Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:03 am
TeaDidikai
Welcome.

Is there anything still up in the air?
The clouds have been stuck up there for some time now. ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Welcome.

Is there anything still up in the air?
The clouds have been stuck up there for some time now. ninja
I had some of them fall down just yesterday.  

TeaDidikai

guardian_rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:03 pm
Recursive Paradox
guardian_rose
CuAnnan
guardian_rose
The term Gaelic term comes from the Greeks and the Romans.

These lies are what make you a racist.
The term Gaelic comes from the word Goedelic. Which is Goedelic for the Goedelic language.

Ok, Cu. Im tired of this bull s**t of me being called a racist. Prove it. Get me banned from Gaia. If its true, I won't be here any more to contest your point. If you are wrong, we will know soon enough.

Are you ******** serious? I just proved word for word that you are racist. I just proved word for word that you are engaging your privilege and entitlement and behaving in a racist fashion. I provided resources and source material to further establish this point and then addressed every single one of your attempts to delegitimize those resources and source materials.

And so, you just avoid responding to me at all and continue to fire rebuttals at Cu about your racism? Rebuttals that have been directly addressed in my post that you didn't respond to? You're either blind or you are one of the most intellectually dishonest people I have ever seen.

No. You did not post any proof. Gave a link to an article of assumption written by Dr. Enoch. There was no empirical evidence what so ever. This is the second time I have said this. Nothing has really been proven.

If you think I am racist, by all means get me banned. You won't, however, because you are full of bullshit.

Again, anyone is free to try to prove me wrong. No one has been successful yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 pm
Why is the Christian God referred to YHVH? And where did it originate from? Is it his personal name?

Yay, stupid questions. DX  

Alud Land Syne

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:12 pm
Alud Land Syne
Why is the Christian God referred to YHVH? And where did it originate from? Is it his personal name?

YHVH is the Tetragrammaton, or the Four Letters. It is God's personal name in the bible. It's an Anglicisation of the Hebrew letters yodh heh waw/vav heh, or יהוה (note this is written right to left as Hebrew is, so it reads heh waw/vav heh yodh here) and it's exact pronunciation is unknown. It originates in the Old Testament.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 pm
Alud Land Syne

It's his formal name.

The lack of vowels stems from the fact that early forms of Hebrew did not mark vowels within the word- everyone spoke the language and knew where they were.

Within Jewish Traditions the name YHVH was spoken only once a year within the Temple as part of the Atonement rites.

When we look at The Dead Sea Scrolls, we actually see that another script was used to note the name so people did not accidentally say it while reading aloud.

Since the god of the Jews is assumed to be the god of the Christians, YHVH is considered the name of the Christian god.

Often times, people who are disrespectful towards other cultures and individuals will Anglicize a name. That's where you get the name Jehovah.

The four letters are commonly referred to as the Tetragramaton. Some mystic traditions within the Abrahamic faiths suggest you can substitute letters in to address linguistically syncronistic meanings and titles used for specific aspects of worship.

Because of the prohibition against profaning the sacred name- you will often see YHVH addressed by title, such as Lord.  

TeaDidikai

Alud Land Syne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:17 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Alud Land Syne

YHVH is the Tetragrammaton, or the Four Letters. It is God's personal name in the bible. It's an Anglicisation of the Hebrew letters yodh heh waw/vav heh, or יהוה (note this is written right to left as Hebrew is, so it reads heh waw/vav heh yodh here) and it's exact pronunciation is unknown. It originates in the Old Testament.

Thank you! <3  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Alud Land Syne

It's his formal name.

The lack of vowels stems from the fact that early forms of Hebrew did not mark vowels within the word- everyone spoke the language and knew where they were.

Within Jewish Traditions the name YHVH was spoken only once a year within the Temple as part of the Atonement rites.

When we look at The Dead Sea Scrolls, we actually see that another script was used to note the name so people did not accidentally say it while reading aloud.

Since the god of the Jews is assumed to be the god of the Christians, YHVH is considered the name of the Christian god.

Often times, people who are disrespectful towards other cultures and individuals will Anglicize a name. That's where you get the name Jehovah.

The four letters are commonly referred to as the Tetragramaton. Some mystic traditions within the Abrahamic faiths suggest you can substitute letters in to address linguistically syncronistic meanings and titles used for specific aspects of worship.

Because of the prohibition against profaning the sacred name- you will often see YHVH addressed by title, such as Lord.

Thank you! I saw that several times throughout this guild, and was slightly confused. I'm still pretty new to many of these topics, but they are very interesting.  

Alud Land Syne

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:22 pm
Alud Land Syne
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Alud Land Syne

Thank you! <3
I was about to say "No Love for the Tea!? emo "

Anyway- yeah, I use it a lot because in dealing with people who often use the term god in a general way, naming the deity in question helps.

And I like the V over the W spelling. It fits better with Hebrew phonetics.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:31 pm
guardian_rose
Deoridhe
guardian_rose
As for racism here is what Webster has to say:
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-
Function: noun
Date: 1933
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist -sist also -shist noun or adjective

Looks like you are full of fluff, Tea. Dare you to cite sources to prove otherwise.

neutral You DO realize that a dictionary reflects word usage and is not without bias, right? And that the study of racism is a whole lot more than a dictionary excerpt with only two (gods, just two; I mean, were you using the abridged?) usages?

Also, I see your online-version-of=Merriam Websters and raise you an online version of Oxford English Dictionary. xd

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

This is fun.

I went with Websters because of the preference Tea usually places on it.
Normally I just go with dictionary.com.

Either way, none of the four are supporting Tea's use of the word racism.

Ah, no. Your reading comprehension skills are poor. I shall bold and quote the relevant parts. They were near the beginning.

You DO realize that a dictionary reflects word usage and is not without bias, right? And that the study of racism is a whole lot more than a dictionary excerpt with only two (gods, just two; I mean, were you using the abridged?) usages?

The dictionary quote was just for fun. I suppose the humor in it requires the reading comprehension to understand the first half of the post, though...

...wait, he has a background in psychology and sociology and hasn't been at least introduced in passing to systematic racism? What ARE schools teaching these days. I'll freely admit that half my Master's class didn't grok racism, but it was at least ******** introduced.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Alud Land Syne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Alud Land Syne
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Alud Land Syne

Thank you! <3
I was about to say "No Love for the Tea!? emo "

Anyway- yeah, I use it a lot because in dealing with people who often use the term god in a general way, naming the deity in question helps.

And I like the V over the W spelling. It fits better with Hebrew phonetics.

Of, course love for the Tea! Where did the emotes go? I can't find them D:

Whenever, I was littler I remember asking my mom what YHVH's name ways. She didn't have an answer so I named him Josh. I was quite the blasphemer. XD

What is the Wiccan Goddess's name, by the way? I feeling like we're playing the name game. Sorry, for all the questions.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:37 pm
Deoridhe
guardian_rose
Deoridhe
guardian_rose
As for racism here is what Webster has to say:
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-
Function: noun
Date: 1933
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist -sist also -shist noun or adjective

Looks like you are full of fluff, Tea. Dare you to cite sources to prove otherwise.

neutral You DO realize that a dictionary reflects word usage and is not without bias, right? And that the study of racism is a whole lot more than a dictionary excerpt with only two (gods, just two; I mean, were you using the abridged?) usages?

Also, I see your online-version-of=Merriam Websters and raise you an online version of Oxford English Dictionary. xd

racism

• noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

This is fun.

I went with Websters because of the preference Tea usually places on it.
Normally I just go with dictionary.com.

Either way, none of the four are supporting Tea's use of the word racism.

Ah, no. Your reading comprehension skills are poor. I shall bold and quote the relevant parts. They were near the beginning.

You DO realize that a dictionary reflects word usage and is not without bias, right? And that the study of racism is a whole lot more than a dictionary excerpt with only two (gods, just two; I mean, were you using the abridged?) usages?

The dictionary quote was just for fun. I suppose the humor in it requires the reading comprehension to understand the first half of the post, though...

My comprehension skills are just fine. The non-dictionary source is in question.
If there are no other sources except for the dictionary, then that is what we have to go by.  

guardian_rose

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:41 pm
Alud Land Syne

Of, course love for the Tea! Where did the emotes go? I can't find them D:
To the left of the post if you're on Monzilla.
Quote:

Whenever, I was littler I remember asking my mom what YHVH's name ways. She didn't have an answer so I named him Josh.
Ironically enough, Josh is the shorter version of Joshua, which is the Anglicized version of Yeshua, which is the name ascribed to Christ.

Since in popular Christian thought Yeshua is YHVH, that would be what I would consider an uncanny moment.

Quote:
What is the Wiccan Goddess's name, by the way? I feeling like we're playing the name game.
Her name is only revealed to those initiated into the cult. There are place holder names that differ from coven to coven used in public ritual though. Basically, her name is a Mystery.

Quote:
Sorry, for all the questions.
Nothing to be sorry about.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:44 pm
guardian_rose
My comprehension skills are just fine. The non-dictionary source is in question.
If there are no other sources except for the dictionary, then that is what we have to go by.

o.O

Whut.

The dictionary isn't a source. It's a record. As we have said. As the history of dictionaries and how they are made shows.

For people who are actually interested in educating themselves, Unthinking Eurocentrism in tandem with Afrocentrism is serving to be a wonderful way to help me rethink my unconscious biases and re-examine all levels of education I've had and how it's been skewed. I'll probably be making extensive use of them in my Thesis, and I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to learn. Of course, the influence of Afrocentrism must be understood to only be speaking about the culture of US citizens descended from the Africans who were sold as slaves and stripped of their culture, and now are trying to regain something not even remembered but carried on in tradition. Generalizations to similar or different populations on other continents who have suffered from colonialism and Eurocentrism does not follow.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:54 pm
Deoridhe
The dictionary isn't a source. It's a record. As we have said. As the history of dictionaries and how they are made shows.
this is kind of misleading. No one's going to argue that Roman period censuses of Egypt are in fact records, but they are also sources, in that they provide us evidence of the common populace practicing incest. A dictionary can be a source, it's just not one, or at least not a good one, in this case.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games