Thank you for meeting with me, Headmaster.

A: Not at all, not at all dear. It always a pleasure to meet with you.

R: Tell me, do you find you miss sleeping in the dungeons? This tower is such a far cry from the Slytherin Dorms….

A: *Adonis fusses with a frayed hem on his lunar cloak, seemingly oblivious to the question posed to him. *

… … …

R: Still won’t budge on not disclosing what house you were in, then?

A: Hmm? Ah- I’m afraid not.

R: You know sir, I’m sure they’ve got a seam-speller down at Gladrags who’d be happy to patch that cloak up for you…

A: *sigh* I’m sure they do, but I’ve got a new outfit on the way and I’d rather not waste the gold.

R: Ah, yes, and how did the Keen Eye for the Old Guy competition go?

A: I’m afraid the top two are tied again… I’ve been advised to reopen the poll and wait until July 8th, and then if they’re still tied, I suppose I’ll just have to flip a coin. Have you voted yet, Rita?

R: No, I’m afraid I was neck high in rabbits at the time.

A: Ah well, I’ve moved the voting booth into the Main Forums, you know, next to the Entrance Hall so that everyone will be sure to see it, make sure you go vote!

R: Speaking of the Vernal Fair, how did you resolve all of those aspects? It seemed rather abrupt to me.

A: Oh yes it was, as always we forgot ourselves a bit for all the fun we were having. But yes, as I said, Voting for Keen Eye for the Very Old Guy will resume in the main forum until July 8th. We’ve allotted and awarded all of the house points for the booths already. Then there are still two cards left for Finding Frog Cards, so Madam Willow, the trolley witch has made preparations to take her cart on the road with us to the Quidditch World Cup.

R: Ah, yes, about that… so… we’re going to the Quidditch World Cup?

A: *beaming* Yes indeed we are! Wasn’t that kind of the Hogsmeade residents? They’ve footed the bill for the whole thing: the tickets, the seats, the tents…

R: I’m sorry, the tents?

A: Well yes, we’ve got to have somewhere to sleep. We’ve got this great big plot of land reserved for us not far from the stadium. Erik, the train conductor, has helped to set up the portkeys to get the students to Japan. Then the-

R: Wah-We’re going to Japan?!?

A: Well yes of course… that is where the world cup is being held after all…

R: Oh! Fascinating! Tell me more!!!

A: *Looks at his watch then slaps his forehead in astonishment* I’m terribly sorry to cut our interview short, but I’ve got to go! Just make sure you pack muggle clothes and grab a portkey! You’ll find out everything you need to know soon enough! Now I must be off!

R: Oh…-wha.. why on earth would I-- Muggle Clothes… eek Oh, boy, I’d better go shopping…

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 am

◘ Birthdays ◘

Here we go, if your birthday is in March, April, or May and is not listed here please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes by posting them in the Student Message Board!

From you Fellow members of the Guild we would like to wish you a happy birthday!
*<(=D)
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Gemini June 1- June 20 Cancer June 21- June 30

23 – The Queen Lana (1993)
24 – Lyra Elizabeth (1991)
29 - Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 am

The Competing Teams for the 3rd Annual HPGoG Quidditch World Cup Are...
User Image
User Image

Help our guild and put HPGoG advertisements in you're signature so that the cup will be the best EVER!

User Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/7v2ae][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l320/Red_deer/HPGoG_ness/nellsad.gif[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/7v2ae][IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/Hotpink-wanda/quidditchbanner.jpg[/IMG][/url]

User Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/7v2ae][img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/Hotpink-wanda/outdoorsumerterm.jpg?t=1340947868[/img][/url]

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 am

User Image

As I’m sure many of you Pottermore enthusiasts already know the House Cup Winner will be announced on July 5th, and we here at the monthly have got some helpful tips for brewing and dueling and House Point earning!

WARNING: Quite a few spoilers ahead! We’ve refrained from repeating any of the juicy JKR written tidbits, because, well, if you want to know those you’ll just have to join Pottermore then won’t you? However, there are some things that people prefer to be a mystery, like what’s coming in later chapters, and we don’t want to spoil anyone’s sense of discovery.

Potion Brewing:
When brewing potions, practice makes perfect, follow the steps to a T and you’ll do fine. But be careful, doing steps in the incorrect order can sometimes cause you’re cauldron to explode and you’ll lose house points.

Brewing Tip #1: The “Back” button is you’re friend. Forgotten to add an ingredient? Accidentally stirred the potion one time to many? Simply click the back button and it will take you to your “Potions” page. From there you can return to your potion, and everything will have been reset (including your time limit) so you can try again. This way you won’t have to waste any potion ingredients or risk the cauldron blowing up unexpectedly.

Brewing Tip #2: “Where’s my wand???” This is a very common issue, most wands blend into the workbench so well that you can’t find it when it comes time to wave you’re wand. I myself wasn’t sure if it was an ingredient or not. You’re wand will always be located to far right, just behind the standard ingredient, simply click it and it will wave itself.

Brewing Tip #3: Darn those touchy bottles! Yes, the bottle of horklump juice is particularly unruly when trying to measure out the proper amount. I have found that picking it up from the top rim, and then using the cauldron to stabilize it as I pour is the best method for handling it. Put it down, however, well, that just takes practice and patience.

Brewing Tip #4: Replacing Ingredients.
Warning Spoiler! It is recommended that you finish the first book on Pottermore before viewing.
There are some ingredients that you find throughout the chapters, you will find that once you run out of these ingredients, they will re-appear in the place that you found them. Most notable of these ingredients are the Beozoar in the Hospital Wing in Chapter 17 and the Wolfsbane in the Forbidden Forest in Chapter 15. Going back to find these things repeatedly will save you galleons!

Spell Casting (or Dueling) :
There is no such thing as a poor dueller, only an inexperienced one. Spell casting is not so much about reflexes and reaction, as it is about tempo. Getting the beat will help you get a higher score. The biggest thing with Dueling is that there is one particular spell that is more powerful than any other. This spell is found in a book in one of the chapters, so until you’ve found it, there is a much greater chance that you will be beaten in a duel.

Dueling Tip #1: Spoiler Warning! (This is where you can find aforementioned spell, which will be the spell the future tips will refer to.)
Right then, the Full Body-Bind Hex. It is found in Curses and Counter Curses by Vindictus Viridian, which can be located in Chapter 12: The Mirror of Erised
on the bench in the Christmas Feast scene. It’s maximum number of points is 145.

Dueling Tip #2: When dueling, there is a panel to the far right that allows you to duel against a particular house. As it stands, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs generally prefer to duel on another because that way neither is giving the Gryffindor and the Slytherins any more points than they already have.

Dueling Tip #3: If you have trouble keeping a beat.
The tempo for the Full Body-Bind Hex is somewhere between 83 and 84, both will get you reasonably good results. Using an online metronome to try out the spell a few times can be very helpful in your accuracy.

Dueling Tip #4: Getting Bored?
I have found that for the most part, listening to music throws off my game a bit, and generally lowers my accuracy, so I used to usually duel in the quiet. However, it can get very tiresome simply casting spell after spell without anything else to entertain you, so, we’ve looked up just a few great dueling songs that are at the same tempo as the Full Body-Bind Hex! Some great 83-84 Beat Per Minute songs are “Come Together” by The Beatles, “Boots are Made for Walkin’” by Nancy Sinatra, “For the Longest Time” by Billy Joel, “Brand New Key” by Melanie, and “American Woman” by Lenny Kravitz. Now before you start criticizing my musical tastes, I have found a site that lists just some of the 83-84BPM songs, and you can choose your own favorites (there is a column that says the tempo, remember you’re looking for the 83-84 range). These are just the songs I have personally tried out with the spell, and found to be quite satisfactory. (especially “Come Together”).

Remember you’ve got until the 5th to earn as many points as you can! Word is that they’ll be releasing the first few chapters of Chamber of Secrets sometime soon! So keep an eye out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am

◘ Hagrid's Pet ◘

Today on Hagrid's pet we inform you of tedious little creatures, the Cornish Pixie

A Pixie is a small, bright blue mischief-maker, and loves tricks and practical jokes. It is able to fly, and enjoys lifting people up by their ears and depositing them on the tops of trees and buildings, showing incredible strength for creatures of their size. Pixies can only communicate with other pixies; their voices are described as "so shrill it was like listening to a lot of arguing budgies". They bear live young.

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:57 am

◘ Rita's Modeling Agency ◘

Interested to know what Rita's Modeling Agency is?
Stay tuned for our following issues to find out.
- Rita Skeeter

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 am

◘ Massive Sorting ◘

User Image

ATTENTION!
House Elves! MASS SORTING is now OPEN! Please check the first page of the Sorting hat to see if you are eligible! (eligibility means you have at least 30 posts)
If you think you should be eligible and are not listed, please PM you're head elf, vivacious_red!
To check the sorting hat click ---> here

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 am
◘ Banner Contest ◘

User Image
Yes they heard correctly there is a banner contest in the Hogwarts Monthly!
What about? Well About the largest event we have during the summer! The 3rd Annual Quidditch World Cup OF COURSE! Now I know what you're thinking, another post about the QWC, what's so amazing about it! Well... if you have everyone making a big deal, and the monthly is ecstatic about it hmmmmm! 1+1= AWESOMENESS. The QWC is definitely something you should look into:
Now about this Banner Contest, We would like our readers to submit to us either a General Quidditch World Cup Banner, Team against Team, or individual team Have people dying, i mean flying beating, shouting, whatever feeds your inner frenzy! And have a blast doing it!
Don't forget the mascots for our teams

Kitsunes for Japan and Kelpies for Scotland
We have Prizes for the contest 1st, 2nd and 3rd. besides the Unmasked prizes, your banners will be used as advertisements for the world cup, the first place banner will even be placed on the Monthly's Signature to show off our pride in our member's work.
First Day to submit Banners will be tomorrow! June 24!
And the deadline to submit a banner will be July 10th!

There are always rules:
1. Be respectful in what you submit, EVERYONE will be able to see it
2. You may submit more than one
3. Make sure the size for the banner is reasonable (Do not get crazy, please)
4. Please submit in JPEG format
5. Colors please make the colors readable with the background of your choosing.
6. Also if you are submitting one for a specific team or both use

Crimson and Grey for Japan
Royal Blue and Orange for Scotland

7. Enjoy what you do!
Last but not least submit your Banners to the Hogwarts Monthly Editor by PM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 am

◘ Be ACTIVE ◘

User Image

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 am
◘ Witch Weekly ◘

We always Enjoy Bringing our readers Entertainment, Last Month we were full of laughter and giggles, this month we hope to grant you with the same.

xd

This one creeps me out ninja
Follow to see

Rude... snap* snap* LOL

Not funny but is SO TRUE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 am

◘ Editor's Inner Thoughts ◘

Hello, Hello, Hello,
I am very grateful for Vivacious_Red Taking over for our last month's Issue and i would like for the world to know that she made a historical Monthly! And deserves a HUGE emotion_hug . Thank You for all you do and more emotion_bigheart
i am also excited to be back and hold our Monthly to its great name, we are however in need of writers and I know not many have the time but one article or a small helping hand can make a large difference, We are excited for the summer events that are coming up and hope everyone will be apart of the fun. LOOK OUT for our next Issue it will a very special edition. I hope you have enjoyed our Monthly and if you have any feedback be sure to check into my office yum_tea
Also sorry for the Delay for our june issue i know that we have hit July and will not lose track of our deadline next issue 4laugh
Thank You for listening in my inner thoughts until next time Amelia Grey

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

◘ Thanks to HM Staff ◘

User ImageUser Image
Aunt Slappy .............. Vivacious_Red

If you would like to join our staff post in the Editors Office

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia