Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Collowrath

>.<

It's funny, sometimes in the city I'm mistaken for Latino (though, I don't look Latino at all), but in the area of Ohio where my parents are from, there are people there that can pick me out of a crowd. It's a little unnerving.

I'm curious about what it'll be like when I finally make it to Europe.
I hate being picked out.
It's why I don't have a problem using Sinti words sometimes.

Bastemhet
How do you define rape if not simply the physical act of sexual violence on someone without their consent?
Hit the dictionary. That's one of several accurate definitions.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:30 pm

TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
How do you define rape if not simply the physical act of sexual violence on someone without their consent?

OK, my bad, that was a "no, duh" moment. Huh.

Dictionary.com
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

I wonder if this is a perversion of the original definition or whether this use of the word existed concurrently?

Bastemhet

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

OK, my bad, that was a "no, duh" moment. Huh.

Dictionary.com
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

I wonder if this is a perversion of the original definition or whether this use of the word existed concurrently?
No, the sexual violation one is the perversion.

The original definition is an act of plunder.

The word comes from the Latin rapere, to seize. It's why when authors talk about the rape of Europa and other figures, they don't always mean she was sexually violated.

This is one of the reasons why I refuse when people tell me to stop using it to refer to things other than sexual violation. They're the ones using the perversion of the word. Not me.

Rapere was only very rarely used to mean sexual violation in Latin, and according to etymologyonline.com, Rape didn't gain that connotation until sometime in the 1400s and since it's a near port of the Latin, that's thousands of years of word usage before sexual violation really comes into the picture.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Byaggha
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Loona linked to her facebook page elsewhere, and her description includes the statement that she has written 21 books on subjects x, y and z, and included in those subjects was "Pow-Wow".
Yeah, I just looked it up - she's got a book about the Penn Dutch folk magic for sure. Should we have the Penn Dutch people hit her for us?

No.

I get to hit her for this one.

Get out of my way. scream

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Celeblin Galadeneryn
Byaggha
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Loona linked to her facebook page elsewhere, and her description includes the statement that she has written 21 books on subjects x, y and z, and included in those subjects was "Pow-Wow".
Yeah, I just looked it up - she's got a book about the Penn Dutch folk magic for sure. Should we have the Penn Dutch people hit her for us?

No.

I get to hit her for this one.

Get out of my way. scream

We should route all the Kitchener-Waterloo Penn-Dutch people her way.

More effective. twisted
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:51 pm

I wish I hadn't hurt my wrist. There's so much I need to do with it.

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 pm

TeaDidikai
Collowrath

>.<

It's funny, sometimes in the city I'm mistaken for Latino (though, I don't look Latino at all), but in the area of Ohio where my parents are from, there are people there that can pick me out of a crowd. It's a little unnerving.

I'm curious about what it'll be like when I finally make it to Europe.
I hate being picked out.
It's why I don't have a problem using Sinti words sometimes.

Heh, I understand that pretty well. >.<
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Addison, my two year old baby sister, went to the hospital today because she's been running an extremely high fever for days that only broke when we gave her Tylenol and Motrine (sp?).

One minute she would be screaming, unable to move, and hot to the touch. A little more then 30 minutes later she would be fine and wanting to play.

Everytime we thought she was getting better, she would get progressively worse.

The hospital is already saying her white blood cell count is very low and needs more testing done to see what's wrong. An infection is the best quess they can give us. Which is funny because when we took her to the hospital the first they told us it was just a virus and we shouldn't worry about it.

Bastards.

I know she'll be fine, I just can't help but worry for her. She's the meanest, most agitating and spitful little girl I know.

And I would truely hate it if she didn't get to come home today and scream "Dobby" to make me watch her run pointlessly in a neverending circle.

Namikikyo

Calixti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Namikikyo
Which is funny because when we took her to the hospital the first they told us it was just a virus and we shouldn't worry about it.

I remember a similar thing happening when I was little. My mum took me to the hospital three times, three separate days, with a 103 degree fever, only to be told it was a cold and she was worrying too much.

Turned out I had pneumonia.

Just saying, if they can't find what's wrong, get a second opinion if you can. And a third, and a fourth if necessary. Doctors can be really stupid sometimes.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Namikikyo
Addison, my two year old baby sister, went to the hospital today because she's been running an extremely high fever for days that only broke when we gave her Tylenol and Motrine (sp?).

One minute she would be screaming, unable to move, and hot to the touch. A little more then 30 minutes later she would be fine and wanting to play.

The hospital is already saying her white blood cell count is very low and needs more testing done to see what's wrong. An infection is the best quess they can give us. Which is funny because when we took her to the hospital the first they told us it was just a virus and we shouldn't worry about it.

Bastards.

I know she'll be fine, I just can't help but worry for her. She's the meanest, most agitating and spitful little girl I know.

And I would truely hate it if she didn't get to come home today and scream "Dobby" to make me watch her run pointlessly in a neverending circle.

i'm very sorry to hear that. i know how you feel, my little sister had strep throat last week and now she's running another fever.

i hope all turns out well and that your sister feels better soon.

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Calixti
Namikikyo
Which is funny because when we took her to the hospital the first they told us it was just a virus and we shouldn't worry about it.

I remember a similar thing happening when I was little. My mum took me to the hospital three times, three separate days, with a 103 degree fever, only to be told it was a cold and she was worrying too much.

Turned out I had pneumonia.

Just saying, if they can't find what's wrong, get a second opinion if you can. And a third, and a fourth if necessary. Doctors can be really stupid sometimes.

Just as I was about to reply to your post, my Step-father called to tell us that she had been diagnosed with pneumonia and a urinary tract infection. The hospital will be keeping Addison tonight.

At least, that's what I've been told so far.

Anyways, I know what you mean. We've been through this before with my first baby sister when she was born, she had stopped breathing a few days after she was brought home.

We went through several doctors on Fort Campbell, which in 1994 the military hospital was a joke anyways. They had diagnosed her with all sorts of strange things, from a brain tumour to under developed lungs.

Finally my Mother had her transfered to Vandurbilt and they quickly told her what was wrong and treated her. I can't exactly remember what was wrong with her, but I remember my Mother's relief when Kaitlyn was better.

I wonder why or how this happens, doctors misdiagnosing that is. You'd think something like that could get them into some sort of trouble.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

whiporwill-o
Namikikyo

Bastards.

i'm very sorry to hear that. i know how you feel, my little sister had strep throat last week and now she's running another fever.

i hope all turns out well and that your sister feels better soon.

Thank you, I hope the same for your little sister too.

I know strep is aweful, hopefully it's not coming back.

Namikikyo

Calixti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Namikikyo

I wonder why or how this happens, doctors misdiagnosing that is. You'd think something like that could get them into some sort of trouble.
It was military doctors that told my mum I had a cold, too. I blame lack of accountability and oversight, and financial dependence on the military--my parents were going to sue for malpractice, until the higher-ups told my parents outright that if they dared, my dad would be dishonorably discharged and lose his pension.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 am

[quote="Namikikyo"

Well, part of it may come from under-trained staff or lack of staff or just outright some people in the department may not know what they are doing. There's a lot of factors that go into why a person would be misdiagnosed.

Diagnosing can be very difficult though; there are symptoms and signs of a disease, but some of those symptoms or signs may not always be present. There's diagnostic tools that may not be finely tuned or accurate enough at one point in the stage of disease, so the result of the test is negative. Appendicitis, from what my Pathophysiology teacher was explaining, is very often misdiagnosed because one of the key indicators that doctors and nurses look for is lower right abdomen pain. If that pain isn't there, the other symptoms are so general that often, people are sent home.

I'm not saying that healthcare should not be held accountable for misdiagnosis, but rather that it's hard to blame just one person. Sometimes there's so many factors that identifying one person for the misdiagnosis is too hard. I understand that it doesn't suck any less when it happens to yourself though!

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

ShadowCatSoul

Any punishment is better than none. Lets him know that he should expect consequences for his actions. Regardless of whether or not his intentions were good, his actions were wrong.

When I say a slap on the wrist, I mean he might get to have a conversation with his department head who will basically say, "dude, not cool. Seriously, that wasn't good. Okay, back to business".

Hell, I could write a harsher email than that.

TeaDidikai
Good luck.

Thank you.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games