Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm
S'okay.

Meh, honestly, I think that both sides make a decent case and both of them are probably wrong about some things. And if one of them is lying, how do we really know which? Maybe both of them are? I don't think that believing one or the other really makes anyone smarter or more ignorant than anyone else. It does put me off when people start insulting other people for which side they choose to believe, though. That just shows a lot of narrow-mindedness and strikes me as disrespectful.

In any case, I don't really know where I stand on the topic and I'm not sure it matters much to me. however God did it, I know that He did it and that's enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:26 pm
Ixor-san
In any case, I don't really know where I stand on the topic and I'm not sure it matters much to me. however God did it, I know that He did it and that's enough for me.

That is a position I can accept without problem, but:

Ixor-san
Meh, honestly, I think that both sides make a decent case and both of them are probably wrong about some things. And if one of them is lying, how do we really know which? Maybe both of them are?

This bothers me. I hate the idea of people thinking good science is wrong. For example, there is no scientific reason to think the planet is only a few thousand years old. Any fair discussion of facts shows this.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:42 pm
zz1000zz
Ixor-san

That is a position I can accept without problem, but:

Ixor-san
Meh, honestly, I think that both sides make a decent case and both of them are probably wrong about some things. And if one of them is lying, how do we really know which? Maybe both of them are?

This bothers me. I hate the idea of people thinking good science is wrong. For example, there is no scientific reason to think the planet is only a few thousand years old. Any fair discussion of facts shows this.
Thing is, I'm really not good at this kind of thing. I understood what was presented to me at the time, well enough. I just have problems retaining it well enough to use in any kind of discussion with people more science-minded than I. And how do you 'good science' is really that good? How do you know you can trust your sources or the sources that support your sources (ok, sounding like a completely paranoid person, I admit). Even if we don't understand them, everyone has their reasons for believing what they do and that is their right.

Co-incedentally, I probably do lean more towards the old-earth side of things but that traditionalism has crept into me somehow. Which is strange because I had a very secular up-bringing confused

But those two sides of me are the reason I reserve judgement on the idea. And also why also reserve judgement on the intelligence of those that may hold opposing views.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:19 pm
Science is, by nature, open. That means if you want to verify or study something, you can. If you have questions about how conclusions were reached, you can answer them. Science is not about blind trust, but earned trust. We trust science because science proves itself again and again.

While a person is free to believe whatever he or she wishes to believe, it is absurd just how much credence people give to anti-science nonsense. There is an obligation to honesty and openness that anti-science movements abuse by trying to mislead and deceive people.

The worst part of this is it happens on a societal level. Most people do not intentionally believe incorrect things. Most people do not intentionally spread false information. Instead, they get tricked into thinking what they say is true. Over time, this evolves into a belief system that constantly misleads its followers.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:22 pm
I'm eating a burnt baked potato from a plastic Teletubbies dish.

Proceed with the serious discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Really can't think of what to say that besides 'fair enough'.

Also running out of computer time. I have 14 minutes left. And my roommate is here to pick me up so I don't want to keep him waiting too much longer.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 pm
Priestley

All the Teletubbies? Or just the purple one? ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:33 pm
Ixor-san
Priestley

All of them. Their faces are smeared with melted butter. Filthy.  

Priestley

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:34 pm
Priestley
Ixor-san
Priestley

All of them. Their faces are smeared with melted butter. Filthy.
Heheh.

*hands you a sammich*  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Something always bothers me about these discussions I wind up having. It seems no matter what I do, people say I insult them. I have to wonder what difference there would be if I actually did insult them for a change.

Edit: I am starting to be concerned by the number of posts I have in this guild.  

zz1000zz
Crew

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 pm
zz1000zz
freelance lover
Well, I'm fairly new to the OKC scene, so I don't really know anything about how it's been run. I don't think I'll be around much longer after I graduate anyway. They are starting to bring some more business and stuff in, and their helping build up some of the sketchy areas- there is some improvement, from what I've seen.

I always said that area is a great place to live for a few years. I just advise against making it a permanent home.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:50 pm
zz1000zz
Something always bothers me about these discussions I wind up having. It seems no matter what I do, people say I insult them. I have to wonder what difference there would be if I actually did insult them for a change.

Edit: I am starting to be concerned by the number of posts I have in this guild.

Not a lot of people are used to someone being so blunt with them. They're used to discussions where the opponents wear kid gloves, and you've taken yours off. Guess online it just comes across fierce and angry rather than factual.  

Xandris

Xandris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 pm
And, to go with the new topic... Mmmm, TastyCakes. I'm glad I live in one of the few areas in America where they're distributed. The rest of you are missing out. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:06 pm
Tastycake? *googles it*
Looks goooooood 3nodding  

LadyAbiel

6,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Clambake 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:52 pm
Diabetes in cake form?

*grabbyhands*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games